Videowave Runs Slow

FiveseveN

Question

First let me list my hardware and software.

16GB DDR3

120GB SSD

1.5 TB Render Drive

1.5 TB Storage Drive

1 TB Portable Drive (GCP wont work with my PC monitor, monitor issue forces HDCP so I have to cap on laptop)

FX 8150

AMD 7970

3x1 Eyefinity (6048x1080)

All watercooled.

Windows 8.1

RGCP with SP1

So here is my issue. Videowave is SLOW AS HECK! Trying to trim a 15 minute 720p (GCHDP Wont handle 1080 without massive artifacts for some reason) captured via HDMI is so terribly slow. Trimming a 15 minute clip down to 5 seconds takes between 5 and 10 minutes. Loading the video, then loading it into the trimmer, then trimming, then waiting for it to freeze, then playing it back to double check in and out, adjusting in and out, waiting for it to freeze, checking again, finalizing the trim, waiting for it to calculate pi to the fifty thousandth decimal, watching the UI reload, and then seeing the trimmed video in the preview pane. After all of that nine out of ten times it freezes again. All the while I am watching the process go from "not responding" to running and back again.

Does anyone else have this issue? I've run Videowave using compatibility modes, formatting and installing the application in Windows XP, Windows 7 32, Windows 7 64, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. Is there something I am missing?

Maybe it's the M2TS format?

Anyone have any clue of what is wrong here? I've been fighting this battle for months! I'm ready to give up.

Edited by FiveseveN
  • Like 1

6 answers to this question

Maybe I fixed this issue myself. I use Adobe After Effects CC to create intros. The suite came with media encoder. Transcoding the garbage M2TS format to MP4 seems to help VideoWave out A LOT. The M2TS output COULD be automatically transcoded on the fly but Roxio seems to have lost a lot of intelligence since the late 90s. I'll report back when I'm done transcoding 60 GB worth of captures.

Maybe I fixed this issue myself. I use Adobe After Effects CC to create intros. The suite came with media encoder. Transcoding the garbage M2TS format to MP4 seems to help VideoWave out A LOT. The M2TS output COULD be automatically transcoded on the fly but Roxio seems to have lost a lot of intelligence since the late 90s. I'll report back when I'm done transcoding 60 GB worth of captures.

Roxio did not do video (and especially not M2TS) in the late 90s so I don't see how it could have lost any intelligence.

In any case I have no problems with m2ts files.

I've been a long time Roxio customer. When they were creating Mactonish OS software it was seeping innovation, since Corel took over the quality of the software has been reduced drastically. GCHDPro's included software suite is a joke. It's not optimized by any means and I'm surprised it runs.

With that said.

Videowave takes forever to work with, since you have 20k+ posts I'm sure you've seen several threads pertaining to this issue, it's extremely common. I'm still transcoding M2TS to MP4 folks, I'll still report back with results. Preliminary findings suggest the conversion to MP4 is the way to go.

Alright the verdict is in! Converting the M2TS files to MP4 has DRAMATICALLY improved performance in VideoWave! It's like the big bang. The change in performance is almost absurd.

So just take your M2TS files and dump them over to MP4. Adobe Media Encoder can be used for a trial, but the $30ish a month subscription for good software is a good deal to. If you are serious.

Since Videowave is still a piece of extremely shaky and poorly written software, drag and drop your video files in. I have a problem where I cant select a folder in the media selector panel. The selection dropdown opens and closes. I still highly suggest you convert over and use a different editing application if you are willing to pay for different software. I own Adobe CC but find that Videowave is good for churning out basic video and then taking the export and editing that further in AE or PP. VideoWave is by far the worst software you can use for post-producton but making quick and dirty changes is quite a bit easier. Plus you paid for the software, so you should use it for something.

Nice computer and I'm sure the drivers are all up to date.

If you want to experiment a little. In Video Wave, go to tools/options/ and set the program to run in software render. Time it again. Some people have said that software render is sometimes faster and gives better quality (This is said for this and other video editing software).

Roxio's software is the fastest I have ever used and we get a lot of Adobe people who think Adobe is 'better' but use Roxio to Render :lol:

Your obvious prejudice against Roxio/Corel and even mts (world standard for all HD) when weighed against everyone else's experience makes your conclusions of questionable value -_-