• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Need Help With Usb Capture Device On Win 7 Pro 64 Bit

Scott4122

Question

Good afternoon,

One of my users was having problems with his WinXP compputer telling him that the USB Capture device would run better on a USB 2.0, blah blah, blah. So I had him install the software that came with the USB capture device on a WIndows 7 Pro 64 bit machine. THe software installed but woul dnot load the driver for the USB Capture device. I am working on his PC from a different office and cannot physically see what or how old this stuff is that he has. Anyway, his WinXP machine is being replaced next week any way. So, thinking that this Win7 Pro 64bit box was the problem compared to the WinXP 32bit box, I ordered new sofware from Roxio online for $20.

I uninstalled the old software and rebooted, and diabled Symantec Endpoint Protection on the machine. I then began the process of installing the new software which ran without any errors other than to tell me that Easy VHS to DVD 3 needed to be closed before installation could continue. I checked task managaer and there were no Roxio or EasyVHS applications or processes running that I could see other than the setup32.exe that was running to install the product. Installation finishes and I choose yes to restart the computer. I was logged in using my Administrator account and running the installation as an Administrator.

After the restart, I disable the SEP again, and insert the USB Device and look for it to be recognized. A box appears telling me that the driver installtion failed. I tried to manually update the driver in device manager for the "unknown USB device" using the driver in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3\EMBDA64 directoty. Windows stated that it already had the best driver installed.

Easy VHS to DVD does open and I can click on the options to record or edit, but it prompts me to connect the capture device. When I do so, Easy VHS appears to hang and Device Manager shows the same Uknown USB Device. I let the PC site like that for about 5 minutes before ending the Easy VHS task and rebooting the pc. I will say after the re-installation, it doesn't display the error message that the driver installtion failed nor does it put the red X icon down in the system tray any more.

I have looked in the community regarding this and can find a few articles that describe my problem. Most of them refer to installation instructions which I did not receive with my download. All I received was one very large .exe file. I am also not seeing the extra sound devices in device manager that the other posts reported.

The computer is HP Pro 3500 series with Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20 Ghz, 4GB Ram, 64 bit OS, 500GB HDD, running Windws 7 Pro SP1. The USB Capture device is a UB315-E ver 3.

I tried to call technical support, except that I cannot because my registration email did not contain a support code. I have reached out to Roxio customer service in hopes of getting one. This is kind of an emergency for me as we use this in our business to convert surveillance video from some of our old VHS-based camera systems to DVD for use in court cases. We have already been down a week with this, and I am not sure how much longer I have to trouble shoot this before buying another Easy DVD kit and installing on a second machine to stay productive. Since this is a 1-machine llicense, I am a bit cautious about try ing to install this on other machines in hopes of getting it to work.

1 answer to this question

He was lucky, you did almost EVERYTHING WRONG :huh:

USB 2 is not an option but Required!

post-39730-0-72236400-1385070565_thumb.jpg

Couple other little requirements in there that you may want to pay attention to...

You Can't just take a driver from another OS and slap it in a PC and expect it to work :wacko:

If the target PC does not have USB 2.0, you are done...

If you want to use it on the Win 7 PC you listed, here is what you need to do:

Unplug your Roxio Capture USB Device and put it aside until you are completely finished.

Download and install the
Uninstaller. Then run it in
Moderate Mode
to remove any traces of Roxio.

Then turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Now insert your Roxio Disc or download in your case.

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When the Install competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

Now it should work -_-