• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Copy & Convert Hangs

outerbank

Question

Copy and Convert continues to hang after opening. I've had this occur in the past at various times when operating in Win XP. Now that I've added Roxio Creator 2011 to my Win 7 pro system HDD, it is doing the "hang" again after clicking on it. It attempts to open and sometimes gets stuck at the window that advises about what can be copied. When unchecking the box that indicates, "Never show again", it has stopped working at this point. Other times it gets past this window and Copy & Convert opens. When it does open to the operating window, if I try to change the media I want to go to, such as DVD, it stops working and becomes difficult to close down the program. In fact, the last couple of times I had to use Task Mgr. to close out the program. I ran disc repair. Didn't seem to cure whatever ails it. I think I know already what the recommendation will be. A reinstall.

18 answers to this question

Copy and Convert continues to hang after opening. I've had this occur in the past at various times when operating in Win XP. Now that I've added Roxio Creator 2011 to my Win 7 pro system HDD, it is doing the "hang" again after clicking on it. It attempts to open and sometimes gets stuck at the window that advises about what can be copied. When unchecking the box that indicates, "Never show again", it has stopped working at this point. Other times it gets past this window and Copy & Convert opens. When it does open to the operating window, if I try to change the media I want to go to, such as DVD, it stops working and becomes difficult to close down the program. In fact, the last couple of times I had to use Task Mgr. to close out the program. I ran disc repair. Didn't seem to cure whatever ails it. I think I know already what the recommendation will be. A reinstall.

Here is 2011 Pro on my system opening Copy and Convert.

7.wmv

Edited by cdanteek

Viewed the video of how your Copy & Convert works in Win 7. I should be so lucky. Have tried to open C&C several times, even after two attempts at disc repair. No luck. One of the attempts got me past the opening window to the operating screen. Passed the curser over the right and left arrows below the screen showing the several modes in which to choose what to save/burn to. The arrows showed a highlight indicating they were active. However, once I clicked on one of the arrow buttons, the screen froze. Clicking on the shutdown "X" in the upper right corner opened a window that told me the program was not responding. After several clicks on the "X" and several messages that it was not responding, C&C finally closed.

On the disc repair operation, a pop window appeared indicating that Roxio burn needed to close, followed by two choices...Automatically close, which was checked, or close after a reboot. left it at the checked choice of Automatically close. Does it matter which choice is made? I tired to find a posting where it shows the exact steps that occur when performing a Roxio disc repair operation. Did not find one.

Looks like a reinstallation of Roxio Creator 2011 is in order. Still cannot get Copy & Convert to function. The last attempt did open the operating window and after hovering the curser over several of the buttons, the indication was that it had not yet froze. However, after clicking on one of the buttons, it froze. Had a difficult time closing down C&C. Are the reinstallation instructions any different for Win 7 as Win XP?

Not sure what disabling UAC does as it relates to the problem with Copy & Convert. That is, by disabling UAC does it mean disc repair will now work? Or does it mean Copy & Convert will work? Or does it merely relate to disabling Roxio Burn? You always want a more descript explanation from people who need help. You might want to do the same in this instance.

Not sure what disabling UAC does as it relates to the problem with Copy & Convert. That is, by disabling UAC does it mean disc repair will now work? Or does it mean Copy & Convert will work? Or does it merely relate to disabling Roxio Burn? You always want a more descript explanation from people who need help. You might want to do the same in this instance.

How long will it take you to TRY IT :wacko:

Well UAC was disabled as suggested. It didn't make a difference. Tried Roxio repair again. Here's what continues to occur. After it proceeds through configuring content and gathering information, the following message appears; "The following applications should be closed...Roxio Burn Launcher, Roxio Burn." Along with this message are two buttons, one that indicates "Automatically close applications", the other is "Do not close applications (reboot may be required)." I left the Automatically close button as checked and proceeded with the repair. The next message that appeared was, "Setup unable to close all applications. Be sure that applications holding files in use are closed before continuing with installation." Clicked Okay. The process continued until another message appeared..."The following should be closed, CP Monitor application." Again the automatically close button was energized and left on this option and continued with repair. Presumably, the repair was not completed because the noted applications were not closed. Here's are my questions. Should these apps be closed before doing the repair, or can they be closed when the messages appear during the repair operation? I did attempt closing the apps by going through msconfig and startup by unchecking Roxio Burn and CP Monitor before proceeding with repair again. Then after restarting the computer and inserting the Creator disc in the DVD/CD drive, nothing happened. Obviously, turning off Roxio Burn also turned off automatic launch from the DVD/CD drive. So how do I get the DVD/CD drive to read the disc?

