neno

Pal Mini Dv To Ntsc

Question

I have some mini dv PAL tapes that I want transferred to NTSC digital video file using Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 plus. I am using a Sony DCR-HC30 ntsc camcorder so I am able to play and see the video in colour with no problem at all through the LCD screen on the camera. I am also using an Orei pal to NTSC converter to transmit the video signal to Roxio. Without the converter, I have no video signal on my PC but I do have audio. With the converter, I have both audio and video but I don't have a color video. It only displays in Black and white. what am I doing wrong? And how do I transfer these PAL tapes over to my PC.

20 answers to this question

Does it work when you connect the output of the converter to a TV.

That is NOT what Ogdens asked ! :angry: What he is suggesting is a way to test the converter. :)

I just tested it and The colour video signal on the TV does not with the Pal/NTSC converter but does work without the converter. Should I assume the converter is defective? Its brand new never been used until now. is there another way to do this?

Sorry, I was thinking of something else.

Ok I ust looked at that camcorder and see it is a digital mini DV camcorder. I know you said it but I didn't pick it up. You should have a firewire output on that camcorder to plug into a firewire post on your computer. Can you try that

It seems that I ust lost one of my keys on my key board - ust is missing the key.

No need for the converter.

Firewire is also called IlInk by Sony. Read this

Edited by sknis

I just tested it and The colour video signal on the TV does not with the Pal/NTSC converter but does work without the converter. Should I assume the converter is defective? Its brand new never been used until now. is there another way to do this?

Where did you get these PAL mini DVs? How do you know they are PAL? If they are PAL then how do you manage to play them on the NTSC camcorder?

The Sony DCR-HC30 ntsc camcorder can play both Pal And NTSC tapes. I Know the tapes are pal because it shows up in the top left of the LCD screen. The tapes belong to my brother in-law who recorded them in Europe with a pal camera.

Well, I purchased the i-link (Fire wire) cable and now I get a scrambled video signal. no image at all.

Well, I purchased the i-link (Fire wire) cable and now I get a scrambled video signal. no image at all.

What are you using to capture (program)? You have the ILink from the camera directly to the iLink on your computer, correct?

Yes, the i-link is connected to both camera and computer. I am trying to use Roxio easy vhs to dvd 3 plus to capture the video. Through Roxio there is no signal. Through windows movie maker there is a signal but it is scrambled. WindowsMovieMaker is what pops up when i connect the i-link cable.

What happens if you try to record using one of your own tapes?

Sorry if this seem basic. Did you get the right firewire cable? I don't know if you have the 4 pin to 4 pin the 6 pin to 6 pin or a 6 to4 pin.

Edited by sknis

Every thing works fine through regular Roxio capture with other tapes like VHS, 8mm, and mini DV. I am Only having a no colour issue with these PAL Mini DV's.

Please explain "regular Roxio capture" Have you tried to capture from the camcorder to the computer using the firewire and one of your tapes (no other device being used)?

Have you tried to capture using Windows Movie Maker?

PAL is a color function so it may be that issue but it should not have any effect on computer capture and playback.

After a bit more reading, I don't know if you can successfully play those PAL tapes and capture them with VHS to DVD.

"Regular Roxio capture" meaning with the Roxio capture device and Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus program. I just tried using an NTSC tape with Fire Wire cable and tried capturing to Windows Movie Maker with no problems. I have a 4 pin to 4 pin cable. Everything works fine, as it should with all other tapes on both types of capture devices. My Problem is that with the PAL, I have in Option 1.- Roxio with PAL to NTSC converter- no Colour and Option 2. Windows Movie Maker with Fire wire - a scrambled video.

As soon as I finished posting, a colour video signal image miraculously appeared through the Fire Wire connection. I guess it needed and hour or so to warm up. Does not make any sense, but it is apparently working.

Great ! You got an early Holiday present ! I'm not sure how though.

I have the mini DV camcorder by Panasonic. I have the firewire cord. I see where to plug it on the camcorder ...where is the firewire post on the computer..? in the back? or can I get an adapter. Thanks for your help!

Sorry, I was thinking of something else.

Ok I ust looked at that camcorder and see it is a digital mini DV camcorder. I know you said it but I didn't pick it up. You should have a firewire output on that camcorder to plug into a firewire post on your computer. Can you try that

It seems that I ust lost one of my keys on my key board - ust is missing the key.

No need for the converter.

Firewire is also called IlInk by Sony. Read this

It sound look like this on your computer:

post-58-0-65035100-1430174546_thumb.png

If it is a newer computer, it may not have a Firewire port. If it is a desktop, you can buy a card to put into your computer; if it is a laptop, then there may be a problem since the converter carbles Firewire to USB don't work well.

Panasonic should have a program that will capture from the camcorder through the AV port to the USB port.