Sign in to follow this  
Martin Dekker

Is EMC tested on Vista?

Question

Hi,

Well... I installed EMC9 on a clean Vista RC1 machine (it was literally the first prog to be installed on it) and install itself went fine. After install though, no EMC program will start up. One program (creator classic) only shows a brief flash of the splash screen with no action afterwards whatsoever, other programs cause Windows to pop up a default error message that the program cannot be started and Windows is looking for a solution...

Martin

BTW not being able to log on to the forums from within IE7 in Vista doesn't make things easier.

19 answers to this question

There will be an upcoming release to make V9 Vista compatible.As of the initial release it is not certified to be.

Hi,

Well... I installed EMC9 on a clean Vista RC1 machine (it was literally the first prog to be installed on it) and install itself went fine. After install though, no EMC program will start up. One program (creator classic) only shows a brief flash of the splash screen with no action afterwards whatsoever, other programs cause Windows to pop up a default error message that the program cannot be started and Windows is looking for a solution...

Martin

BTW not being able to log on to the forums from within IE7 in Vista doesn't make things easier.

Drag to Disc at least came active after I installed it but I didn't bother to try using it. Did you try with XP Compatibility of a regular install in Vista?

By the time Vista is released, Roxio will have it ready to work with Vista.

There will be an upcoming release to make V9 Vista compatible.As of the initial release it is not certified to be.

Hi,

Thanks for the (ever) quick replies :) It would have been more clear to me if Roxio hasn't stated Vista in their requirements list... to me that means it should at least work under it :huh: I do understand there is no certification until at least Vista RTM.

Martin

Drag to Disc at least came active after I installed it but I didn't bother to try using it. Did you try with XP Compatibility of a regular install in Vista?

By the time Vista is released, Roxio will have it ready to work with Vista.

BTW... it's funny, I actually didn't want to install Drag to Disk, but I couldn't find the entry in the list to not install it. And indeed in the end it's there...

Yeah it's there by default.It does hve a seperate entry in Add/Remove you can use or just stop it from loading with mscofig.

Hi,

Thanks for the (ever) quick replies :)It would have been more clear to me if Roxio hasn't stated Vista in their requirements list... to me that means it should at least work under it :huh: I do understand there is no certification until at least Vista RTM.

Martin

BTW... it's funny, I actually didn't want to install Drag to Disk, but I couldn't find the entry in the list to not install it. And indeed in the end it's there...

I certainly understand your statement but Vista is not out yet so Roxio doesn't know what the final-final build will be so what they do now could certainly change.

Roxio doesn't know what the final-final build will be so what they do now could certainly change.

Aggreed... all I say is: if you don't know that it works, don't mention it... let alone state it as a requirement.

For now I would like to find out what the problem is (someone has to, before Vista RTM's and an EMC9 upgrade comes out :) ) My guess: product activation. What is the standard behavior of the programs when EMC9 is not activated?

BTW I took a closer look and actually all programs show a brief flash of the splash screen before shut down.

Compatibility mode, running as admin, switching of UAC... none works.

Martin

Aggreed... all I say is: if you don't know that it works, don't mention it... let alone state it as a requirement.

For now I would like to find out what the problem is (someone has to, before Vista RTM's and an EMC9 upgrade comes out :) ) My guess: product activation. What is the standard behavior of the programs when EMC9 is not activated?

BTW I took a closer look and actually all programs show a brief flash of the splash screen before shut down.

Compatibility mode, running as admin, switching of UAC... none works.

Martin

Are you asking what the behaviour is when 9 is not activated in Vista or XP? After I didn't get it working in Vista, I removed it. In 9, when I was not able to activate due to using IE7, the app shut down. Some have said that they can't work with mpeg files but can with wmv and avi files. For me, once IE7 was off my machine, activation was quick and painless and I've seen no evidence of it since.

If you do not activate the MPEG codec, you will not be able to work with MPEG 2 files. MyDVD then defaults to only creating VCDs and you can not create a DVD.

I believe they have licensed a 3rd party MPEG codec and need to know how many use it.

Compatibility always implies the final release version. If somehow you installed an XP beta, would you expect it to work flawlessly? (When I read that back, it sounds sarcastic, trust me, I don't mean to be sarcastic)

I know it can cause a little confusion but we would rather answer the hundreds of thousands of questions before they are asked "Will this work with Vista" Unfortunately we know the way we do that will cause a couple of pre-release issues. And we can handle them in a forum like this.

Compatibility always implies the final release version.

Hi,

Then I would suggest to remove the following sentence from your upgrade center information page regarding EMC 9:

"Vista compatibility based on current available pre-release versions of the software at the time of Creator 9 release."

Because that is the line that confuses me and will certainly confuse others then. (EMC9 is released on the same day as Vista RC1, so the above line would mean to me that they should work together)

Martin

Edited by mdekker

Hi,

Then I would suggest to remove the following sentence from your upgrade center information page regarding EMC 9:

"Vista compatibility based on current available pre-release versions of the software at the time of Creator 9 release."

