• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

BDSolomon

Size Of Blu-Ray Versus Dvd

Question

I upgraded to Creator NXT 2 from Creator 2011 in part because apparently the version I bought with my Dell PC with Blu-Ray drive did not support Blu-Ray drives. (For that I blame Dell, not Roxio).

In any case, I was finding that captured video from VHS tapes, which was taking maybe 3G/hour, was not able to fit all that much on a DVD. (I captured it using a DVR function of a HAVA remote viewing device, since I failed miserably with TWO different direct capture devices). I’m not sure if that size sounds high for the quality of the video, but that’s just what it is.

I created DVDs… I could fit around 3 hours on a DVD, using either “as original recorded” or EP.

I got some blu-ray disks and the new program. Right off the bat, it tells me that using EP, before even putting in a movie, I can only save a little under 6 and a half hours. AND when I tried the same videos, it pretty much confirmed that.

I’m confused. This is 5x the size disks, and it only stores 2x as much video? This is off 6-8 hour VHS tape, so it is far from high quality, so I don’t see a reason to make it hi def. Is everything burned on Blu-Ray necessarily high def? Is it a program option to burn it to the same resolution as would be burned on DVD that would fit more hours on a disk? Or would a standard player not recognize and play it if it didn’t take all that much extra space (2-3 times as much space as the same video burned on DVD)?

Is it a clue that I don’t seem to be able to select the aspect ratio, on an empty blu-ray project or on a recorded video (in MyDVD)? It only shows 16:9. I went back to DVD and I DID have that option, although changing that didn’t change the time remaining in an empty project.

5 answers to this question

That seems confusing at first glance but the reality is very simple.

A 4.7 GB DVD holds 1 hour of HQ Movie.

A 25 GB BD holds 1 hour of HQ Movie.

(double the media size and you double the time capacity - sort of)

IF you could record a DVD Movie @ HQ onto a BD disc, then that 25 GB BD would hold about 5 hours... Of course that is simply not possible!

You like numbers, here they are:

DVD Time – DVD Capacity

4.7Gb:

• HQ = 1:06
  • SP = 1:37
  • LP = 2:22
  • ELP = 3:04

8.5 Gb:

• HQ = 2:00
  • SP = 2:57
  • LP = 4:19
  • ELP = 5:35

DVD AVCHD Capacity:

AVCHD on a 4.7 DVD (thanks to ggrussell)

• HQ – 00:40:24 @ 1920 X 1080P = 40 min
  • SP – 00:50:16 @ 1920 X 1080I
  • LP – 1:00:00 @ 1440 X 1080I
  • EP – 1:24:31 1280 X 720P

AVCHD on 8.5 DVD

• HQ – 1:13
  • SP – 1:24
  • LP – 1:39
  • EP – 2:15

Blu-ray 25 GB Capacity:

• HQ— 3:29
  • SP— 4:00
  • LP— 4:43
  • EP— 6:24

Blu-ray 50 GB Capacity:

• HQ— 6:59
  • SP— 8:02
  • LP— 9:27
  • EP— 12:50

Now keep in mind you have only started with VHS quality which is about 333 X 480... You can not reduce its quality in a DVD without suffing very badly, very quickly!!!

One thing you might try (I have not tried this yet) is consider adding them to a BD project set to ELP quality... In BD, ELP Quality is 1280 X 720 @ 15 Mbps which is almost double that of a DVD at HQ :huh:

I would do a sample first to make sure - BD-RE is you have one ;)

Then you could put up to 6+ Hours on a 25 GB or nearly 13 hours on a 50 GB.

Otherwise I would get some DL DVD's and go with that.

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Tnx for your response.

A 4.7 GB DVD holds 1 hour of HQ Movie.

A 25 GB BD holds 1 hour of HQ Movie.

(double the media size and you double the time capacity - sort of)

Actually, using your numbers BD is 5x the capacity, and 2x the time (at EP), or 3x the time (at SP).

So my guess is right and they are forcing a much higher resolution than I actually have on the BD. Are they somehow "upconverting" it, and in a way that will be useful, or just interpolated data and a useless ehnancement?

So there is no way to force the lower resolution that I actually have? Is it that players won't recognize lesser formats on BD? I was hoping that there was some option to do this since as you noted, my input resolution is much lower than even BD EP.

I guess 6 hours is at least enough to fit standard tapes, but some of mine are 7 or 8 hour tapes -- guess I'll have to split them up or reorganize them.

BTW, DVD-DL is, at every resolution and using your numbers, less than fits on BD. Unless you were referring to the fact that MAYBE the disks are cheaper. I just bought a spindle from newegg for about $.50/BD -- if they work that's not too bad, and I'm not sure my players handle DVD-DL.

Tnx for your response.

Actually, using your numbers BD is 5x the capacity, and 2x the time (at EP), or 3x the time (at SP).

So my guess is right and they are forcing a much higher resolution than I actually have on the BD. Are they somehow "upconverting" it, and in a way that will be useful, or just interpolated data and a useless ehnancement?

So there is no way to force the lower resolution that I actually have? Is it that players won't recognize lesser formats on BD? I was hoping that there was some option to do this since as you noted, my input resolution is much lower than even BD EP.

I guess 6 hours is at least enough to fit standard tapes, but some of mine are 7 or 8 hour tapes -- guess I'll have to split them up or reorganize them.

BTW, DVD-DL is, at every resolution and using your numbers, less than fits on BD. Unless you were referring to the fact that MAYBE the disks are cheaper. I just bought a spindle from newegg for about $.50/BD -- if they work that's not too bad, and I'm not sure my players handle DVD-DL.

Roxio uses a constant bit rate encoder instead of a variable bit rate encoder. That is the reason for the one hour in High Quality setting on single layer DVD and the other times on different media.

I explained the way IT WORKS!

You can dream up anything you want but that is how it works...

You explained the way IT WORKS "You like numbers, here they are: DVD Time – DVD Capacity"

I explained WHY, Roxio's constant bit rate encoder mpeg 2 compression at High Quality is hogging 9.7 mbps (megabit per second) and using so much disc capacity.