• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Milophie

Can't Erase Disc In Roxio Creator Nxt Under Win 8

HP H8-1435, 10.0 GB Ram, Windows 8 64 Bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 with 1024 MB dedicated memory, DirectX 11 or better, 1610 GB hard drive available. I have the same problem, while in Roxio. When I try to erase a disc, no matter what Roxio program I am using, it says there is no disc installed. It doesn't matter if I am using a RW disc or an R disc. Roxio does not think there is a disc installed. I can use every other program on my computer, and they all recognize the DVD drive, only Roxio does not. I not only did a re-install a dozen times, I even re-installed the operating system, thus taking my computer back to the original configuration. This program does not operate in Windows 8. I keep getting promotions to upgrade to NXT Pro 2. Why should I have to pay another $100 for a program that doesn't work? Roxio/Corel should either refund the money I paid for NXT Pro, or upgrade me to NXT Pro 2 at NO CHARGE. I have been a loyal Roxio customer for years. I paid for Roxio 7.5, 8, 9, Creator Pro, and have never received a great product. There have been issues with every release, and now I have NXT Pro that will not run on Windows 8, even though it is certified to. At least on the previous generation programs, I was able to work around the issues, but this program just flat does not work. I can't continue to reinstall the operating system so I can use Roxio NXT Pro for a week or two. I would have complained when I first installed the program, but it took several weeks before the problem occurred. In this forum I followed the instructions for trying to fix the problem. That was when as a last resort I re-installed the operating system. It's not like I am sitting here, using this program every day of my life. I probably didn't use it for the previous several months. When I went to use it again today, the problem is back again. Come on Roxio/Corel, step up to the plate and support your product! There is no way you can contact anyone except through here. They don't have support, unless you pay for it. Pretty weak.

I can't continue to reinstall the operating system so I can use Roxio NXT Pro for a week or two. I would have complained when I first installed the program, but it took several weeks before the problem occurred.

So you can erase discs immediately after installing the suite, but after a week or two the ability disappears?

What antivirus or registry cleaners do you use?

So you can erase discs immediately after installing the suite, but after a week or two the ability disappears?

I think Brendon was giving you a hint about the cause ! See your post #3.

Milophie,

I wasn't hinting, but once you confirmed that it works okay for a while and then breaks and that you use Norton 360, I'm pretty sure that your Norton 360 is what's breaking it.

Is Norton doing some sort of registry 'cleaning' in its operation? If so, that's probably what's breaking Creator. Try turning off or adjusting Norton so that the registry cleaning part of the operation is suspended, and see if Creator keeps going okay.

Regards,

Brendon

Yes, I have Norton 360, but I have never had the Registry Cleaner on. It is turned off in the tasks menu, and has never been run. In order for me to use my Roxio Creator NXT Pro now, I have to re-install the entire operating system. As it is right now, it does not work, and will not work.

In order for me to use my Roxio Creator NXT Pro now, I have to re-install the entire operating system.

Sorry, I don't understand why you should need to reinstall the whole Operating System and I don't think it can be correct.

NXT should not be able to break your operating system.

Given the information you've supplied so far, all you should need to do is to reinstall NXT with Norton 360 disabled.

I have tried to just reinstall NXT, but when I do the same issue exists, "Drive Is Empty." I have followed the instructions from the discussion groups for doing a clean removal/install. The only way I have been able to see Roxio was to do the Windows 8 Refresh feature, which I'm sure you're familiar with. After doing that, I installed Roxio before installing Norton, so there was no antivirus installed on my computer when I installed Roxio. The last thing I installed was Norton 360. I then used Roxio NXT Pro for a couple of projects, and it worked fine. I basically use my HP H8-1435 as a file server. I store all my date on it and access it from my laptop. I use the HP H8-1435 for Roxio because it is a much more powerful machine, has dedicated graphics, etc. I have a new project I wanted to start on the other day. I started loading pictures into videowave, and before I went too far, I decided to see whether I could burn a dvd, so I went right to mydvd. I could tell immediately that the problem was back. When I tried to add the movie created in videowave, the files on the left side of the screen were jumping all over the place. After finally grabbing the movie file, and trying to burn the dvd, I got the same old message, "Drive Empty." The problem I am having now, is that I spent $100 for a program that doesn't work, and there is no way for me to get support from Roxio/Corel unless I pay for it. That's just not right. I have been a loyal Roxio/Corel customer for many years. I still use WordPerfect Office and a variety of other Corel products, along with the various versions of Roxio I have purchased over the last 10 years or so. Roxio makes the easiest product for dvd authoring, but what good is it when I can't get it to work, and no one from Roxio/Corel is willing to offer me support, unless I pay for it?

"I then used Roxio NXT Pro for a couple of projects, and it worked fine" ... so that means that something in your system is breaking the Roxio program. The most likely culprit is Norton

I would love for that to be the case, however, I can't be the only person running Roxio NXT Pro and Norton 360. And for arguments sake, let's say it is Norton 360. What should I do in my Norton 360 to eliminate the issue? Someone from Roxio/Corel should have a fix. If in fact it is Norton 360, the only way for me to use Roxio Creator NXT is to remove my anti-virus software. So I have a choice of tossing the $100 I spent for Roxio NXT Pro or running the risk of getting viruses in my computer. Again, my dispute here is with Roxio/Corel. They should offer me some sort of technical support for no charge, refund the money I spent on their product, or upgrade me at no charge to a product that works.

Another thing I failed to mention, I am running Roxio Creator NXT on my Lenovo Windows 7 laptop, which also has Norton 360 on it, without issues. I don't like to use the laptop for Roxio, as it is a little more cumbersome, as well as a little slow. The point being, it is running on a Windows 7 system with Norton 360, but won't run on Windows 8.

Another thing I failed to mention, I am running Roxio Creator NXT on my Lenovo Windows 7 laptop, which also has Norton 360 on it, without issues. I don't like to use the laptop for Roxio, as it is a little more cumbersome, as well as a little slow. The point being, it is running on a Windows 7 system with Norton 360, but won't run on Windows 8.

Norton Utilities has been highly successful, and they have re-invested their success into making versatile disk-cleaning software. A registry cleaner, disk defragmenter, services management function and system monitor are included in the program. The software also features some of the easiest to navigate interfaces on the market.

Your problem is with Norton or a W-8 setting, check your settings in both.

I 've ran Creator NXT Pro on W-8 and currently run Creator NXT2 Pro on W-8 with no problems.

Hi Jim, In post 17, you show you are running Windows 7. As I said in my last post, I am also running NXT Pro on Win 7 just fine. My issue is with Window 8. I am sure there are plenty on people running NXT Pro on Windows 8, and I think that's fantastic. However, I can't, and that is who I'm mostly concerned with. Do Roxio/Corel people monitor these forums? If so, why won't one of them respond to me. As I have said repeatedly, they should at least offer me some no charge technical support.

I didn't have a picture handy from Win 8 but it is the same! ^_^

NO Roxio provides these peer to peer forums but they are not monitored.

All of us agree, their support could be better but then someone has to PAY for that!

Edited by Jim_Hardin

My issue is with Window 8. I am sure there are plenty on people running NXT Pro on Windows 8, and I think that's fantastic. However, I can't, and that is who I'm mostly concerned with.

Is Roxio burn enabled on your W-8 machine?

I would disable Roxio Burn, reboot and see if the issue is resolved?

Unfortunately, I am not able to work on the machine right now due to a family emergency. I will have to wait to give that a try. I actually think I have Roxio Burn disabled, but I'll double check when I get back.