• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 11 Needs A Major Update For Mavericks (10.9)

Ygor

Question

21 answers to this question

That makes no sense. I am not doing TiVo Transfer. I do not own a TiVo - Roamio or otherwise. I am trying to CONVERT video.

You must have me confused with three other guys.

Sorry, I was mistaken. When I clicked your ID to see your other posts it took me to a post from a user with a TiVo Transfer problem. I'm certainly interested in knowing of Toast incompatibilities with Mavericks. Feel free to tell me more about the conversion problem if you like.

Toast 11.1 certainly has problems with Mac 10.9. First when one creates a 'disc image' from a video file, that image cannot then subsequently be used to create a DVD. One can work around it by double-clicking on the disc image, and then create a DVD by dragging the video_TS file into Toast. Fine. However, the resulting DVD will not play on the MAC with its built-in drive - it never gets past the title page. Ironically, considering past problems with Toast, the DVD does play on other DVD players - and also plays on the 'Roxio video player', one of the extras in Toast (this has been the solution suggested on other sites), just not by the Mac itself. Which is a problem if you want to give a gift to someone expecting to play it on their Mac who doesn't have Toast. There must be some inherent incompatability between the Mac's DVD player and Toast 11.1 (at least - I'm actually not sure whether this problem existed with Mac 10.8 also; my impression is that it may well have). Anyway, something so fundamental should be fixable - and fixed.

Edited by davidhr

Toast 11.1 certainly has problems with Mac 10.9. First when one creates a 'disc image' from a video file, that image cannot then subsequently be used to create a DVD. One can work around it by double-clicking on the disc image, and then create a DVD by dragging the video_TS file into Toast. Fine. However, the resulting DVD will not play on the MAC with its built-in drive - it never gets past the title page. Ironically, considering past problems with Toast, the DVD does play on other DVD players - and also plays on the 'Roxio video player', one of the extras in Toast (this has been the solution suggested on other sites), just not by the Mac itself. Which is a problem if you want to give a gift to someone expecting to play it on their Mac who doesn't have Toast. There must be some inherent incompatability between the Mac's DVD player and Toast 11.1 (at least - I'm actually not sure whether this problem existed with Mac 10.8 also; my impression is that it may well have). Anyway, something so fundamental should be fixable - and fixed.

Are you saying that you were unable to burn the .toast disc image to DVD using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window? I'm not experiencing that problem.

You mention double clicking on at Toast disc image. To properly mount a .toast file, control-click on it in the Finder and choose Mount It from the contextual menu. There also is a Mount Image File command in the Toast Utilities menu and you can mount it by adding it to the Toast Copy window or Convert window with Image File selected as the format. When I did that there was no problem playing the video using DVD Player on the Mac.

Thanks for your reply.

1) Concerning playing DVDs created by Toast as an image file: I tried what you suggested, and using the DiskImageMounter did mount the .toast file onto the desktop. When I try to play it with DVD Player, it loads it and brings up the title page - and then goes no further. Any attempt to access the menu, play it, or anything else is greeted with a 'not permitted' sign. This occurs for all the DVDs that Toast creates; professional DVDs have no problem playing. BTW, as I noted, Roxio video player will play the Toast-created contents if instead of choosing the disc image file as a whole, I open it and choose the Video_TS folder inside. That trick however will not work for DVD Player.

2) As for creating (i.e., copying) DVDs from the Image file: When using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window, which requires me to drag an image file into the window, Toast just quits. And these are image files that Toast itself created. As I mentioned, my work around for this issue is just to double click on the .toast file, which opens up the folder to show me the Video_TS file, and drag that into the "create one or more DVD-video discs from existing Video_TS folders" choice under 'Video'.

In summary, it appears as if the Image file is useless except as a carrier for the Video_TS file, but even that won't play with DVD player.

3) This is bad enough, but after all, I certainly don't have to play the image file when I've made a DVD from its Video_TS folder. However, as I also mentioned, the Toast-created DVD itself won't play on the Mac via DVD player. The same trick used in (1) will work - I can open Roxio video player, and choose the Video_TS file from the mounted DVD, and that does play. But, again, what I'm concerned about is that if I give that DVD to someone else who has a Mac, but not Toast/Roxio video player, they too will just get to the title page and no further.

4) And at the great risk of repeating myself, ironically, the DVD which won't work on my Mac plays just fine in the DVD player hooked up to my TV (a Coby DVD player).

All of this used to work with no problem. Could I be doing something wrong when I create the image file? If so, why do the resultant DVDs work everywhere except with the Mac DVD player? I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, running OS X 10.9, and Toast 11.1.

Thanks again for trying...

David

Edited by davidhr

Looks like Toast has been updated for Mavericks, checkout MacUpdate for build 3175 or here

http://img.roxio.com...tanium_3175.dmg

Hope it's no hoax folks

Have fun, Hermie

The updates web page has conflicting information:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/toast/software_updatesv11.html

This updates any prior version of Toast 11 Titanium to version 11.1 (1067) and includes all previous version 11 updates.

...followed by that exact link.

But the version history

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/toast/version_history11.html

says :

Toast 11.2 (3175) Update includes:

• Add OS X Mavericks (10.9) compatibility

We shall see.

Thanks for your reply.