Because that is the line that confuses me and will certainly confuse others then. (EMC9 is released on the same day as Vista RC1, so the above line would mean to me that they should work together)

Martin

Hmmm, I'm not a lawyer but I think you have a valid point. That sentence is definitely confusing to me too.

Hmmm, I'm not a lawyer but I think you have a valid point. That sentence is definitely confusing to me too.

And this sentence was the only reason for me buying the update (Version 9). I'm currently running VISTA (as productive platform) and have only rare small issues with other software only that nice (ironic) roxio software package does not work. So SW from vendors not stating they are comp. works - roxios not. Why did they not mention that it will NOT work currently. It seems that they did not even test it under RC1. Hopefully they will be nice guys and publish some hints or patches to get it running under VISTA - otherwise I think I need to use the money back option (I don't want to wait until jan 2007 when VISTA will be released for the retail market).

You can read John's answer here.

The problem is when will that final release be?

If I now wait for refund more then 30 days I think I will not get the money back and who will promise me that the final version will really work on my system?

I think a good option would be to offer a beta (and it should be called a beta not final) working together with VISTA to customers already bought V9 cause at the moment absolut none of the programs work (and not as statet in the readme: "Some components may require an update for full compatibility."). If this "patch" is only installable under VISTA other customers could not damage their system but VISTA users will be happy and might stay with Sonic.

Edited by endurance

The problem is when will that final release be?

If I now wait for refund more then 30 days I think I will not get the money back and who will promise me that the final version will really work on my system?

I think a good option would be to offer a beta (and it should be called a beta not final) working together with VISTA to customers already bought V9 cause at the moment absolut none of the programs work. If this "patch" is only installable under VISTA other customers could not damage their system but VISTA users will be happy and might stay with Sonic.

For the life of me I can't see why there is a problem. Vista is not complete and won't be until the end of the year or early January. Why does Roxio have to have a Vista working copy now? Yes, it's stated on the product that it's Vista compatible but it doesn't say Vista RC1 compatible. This product will still be on the shelves when Vista is released and that's why it says it's compatible.

For the life of me I can't see why there is a problem. Vista is not complete and won't be until the end of the year or early January. Why does Roxio have to have a Vista working copy now? Yes, it's stated on the product that it's Vista compatible but it doesn't say Vista RC1 compatible. This product will still be on the shelves when Vista is released and that's why it says it's compatible.

Sorry but from a quality assurance point of view this is not OK. They released a product some days ago so they canNOT know if it is VISTA compatible. It can only be compatible to currently available VISTA Versions (RC1) what they also confirm in the release note (readme.htm).

The product that might be compatible in jan is definitly NOT the one you get at the moment. They sentence in the readme stating that they might be some updates is absolutely correct but only if at least the major programs would work. I tried most of them and none worked and that's is defnitly no OK. Also after reading the readme again I saw the title "ReadMe File — June 2006". A readme of june for a product released in September??

Sorry maybe I'm currently a little bit nitpicking since I'm frustrated about roxio leaving their customers out in the rain.

Still hoping to get an update within the next month. :)

Edited by endurance

Sorry but from a quality assurance point of view this is not OK. They released a product some days ago so they canNOT know if it is VISTA compatible. It can only be compatible to currently available VISTA Versions (RC1) what they also confirm in the release note (readme.htm).

The product that might be compatible in jan is definitly NOT the one you get at the moment. They sentence in the readme stating that they might be some updates is absolutely correct but only if at least the major programs would work. I tried most of them and none worked and that's is defnitly no OK. Also after reading the readme again I saw the title "ReadMe File — June 2006". A readme of june for a product release in September??

Sorry maybe I'm currently a little bit nitpicking since I'm frustrated about roxio leaving their customers out in the rain.

Still hoping to get an update with the next month. :)

Well, I guess we will have to agree not to agree. You can't even buy Vista now so the point is moot for the vast majority of those who don't even have the beta installed on their system. Besides, even RC1 is timed to only work for a short time.

If you have a problem with EMC9 working on your XP system, then users here will try to help you. If not, I think we've both made our points known.

And this sentence was the only reason for me buying the update (Version 9). I'm currently running VISTA (as productive platform) and have only rare small issues with other software only that nice (ironic) roxio software package does not work. So SW from vendors not stating they are comp. works - roxios not. Why did they not mention that it will NOT work currently. It seems that they did not even test it under RC1. Hopefully they will be nice guys and publish some hints or patches to get it running under VISTA - otherwise I think I need to use the money back option (I don't want to wait until jan 2007 when VISTA will be released for the retail market).

Really, Vista isn't being sold to the general public, is it? I haven't seen it for sale anywhere, so as far as I am concerned, there is no Vista, not that I would get it, anyway.

When the real Vista stands up in January, and Roxio 9 doesn't work with it, then would be the time to complain.