• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Problems With The Audio Filters

TK_Tech

Question

Toast is one buggy piece of software. I want to take a series of video clips from my AVCHD camcorder to a BD disc. Now if I download the video clips into Toast without any editing to the

clips and create a Disc Image, Toast performs beautifully and creates the Disc Image. However,

if I modify any of the clips with the audio filter GraphicEQ, Toast BLOWS-UP during the creation of the Disc Image file. The following error messages appears in sequence:

"The file '0001.m2ts' could not be accessed (Data Folk, -39)" and "Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS Error Result Code = -39"

The series of clips last only 30mins.

I tried to create a Disc Image for a clip that is 8 mins long and the same errors messages appears. I have no idea as to what could cause this. I tried a few things, but to no avail. I am at my wits end, if anyone have any suggestions that may remedy this situation, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

14 answers to this question

Thanks Tsantee for responding to my problem. It is interesting, how would one know that Toast can't modify Dolby AC-3 audio? I have a question for you. How does one convert the clips to QuickTime-playable format? Do I first create a Disc Image first with no audio editing then convert the resulting clips to the QuickTime-playable format and then modify the audio with audio filters? After the audio is modified through the audio filters, do I need to create a new Disc Image of this modified version?

Thanks for your time and knowledge, you are a Godsend!

I reread your original post and I was mistaken that your audio would be AC-3. The video from your AVCHD camcorder likely has AAC audio and that is QuickTime playable. I'd expect the filter to work and not result in the error. Something to test is to go to the custom encoder settings window and choose MPEG 4 as the encoding format. This window is accessed by clicking Customize... on the right part of the Toast window and then clicking Encoding and then Custom.

When Toast encodes video it writes the temporary video and audio streams in the Roxio Converted Items folder which is in the Documents folder by default. If you continue to get this error after the encoding is complete, try the following:

First, change the Toast preferences so the converted items folder is not automatically emptied. Then create a new Toast project and drag in just the video stream to the Toast Video window. Toast should ask you for the matching audio stream and opens a window to access it. If you do this Toast won't need to encode the video again and merely multiplex the video and audio together. It might be a workaround that resolves this for you.

Yes, Toast is buggy. Always has been. This version maybe a little less so, though.

Hi Tsantee,

I wish I had some good news for you but I don't. I tried your first suggestion of choosing MPEG 4 as the encoding format with no luck. I also tried changing Toast Preferences to not automatically emptying to (1 week) and this fell also. Your last suggestion I couldn't execute it because I don't know how to perform it. Could you please explain it to me in a little more detail. It is so frustrating to use Toast because it seems that each Toast project brings on it's own set of bugs. If it wasn't for you, I would have had to leave Toast a long time ago and move on! Thanks Again.

I just tried this out on my Mac and encountered the same error. The good news is my workaround works. Here is how:

In the Roxio Converted Items folder there should be a file ending with .264 and a file ending with .ac3 for each of your videos. I actually had two files ending with .264. One showed a file date later than the other. I started a new project window in Toast and dragged in the most recent .264 file. Toast alerted me that it had no audio and asked if I wanted to add the audio. I chose yes and Toast presented a window where I was able to locate the matching .ac3 file. (Keep doing this for additional videos you are including on your disc). I now needed to rename the video in the Toast window and do whatever else I wanted regarding the menu. At this point I could either burn the disc or save as a disc image. I chose the latter because I was only doing this as a test. Toast then proceeded to "multiplexing" and writing the disc image.

Let me know if you have questions about this process.

What I don't know is if the .ac3 audio file that was created by Toast actually had the audio adjustments applied. I'm presuming it did.

Tsantee,

I tried what you instructed me to do with the creation of the Disc Image file. I indeed built a disc image, but the resulting image didn't turn out so well. I lost 90% of the audio. The only audio that I had was the audio that the AUGraphic audio would affect the most the rest was silent, except for this strange click that occurred every 4-5 seconds. I tried a few things:

First I picked the latest .264 file and used the corresponding .ac3 audio file to build a disc image to no avail.

Second I picked the earlier .264 file that yielded the same result. So I thought may there is a problem with AUGraphic audio filter, so I used the same clip and modified the audio a bit with another filter. This time I used the audio filter AUFilter and just "as the sun rises" the build of the disc image processed failed again with the exact same errors.

This is truly incredible. I am assuming that all of the audio filters with Toast 11 doesn't work! Can I use a third party audio filter that want blow-up Toast? Tsantee, I appreciate all of your help, but this bug is a monster! Please let me know your thoughts.

I believe I've found a laborious workaround that doesn't require any other software. You still need to have the video-only file that was created in the Roxio Converted Items folder. I'll get back to that.

Go to Toast's Convert window and choose Audio Files as the format. Drag in your source AVCHD video. Toast will show only the audio in the window. Here you can apply the AU filter. Click the Convert button. Here I'd choose AAC as the format and choose Options so I can change the sample rate from 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz. Now save that. You can play the saved file with QuickTime Player to audition how it sounds.