1) Concerning playing DVDs created by Toast as an image file: I tried what you suggested, and using the DiskImageMounter did mount the .toast file onto the desktop.

When control-clicking on a .toast file there should be a Mount It command available. You may need to scroll down to "Services" to see the Mount It option appear. DiskImageMounter mounts it as a data disc rather than as a video disc.

2) As for creating (i.e., copying) DVDs from the Image file: When using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window, which requires me to drag an image file into the window, Toast just quits.

I see there is a fix for that in the Toast 11.2 update mentioned elsewhere in this topic.

In summary, it appears as if the Image file is useless except as a carrier for the Video_TS file, but even that won't play with DVD player.

3) This is bad enough, but after all, I certainly don't have to play the image file when I've made a DVD from its Video_TS folder. However, as I also mentioned, the Toast-created DVD itself won't play on the Mac via DVD player. The same trick used in (1) will work - I can open Roxio video player, and choose the Video_TS file from the mounted DVD, and that does play. But, again, what I'm concerned about is that if I give that DVD to someone else who has a Mac, but not Toast/Roxio video player, they too will just get to the title page and no further.

This shouldn't be happening. A video DVD that plays on a standalone player should play on your Mac. This suggests that something is amiss with the Mac. You might try running the repair function in Disk Utility or better yet run DiskWarrior if you have it.

4) And at the great risk of repeating myself, ironically, the DVD which won't work on my Mac plays just fine in the DVD player hooked up to my TV (a Coby DVD player).

This indicates the DVD was properly authored and burned.

All of this used to work with no problem. Could I be doing something wrong when I create the image file? If so, why do the resultant DVDs work everywhere except with the Mac DVD player? I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, running OS X 10.9, and Toast 11.1.

What you're describing suggests that the problem is specific to your Mac and the DVD should play on other Macs. Your version of Toast should not be having this trouble with Mavericks.

Edited by tsantee

Looks like Toast has been updated for Mavericks, checkout MacUpdate for build 3175 or here

http://img.roxio.com...tanium_3175.dmg

Hope it's no hoax folks

Have fun, Hermie

Great find! For others that click on that link, wait a short while and the file will begin downloading. I suggest renaming your existing Toast 11 Titanium folder to something like Toast 11 Titanium (old) so that it doesn't get overwritten when installing this new version. I like to be sure the new one is working properly before trashing the old one. If you get the message that this is from an unidentified developer, go to the Security & Privacy panel in System Preferences to approve the opening of the Toast 11.2 installer.

Edited by tsantee

Well, the problems now appear to be solved, and I should let people know how that happened. I did upgrade to the latest version - it is Toast 11.2. That solved some of the issues, particularly some related to the disk image creation and subsequent use. But it still wouldn't play Toast-created DVDs. The Mac Forum suggested I try VLC player instead of Mac DVD Player - same problem, title page comes up, hitting play does not work, either directly or through the menu. Clicking on the title page does not work. But what does work is clicking on the little yellow dot next to the title. Maybe that should have been obvious, but when the more obvious commands failed, I didn't try it until your comment that I shouldn't be having this problem. BTW, that same strategy worked on both DVD Player and VLC. Crazy, huh? Anyway, thanks for your interest; if anyone else has this problem, perhaps they'll be saved some time.

Edited by davidhr

I've downloaded both the new Toast 11.2 update and the Blu-Ray plugin for Toast 11. Trying to install them on an iMac running 10.9.1 (Maverick). In both cases, I get an error message 'the installer can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer'. Anyone have a work-around?

I get an error message 'the installer can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer'. Anyone have a work-around?

This is due to a Mavericks security measure, which has settings in System Preferences > Security & Privacy.

To work around it on a per application basis, without changing the settings mentioned, use the contextual menu (right click or control-click) to open the installer. The warning will still appear, but the dialog window will now also have an Open button.

I'm having a problem with Toast...

I ask it to burn a DVD ISO image, and it just closes. No error message, nothing.

Any ideas? I switched because DVD2One was doing the same thing. Hope I didn't just waste $80. :(

Thanks.

ETA: Running 11.1 on Mavericks. Going to look for 11.2, but I purchased this just yesterday....

Edited by Zaphod

This should be resolved by installing Toast 11.2 which you get from Roxio's Software Updates page.

I'll check again, but my Toast just told me that 11.1 is up to date...

"Toast Titanium 11.1 (1072) is currently the newest version available."

ETA: Seems to be working! Stand by.... :)

Edited by Zaphod

I'll check again, but my Toast just told me that 11.1 is up to date...

"Toast Titanium 11.1 (1072) is currently the newest version available."

ETA: Seems to be working! Stand by.... :)

Regardless of what Toast says, there is a newer version (11.2) that is available only by downloading from Roxio's Software Updates page. It replaces your entire Toast 11 Titanium folder.

Regardless of what Toast says, there is a newer version (11.2) that is available only by downloading from Roxio's Software Updates page. It replaces your entire Toast 11 Titanium folder.

But they can't even get it right on the download page, which says that the download is "Toast v11.1 (1067)", even though the file available for download there is Toast v11.2 (3175).

and:

Important:

Before downloading, verify if you need this update. Select “About” from the “Toast Titanium” menu. If the version number is “11.1 (1067) ” or later, you do not need to download this update.