Help Converting Ntsc In Video_Ts To Pal Disc

lw26@cornell.edu

Question

I have a DVD video of my daughter's wedding shot by her great uncle with his camcorder. He burned his edited footage to DVD disc for play in a tv set DVD player (likely using a windows machine and affiliated software- this shouldn't matter). I want to send a playable copy to our relatives in scandinavia (PAL system video country) the total movie is about 90 minutes. this is not a protected file.

here is what I have done so far:

1)MactheRipper- rip disc to firewire external drive. use this as source.

2) Toast 11 video tab, create DVD from: Video_TS folders then from Toast titaniom menu tab : preferences: video - choose PAL. burn disc. end up with a playable disc in NTSC format.

3) Toast 11 convert tab drag the VOB from video_TS folder into the pane: confirm that prefs is set to make a PAL file. conversion runs (first gives me an aleert about having NTSC files and output is set to create PAL) confirm. when this finishes try to burn converted to DVD single layer disc. get message that the media does not have enough space to record the file.. says disc has 4.38 gb & need 4.58 gb

4) use toast video editor to edit away some of the DVD content, breaking the vob into 2 shorter total length pieces. Convert again get the ntsc to pal conversion dialog box. after conversion, throws up an error dialog box. disc could not be recorded because of a Mac system error.

Is there any way for me to create a playable unedited PAL DVD from my NTSC Video_TS DVD?

my machine is aflat panel Aluminum frame iMac 4gb ram OS 10.6.8 this model has internal optical disc drive, FW 400 & FW 800 ports. I have successfully made many US std DVDs with it already.

2 answers to this question

I have a DVD video of my daughter's wedding shot by her great uncle with his camcorder. He burned his edited footage to DVD disc for play in a tv set DVD player (likely using a windows machine and affiliated software- this shouldn't matter). I want to send a playable copy to our relatives in scandinavia (PAL system video country) the total movie is about 90 minutes. this is not a protected file.

here is what I have done so far:

1)MactheRipper- rip disc to firewire external drive. use this as source.

2) Toast 11 video tab, create DVD from: Video_TS folders then from Toast titaniom menu tab : preferences: video - choose PAL. burn disc. end up with a playable disc in NTSC format.

3) Toast 11 convert tab drag the VOB from video_TS folder into the pane: confirm that prefs is set to make a PAL file. conversion runs (first gives me an aleert about having NTSC files and output is set to create PAL) confirm. when this finishes try to burn converted to DVD single layer disc. get message that the media does not have enough space to record the file.. says disc has 4.38 gb & need 4.58 gb

4) use toast video editor to edit away some of the DVD content, breaking the vob into 2 shorter total length pieces. Convert again get the ntsc to pal conversion dialog box. after conversion, throws up an error dialog box. disc could not be recorded because of a Mac system error.

Is there any way for me to create a playable unedited PAL DVD from my NTSC Video_TS DVD?

my machine is aflat panel Aluminum frame iMac 4gb ram OS 10.6.8 this model has internal optical disc drive, FW 400 & FW 800 ports. I have successfully made many US std DVDs with it already.

Many (if not most) European DVD players are able to play both NTSC and PAL. Why not check first to see if they can play NTSC?