Enhancements Take Very Long

Mike Bailey

Question

My software is finally working, the delays mostly because of me, but when using the video enhancement feature it takes a very long time to complete. a converted 2 hour VHS file took almost 13 hours to run. it actually froze or terminated at 53% a couple of times before it actually ran. and then the appearance is basically the same as the same as the original. my PC is older, 4 gig ram, windows vista. is this long time due to my PC or is it normal. and how do i get the color correction to make a difference.

any help would be appreciated. i have about 40 VHS tapes to import to PC and edit.

Thanks

Edited by Mike Bailey

7 answers to this question

My software is finally working, the delays mostly because of me, but when using the video enhancement feature it takes a very long time to complete. a converted 2 hour VHS file took almost 13 hours to run. it actually froze or terminated at 53% a couple of times before it actually ran. and then the appearance is basically the same as the same as the original. my PC is older, 4 gig ram, windows vista. is this long time due to my PC or is it normal. and how do i get the color correction to make a difference.

any help would be appreciated. i have about 40 VHS tapes to import to PC and edit.

Thanks

I have never run the Video Enhancement feature except for short tests. I found it to be pretty useless. I have no idea how long it should take for a 2 hour video but 13 hours seems excessive.

BTW, I never capture such long videos in one session but prefer to capture in 15-20 minute clips especially if there is any editing required. It is much easier (and safer) to edit shorter clips.

Oops! Premature messaging! (if my previous reply went through).

My system is a dell inspiron 1545, 17.6 screen, Windows Vista home premium SP2, Intel core 2 duo CPU T6400 @2.00GHZ 2.00GHZ, 4 GB ram, 64-bit. I was using the color and video anti-shaking features. i was creating a file on the PC with highest resolution settings. maybe it is actually doing all it can for its capabilities. but it processes another 2 hour VHS tape without the enhancements in something like 90 minutes.

I have even been thinking of buying a new laptop with more memory, or better vid card, or ? if that would help, but am not even sure of what my problem is.

Thanks for your help!

Oops! Premature messaging! (if my previous reply went through).

My system is a dell inspiron 1545, 17.6 screen, Windows Vista home premium SP2, Intel core 2 duo CPU T6400 @2.00GHZ 2.00GHZ, 4 GB ram, 64-bit. I was using the color and video anti-shaking features. i was creating a file on the PC with highest resolution settings. maybe it is actually doing all it can for its capabilities. but it processes another 2 hour VHS tape without the enhancements in something like 90 minutes.

I have even been thinking of buying a new laptop with more memory, or better vid card, or ? if that would help, but am not even sure of what my problem is.

Thanks for your help!

What do you mean by "highest resolution settings"? Exactly what setting? If you are going to any kind of Hidef resolution then there is not much point in doing that - your final video quality might even be less then your source quality. After all VHS quality is not that good to start with and you will never improve on it.

90 minutes for a 2 hour tape would be actually quite good with the system you have.

i may have mistyped when i said 'highest resolution'. what i actually did was let the 'quality' slider button stay on 'best quality' rather than select 'smallest file size'. i assumed this larger file would yield the best video results, or actually at least not introduce any further drop in quality from what was on the tape due to forcing a smaller file size. Am i wrong?

A VHS Tape recorded in SP will be about 333 X 480 and nothing in the world can make it better -_-

A DVD in HQ is 720 X 480 @ 9 mbps...

So a DVD is about twice the quality of the source you are using However if you use less than HQ (Best Quality) you are reducing it even more :o

So that is what you want to stay with, Best Quality.

As Walt mentioned your PC along with the enhancements you do is what is slowing things down. RAM has Nothing to do with it! It is always the CPU speed that makes the difference!

For now, use what you have, just turn it loose on your project around bedtime :D

Did you figure out the Color Corrections?

One thing you may have noticed is that the corrections are applied to any entire clip... If you have a clip that has 2 portions that need enhancement, you will have to create separate clips!

You do that by taking the Original and using the Trim feature to remove everything else. Then apply the corrections and do the Export to a file. (that file should be Best Quality and the same resolution as your final output will be (720 X 480 for DVD).

Do this for all parts of your Original then combine the various pieces into one.

Just so you know, in the full Creator Editor you could split and apply enhancements in the same project just where you want them ;)

But for now, try out what I suggested on a test project or 2 and see what you think!