• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
AllenOdell

Nxt 2 Mydvd Crashes My Laptop About 30% Of The Way Through Encoding Mp4S

Question

My version of Roxio 2011 worked fine for a few years....well, since 2011....but a couple of weeks ago it would cause my laptop (Windows 7) to crash every time it got to about 30% through encoding my mp4 files.I had made no changes to my OS or anything else. I tried repairing it through the Control Panel, but that didn't work, so I checked the Roxio site. Roxio no longer supports Roxio 2011, so I bought the upgrade to NXT 2 yesterday. The exact same problem with NXT 2. Help! Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Right,

Your laptop did work well for several years, then it started to crash when working hard encoding videos.

Changing your software hasn't helped it, it still crashes when working hard encoding videos.

Without any more information to work on, I'd suspect that your laptop is running into trouble when it is worked hard for a sustained period. I would check for overheating.

Fluff and dust sucked in by the fan can clog the heatsink over time, and overheating of the CPU will crash the machine. Does your CPU fan run fast before this happens?

There are monitor programs which will read and record your laptop's temperature sensors. I'd start with one of them.

• Like 1

Thanks so much. While I am careful to keep the vents clear and the ambient temperature is cool, I do notice the fan seems to to run a lot. I will open up my laptop and blow out the dust and also install a monitoring program.

Be careful. Laptops can be like a can of worms - opening them up can be difficult, and getting them back together can be even worse.

• Like 1

Dear Guru,

Success! I was careful and opened up my laptop and used compressed air and blew out the fan, heat sink, and sundry nooks and crannies. I put the laptop back together and it started with no errors. Just now finished writing my first DVD since this problem started. You were right! Thanks again.

Excellent, and good to hear. Thanks for reporting back.

Brendon