Bobcat091

Audio In Mono Not Stereo

Question

I recently purchased Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus to upload videos from my Hi8 Sony Camcorder to the computer and eventually YouTube. I am having issues with the input. I have tried a number of cables, but no matter what I do the input sound is only coming out of my left speaker. I want it to be in stereo, but it isn't working. I have an S-Video cable for the video and a audio Y cable to split the sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

18 answers to this question

:huh: the Y cable IS the solution...

Does your Sony actually produce Stereo output?

Does your Y cable have a Stereo male plug? ~ some do not

When your software and camcorder is running in preview, do you see audio on both channels?

(note the 2 green bars at the bottom)

post-39730-0-06421700-1387197383_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the response. I am not sure if the Sony produces stereo or not, but I read for mono the Y should split it. Yes the Y splitter has male plugs. Also, yes when I am in the program I have both bars green, however when the right is plugged in it's just static sounding. If I unplug it then I am back to just the left channel. If I unplug the left then it's just static with the right and nothing more. Unplugging one, as expected, results in that channel (green bar) disappearing.

Edited by Bobcat091

Suggestion, read your manual. What you think is an audio plug may be a dual plug with one part of the pin for video and one part of the pin for the audio. If that is correct, then the S video is redundant. That static you hear is actually the video coming out of that part of the dual plug.

Since you didn't say which camcorder you have, I am guessing based on my old Sony camcorder. You take one side of the output from the camcorder and plug that into video in. You take the other side and go to a "y" connector and then plug each of the outputs from the 'Y" to the capture device.

Let us know if that works. It does take some playing around. Once it works, make up that connection and set it aside for the other captures you want to make.

Edited by sknis

For clarification purposes let me explain what I do know and what I have. My video camera is a Hi8 Sony, not sure which model. On the video camera I have an S-Video out and also a 3.5 mm jack which is how I used to transfer from Hi8 to VHS. The cable that I used then is a 3.5mm jack with just a yellow and black end. I tried that one with Roxio and I was just getting left channel audio.

After that I did some troubleshooting and reading online and I decided to try an S-Video cable and then a 3.5mm red/white for the audio. I did not double up video connections because I did not use the yellow, just s-video and the 3.5mm audio. I was getting left channel audio and fuzz/static on the right. When I took the right out the fuzz/static went away, but I only had left channel. So I currently am stumped and don't know what to do.

Please read your manual. That is NOT a 3.5 mm plug with both plugs for audio. It is a stereo port - it just looks like what you described. If you plug in the stereo pin one part of the pin will be used for video and one for audio. There is a separate "S' video jack. Don't use that.

What do you mean you don't know the model of the video camera - what is written on the side? Believe me. I had one of those cameras and that is how it works.

I should have specified I do not have the video camera in front of me right now. I can post that tonight. As for what came with roxio the Manuel was virtually useless, I read trough it and it did not solve my issue. As for the video camera, I do not have that Manuel.

Why should I not use the S-video port? The USB hub supports s-video. Based on the wires that I have stated that I have, should it work correctly? Or do I need to either do yellow/red/white and no a-video?

You can use s video if you want. Use the side of the audio plug that gives you the audio and plug that into a Y connection and plug both of the "Y" outputs to the left and right audio of the capture device. Do not use the half of the output from the camcorder that give you static because is is another video output.

Just trying to make your connection more simple.

I wish I could remember the model number of the Sony TRV that I had so I could post a picture.

The problem here is your connections :huh:

Assuring us that everything is correct and proper is a little silly in light of the fact that it does not work -_-

Step back and start changing things around and following suggestions and it will go pretty fast.

A lot of the differences in the plugs are very subtle:

Here is...

Ear buds:

post-39730-0-87592300-1387224079_thumb.jpg

Stereo Audio:

post-39730-0-40336800-1387224073_thumb.jpg

Combination Composite Video/Stereo Audio:

post-39730-0-35825300-1387224077_thumb.jpg

Yet at a glance, they all look pretty much alike. AND you can shove those connectors into the wrong female opening and there is no indication anything is wrong ;)

Okay here is what I have...

My camera:

post-116534-0-21977500-1387237746_thumb.jpg

post-116534-0-91081400-1387237753_thumb.jpg

One cable:

post-116534-0-47141400-1387237761_thumb.jpg

The cable that I used to connect to the VCR (back when I transferred to VHS):

post-116534-0-68162400-1387237769_thumb.jpg

As I stated earlier, I also have a S-Video cable that is not pictured.

Your Sony is a Mono audio camera.

Follow the directions from Post #8 for the connections to get stereo and use the S-Video cable.

post-68-0-04933800-1387239864_thumb.png

Thank you Tony!

The S-Video will be fine for the video portion.

But your other connector is a non-standard type (Sony never lets 'Standards' get in their way :P)

The Black plug will go into the White connection on the Roxio USB and the Red connector will remain empty. You could eliminate the S-Video and use the Yellow connector but that gains nothing for you.

Just for FYI, Steve was correct in Post #4. When you used a Y connector it was passing VIDEO through one of the plugs, hence the static was what Video sounds like when misdirected to a speaker :D

The problem was you used a Standard connection with a Non-Standard output -_-

My thought would be to get an RCA "Y" splitter (one female RCA to two male RCA connectors) to split the mono audio signal on the black connector to two signals to be fed into the red and white audio inputs. Just be sure to use the original cable and connect to the black (audio) output.

My thought would be to get an RCA "Y" splitter (one female RCA to two male RCA connectors) to split the mono audio signal on the black connector to two signals to be fed into the red and white audio inputs. Just be sure to use the original cable and connect to the black (audio) output.

That 'should work'... But I would prefer he do a little testing before jumping on something else ;)

I did try the black in the white when I first tested it and that was still mono.

Re-read post number #15 from Dave D-W?

Did you come out of the black audio port to a "Y" connection and then from that "y" to both the audio inputs? You have a mono camcorder so you have to simulate a stereo output.

I'm not sure how we can make it any clearer except to come to your home and set it up for you.

Edited by sknis

Right, your camera ONLY has a mono output. So you need to split that signal, which is coming out of the black connector, into two signals using a "Y" adapter and feed that into the red and white connectors of your capture device. Nothing really magic about it, your audio on your final product will be the same mono signals on both channels.