Presuming the filter was applied the way you want, go back to the Toast Video window. Drag in the video-only file from the Roxio Converted Items folder. When Toast asks you to locate the audio file, select the one you just saved from the conversion. Now proceed with finishing your project.

I tried to find some shortcuts but this is the best I could come up with. Hope it works. If Toast fails, go back and convert the audio to 48 kHz AIFF to see if that one works better.

Edited by tsantee

Well Tsantee… I couldn't get to "first base"! I when to Toast's Convert Window and chose Audio File. I dragged my source AVCHD video over. Immediately I get the following prompt:

"00024.MTS was not added because it is not a sound file,

or is not in supported format"

So, I have a Disc Image of the video clips with no audio filters used. When I take a clip and drag it over to the Toast Convert

window. I immediately get the prompt:

"No files were added, because none of them were sound files or in a supported format"

Heck! I can't even get started with your new scheme.

Let me know where I am going wrong. Thanks!!!

Sorry, I wasn't aware the AVCHD video was in a .mts container. What a pain this has been. There still are options. One is to see if the freeware MPEG Streamclip can open the .mts video. If it can, it has an Export Audio option in its File menu. You should be able to use that in the Toast Convert window. Another option is to go to Toast's Custom Encoder Settings window and change the Audio setting to PCM. Then when Toast encodes the video for Blu-ray it writes a 48 kHz AIFF file rather than an AC-3 audio file. You then can drag that from the converted items folder to the Toast Convert window.

Edited by tsantee

Hi Tsantee,

Sorry it has been a while since we last communicated, the delay is because of the holidays, also it takes a little while to try out some of your prescriptions that may work for the problem. OK!, let me recap the problem that I am having.

I have some clips that have sections where the volume drops out and I wanted to use an audio filter that would increase the volume of these sections and leave the remaining sections untouched since the volume in these sections are fine. The audio filter that I need is the Gain Filter, but of course, Toast didn't offer this audio filter so you suggested that a try the filter AUGraphics and this is where my problems begin. Use of the AUGraphics filter is not ideal for this situation but, I can live with it.

To test the use of this filter, I used it on just one of my clips that is a little more that seven minutes long. When I tried to produce a BD disc image of the file, Toast blew-up. When I didn't apply the audio filter to the clip the BD disc image was produced with no problems. To test the system further, I tried another audio filter thinking that there could be a problem with just that particular audio filter, well Toast blew-up with this audio filter as well, so I am assuming that all of the audio filters in Toast aren't working which is a tragedy!

In the last communiqué, you had me work with video and audio files in the Roxio Converted Items folder.

The first work around was to use a freeware MPEG Streamclip to strip out the audio from the MTS clip and modify the audio in the Toast Convert window. Then return to the Toast Video window, drag the video-only file from the Roxio Converted Item folder then Toast would ask for a corresponding audio file and then drag in the modified audio file. I did all of this and Toast finished the process of producing the disc image; however, the playback was somewhat distorted! The second trick you had me try was to change the audio setting to PCM. When I did this, Toast didn't produce a AIFF file or maybe I could have done something wrong. I tried to follow your instructions as close as possible. This bug maybe to difficult to bypass… Please tell me your thoughts. Thanks again for your time.

Okay I think I've found the way to do this. Open your original source video in MPEG Streamclip. Choose Export Audio from the File menu and save the audio as an .aiff file. Now choose Save Track from the File menu and save just the video as a file. Give the video a different name ahead of the extension than is given to the audio file.

Open Toast and select Audio Files in the Convert window. Add the AIFF file. You should see an option to adjust the Gain. If you don't see that option, go to Toast Preferences and turn on the advanced audio mastering setting. You now can adjust the gain and do other audio manipulation. Click the Convert button and choose AIFF as the format, but click the Options button so that you can change the sample rate to 48 kHz (that keeps it unchanged from the source).

Now go to Toast's Video window and add the video file exported from MPEG Streamclip. Toast will ask for the audio. If it doesn't ask for the audio then you didn't give the video and audio files exported from MPEG Streamclip different names. If that is the case, delete the video from the Toast window, give the files different names and add the video again. When Toast asks for the audio select the one that was exported from the Toast Convert window.

This avoids any use of the audio effects in the Toast Video window. Be sure to go back to the Custom Encoder Settings window and change the preferred audio back to Dolby Digital from PCM.

Hi Tsantee,

It has been a while since I gotten back to you with your idea of applying the Gain function to AIFF audio track. I apologize for not getting back to you in a timely manner to let you know what happen. In the "nutshell", I gave up! I trying to separate the AIFF audio file from the MPEG Steamclip and wasn't able to do it, so I looked for other software that could do the job. Well lucky me, the software that I paid money for couldn't do the job either, it had "bugs", so I just quit! All I want to do is raise the volume of the audio in certain segments of a video clip. It should not be this "hard", so I think what I am left with is to have a professional perform this simply task. I just want to apologize for not getting back to you in a timely manner. It is the least that I can do considering all of the time that you put in to help me resolve this issue. Thanks for all that you do. You are a Godsend for the Roxio Community!

-TK_Tech