I did determine how to open the installation disc in the DVD/CD drive, and the repair did proceed without any messages about turning off certain applications, as before (turned off Roxio Burner and CP Monitor applications at the Startup tab in msconfig prior to running repair). However, it did not solve the issue with Copy & Convert. In fact, conditions are worse. Now Copy & Convert hangs immediately upon the appearance of the opening Copy & Convert banner. And, it requires several attempts to end the program and to get back to a normal windows. As mentioned previously, reinstallation is on the horizon. Hopefully it solves the problem. I write hopefully, because this particular operation within the Roxio suite of programs has caused problems from the initial installation of Roxio Creator 2011 after it was installed on the Win XP system. Had to perform a reinstall on the XP system. Even after the reinstall, Copy & Convert did not seem to function properly. It was slow in operation. And sometimes quit responding. But it was possible to quit the program and start over. Gosh, I really dislike going through a reinstallation.

One last question before proceeding to complete uninstall of Creator 2011 and its reinstall. Would it be worthwhile to perform another repair now that it completed a repair without notifications of Roxio and CP Monitor apps being open?

Probably not but worth a try.

Others might suggest using Revo Uninstaller Pro using it in moderate mode then reinstall Roxio software.

Check out this link, http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/71615-installing-roxio-creator-2011-pro-on-w-7-ultimate-x-64/

Have decided to just forgo doing anything with Video Copy & Convert. Roxio Creator 2011 was initially installed on my computer, when I had just the Win XP operating system on it, in January 2011. Shortly thereafter it was discovered that Video Copy & Convert was not functioning properly. I had the computer tech guy that has worked on my computers in the past perform a clean uninstall and reinstall of Creator 2011. Looking back at what has occurred since the initial installation, Creator 2011 has been uninstalled and reinstalled a total of 3 times, all due to problems with Video Copy & Convert. Booted up the computer this morning in the Win XP operating mode. Opened Video Copy & Convert. I selected a previously made ISO image file and began the process of burning it to dvdrw. Almost immediately after starting the process, Video Copy and Convert froze. Had to end the process and close the program. Reopened Copy & Convert and tried again. It froze agiain. Decided to Google problems with Video Copy and Convert. Found a considerable number of postings about the program either crashing a system or program freezes. It seems apparent that Video Copy & Convert is a very unstable software program. Based on past experience and the numerous complaints about this program, it does not seem worth the effort to go through a clean uninstall and reinstall of Roxio Creator 2011 only to find that Video Copy & Convert may still be a nonfunctioning program. In any event, my plans are to look for a different brand copy & convert program.

• Like 1

Well folks usually don't post that their version of anyone's software works so searching you only find problems.

Have you tried Videowave, output, export as, purpose 'all' and click the download arrow next to 'video file quality?

Won't any of those output's work for your purpose?

No, I have not yet tried output, export as, etc in VideoWave. However, to test VideoWave and MyDVD, I created a small slide show with transitions and sound track within VideoWave and saved it. Opened My DVD and brought that slide show to MyDVD and then burned it successfully to a RWDVD. The DVD played without a problem on my DVD player. I don't usually have much occasion to use the other suite of programs, so I can't say for certain if there are any problems with these other programs. I do usually save an ISO image of my projects for future use.

You're correct that when you Google for problems, whatever it is, you're sure to find them. However, the number and extent can be a clue to the viability of a product. Thanks for your help and input.

Thanks for the input, but quite honestly you're showing me something that is way over my pay grade. I suppose that I use both VideoWave and MYDVD in the simplest way, and that my projects are simple. That is, slide shows have been created incorporating transitions, text and music tracks and then burn them to a DVD op DVDs. I really have no idea of what you are trying to get across. You'll need to provide more explanation.

I have a few dvds that I wish to copy. That is why I would like to get Video Copy & Convert operating. On to the non-functionality problem. I have another question. Since just recently installing Win 7, a Windows update notification appeared for Windows Defender. Not being familiar with this program, the name was Googled. It was a surprise to me that this is a Windows virus program. It was then checked to determine if this virus program is running in Win 7. It is. When the repair of Creator 2011 was attempted, the antivirus program that was installed (NOD32) was turned off. As previously posted, the repair of Creator 2011 has failed even after several attempts. Could it be that the Windows Defender program interfered with the repair? I did not stop its running because I didn't realize this program is included in Win 7. If there is that possibility, it will be turned off along with the other antivirus program and another attempt will be made.