Cannot Burn Data To Disk

zoom99

Question

I inserted a dvd I previously wrote with data (but didn't finalize) using Creator 2012 and tried to append additional data files but Creator displayed the message - "this disk cannot be used for this project". I then used Creator to "get disk information" and it correctly came back with the files that were previously recorded and the fact that the disk was open and appendable. Why is Creator rejecting the disk? I tried this many times sometimes it does work and sometimes it doesn't. The DVD drive firmware and device drivers were reloaded and are up to date. The disk is clean with no scratches, etc. I can read the data on it fine with Windows Explorer. I have a Dell Dimension E510 using Windows XP. Thank you.

9 answers to this question

Thank you for the reply but I don't understand the comment about "importing". Whenever I append new data to an open DVD I simply click on the "Burn Disk Data" icon and Creator 2012 opens the disk and allows me to add the new files I want to burn. As I said for some reason Creator is not letting me add new data (says "this disk cannot be used for this project") even though when I use the "Get Disc Information" feature, Creator comes back with the disk in question as being open and appendable and even displays the info about the previously written data tracks. So Creator is recognizing the disk as OK and appendable but not letting me add data to it. (Note: I had no trouble adding data this way before but obviously something changed in my system.)

One more piece of information to the above post. I tried to Finalize the disk Creator 2012 would not allow me to append data to. Creator kicked out the disk with this message, "Please insert an appendable data disk that is CD Media or Write Once media". I tried reinserting the same disk but kept getting the same results even though when I use the "Get Disc Information" feature the Creator software recognizes this disk as an Open DVD-R. For some reason it will not let me append or finalize this disk. Again it is not scratched, etc.

Here is the bottom part of my Creator 2012 Burn Data Disc when I'm getting ready to append some more data to it.

post-208-0-28165900-1384641012_thumb.jpg

What does your Burn Data Disc say for that bottom line for that disc - Disc Type, Disc Size, Disc Space - when you have loaded that disc and it's rejecting it?

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon!

It might be good to review the steps needed...

Set the Options:

(note: General tab Type Must Be set to - TAO Open)

post-39730-0-33791300-1384693226_thumb.jpg

Add Files/Folders & Burn:

post-39730-0-20967900-1384693231_thumb.jpg

Eject - New Project - Insert Disc:

(existing files will be imported into project)

post-39730-0-45355500-1384693240_thumb.jpg

Add More:

post-39730-0-59444300-1384693247_thumb.jpg

If done properly, your disc will remain Open:

post-39730-0-38242300-1384693233_thumb.jpg

And you would be able to Finialize when you wanted to do that:

post-39730-0-59609500-1384693250_thumb.jpg

I tried this many times sometimes it does work and sometimes it doesn't.

I don't think this is a method problem, Jim, else you wouldn't see "sometimes it does work".

That's why I was asking what Burn Data Disc [instead of Get Disc Info] is saying about the disc it won't append to. I want to know what Burn Data Disc thinks it is seeing in the drive.

Regards,

Brendon

Thank you Jim and Brendon for taking the time to respond. The problem just got worse. My system no longer recognizes DVD's when I install them in the drive. The drves light blinks a few times and then eventually goes out but no files open. I tried different DVD each containing folders of pictures but none load. Don't know whether or not this is of significance but my Dell Dimension E510 originally came with Roxio Creator. I downloaded Creator 2012. Both are on in my system - I tried deleting Roxio Creator but it wasn't listed in my programs even though I can see its files with Windows Explorer.

Zoom99,

I'm sorry to say this, but I think your DVD drive has gone defective. You really need to get it checked by a serviceman or technician.

A failing drive would explain the sporadic performance you've reported, and also the reason you've come to the forum in the first place.

It could be something as simple as a dirty laser lens or the fault might require a new drive. Only a visit to the tech will tell.

Regards,

Brendon