• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burn Speed

jmilt7

Question

Mac OS 10.4.x, Mac Mini combo drive, 1 GB RAM.

Burning a CD. I select 1X burn speed but it doesn't burn at that speed but rather a much faster one (a 36 minute, more or less, audio file will burn in about 4 or 5 minutes. So whatever speed that would mean). I want to burn at 1 or 2x speed. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks

Jonathan M. Miller

4 answers to this question

Mac OS 10.4.x, Mac Mini combo drive, 1 GB RAM.

Burning a CD. I select 1X burn speed but it doesn't burn at that speed but rather a much faster one (a 36 minute, more or less, audio file will burn in about 4 or 5 minutes. So whatever speed that would mean). I want to burn at 1 or 2x speed. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks

Jonathan M. Miller

There's very little CD media anymore that supports 1X or 2X burning. The media I'm using right now has a minimum of 8X. You can see what speeds are supported with your media by inserting the disc and - after the media is recognized - in the Recorder Settings window press the button that shows the disc speeds. The ones in bold face are supported for burning on that disc.

I believe there are still some CD-Rs made that support slower burn speeds. You might check at meritline.com or contact their sales staff.

There's very little CD media anymore that supports 1X or 2X burning. The media I'm using right now has a minimum of 8X. You can see what speeds are supported with your media by inserting the disc and - after the media is recognized - in the Recorder Settings window press the button that shows the disc speeds. The ones in bold face are supported for burning on that disc.

I believe there are still some CD-Rs made that support slower burn speeds. You might check at meritline.com or contact their sales staff.

Thanks for the reply. And you are right about the supported burn speeds being in bold. I forgot to mention that 1x and 2x are in italics. In fact, up toe 8x are in italics. However, I can use the very same media in another computer, a Quicksilver 867 with a Superdrive (10.4.x, 1.2 GB RAM) and also using Toast 7 and I can burn at 1x speed. It's a long story but these two computers are at different locations and I have different audio files at each location. Also, perhaps any one reading this wonders why I want to burn at 1x. I have always heard that the slower burn speed is better for audio. Also, less chance of buffer underruns (which I did get just now) and also, I have noticed that I occasionally get pops or clicks when I burn at a greater speed (not always, but some times) that I don't at a the slower speed.

Thanks again,

Jonathan M. Miller

I've read the same about slow burn speeds being best for audio CDs. I've sometimes had problem with 8X on some cheap Memorex 48X media (which I bought a lot of before I learned better).

I should have stated that the bold face indicates what speeds a specific optical drive will burn to specific media. For instance, the same media in my LaCie Firewire DVD drive reports different available speeds than for that media in my Superdrive. Still, in my case, 8X is the slowest available either way.

You may need to use an older external CD burner to get support for the slower speed.

I've read the same about slow burn speeds being best for audio CDs. I've sometimes had problem with 8X on some cheap Memorex 48X media (which I bought a lot of before I learned better).

I should have stated that the bold face indicates what speeds a specific optical drive will burn to specific media. For instance, the same media in my LaCie Firewire DVD drive reports different available speeds than for that media in my Superdrive. Still, in my case, 8X is the slowest available either way.

You may need to use an older external CD burner to get support for the slower speed.

Ah, that is probably the answer. Thank you. I should have thought of that. I will check my quicksilver tomorrow to see if this is the case. But I am guessing it is. So it looks as if an external may be in my future. I do have an older one lying around somewhere.

Thanks again for clearing this all up.

Jonathan M. Miller

Archived