• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

irish_songbird

Opinion on video capture device

Question

Does anybody have an opinion about which would provide a better quality video between these two choices:

Plextor M402U or Pinnacle Dazzle DVC90

The Plextor has hardware encoding; the Pinnacle does not.

I used a Dazzle DVC90 and my output was a bit fuzzy; that may have been because it was coming out of my Tivo, and that's the way it's going to be. I don't know if using a different device would make a difference.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or just a free opinion? Both are supported by EMC, which is the software I intend to use with them.

Thanks,

irish_songbird

Dell Latitude D505/2GB memory/160GB hard drive

Windows XP Pro SP2

Memorex 16X DVD-RW

5 answers to this question

Doesn't your TIVO have USB to transfer files directly to the computer? You shouldn't need a capture device.

I wish! Unfortunately, I have a DirecTV Tivo, and they have disabled all of those cool features involving hooking it up to your home network.

irish_songbird

Edited by irish_songbird

Bummer... I do know that the Dazzle has issues with some types of USB chipsets (like the VIA USB). This is documented at Pinnacle's website. Some people have reported problems with Intel chipsets. Pinnacle recommends NEC.

Does anybody have an opinion about which would provide a better quality video between these two choices:

Plextor M402U or Pinnacle Dazzle DVC90

The Plextor has hardware encoding; the Pinnacle does not.

I used a Dazzle DVC90 and my output was a bit fuzzy; that may have been because it was coming out of my Tivo, and that's the way it's going to be. I don't know if using a different device would make a difference.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or just a free opinion? Both are supported by EMC, which is the software I intend to use with them.

Thanks,

irish_songbird

Dell Latitude D505/2GB memory/160GB hard drive

Windows XP Pro SP2

Memorex 16X DVD-RW

That's a good question that you may have to experiment with. I have a Pinnacle AV/DV internal card that gives perfectly clear captures but I have problems with audio sync even capturing as an avi file. I have used the DVC 90 and the image was slightly less clear but the audio was perfectly in sync for a one hour capture. I that case, I needed the audio sync more than I needed a perfectly clear video. I'm sure that the AV/DV was operating faster than my sound card so I'm not surprised. If you need the better image, don't use the DVC 90 but do capture in about 10 minute increments using AVI. You can try longer and then cut back to where the sync issue is minimal.

In this case, both those devices are connected to your computer via high speed USB so I'm not sure that you will see much of a difference.

Edited by sknis

That's a good question that you may have to experiment with. I have a Pinnacle AV/DV internal card that gives perfectly clear captures but I have problems with audio sync even capturing as an avi file. I have used the DVC 90 and the image was slightly less clear but the audio was perfectly in sync for a one hour capture. I that case, I needed the audio sync more than I needed a perfectly clear video. I'm sure that the AV/DV was operating faster than my sound card so I'm not surprised. If you need the better image, don't use the DVC 90 but do capture in about 10 minute increments using AVI. You can try longer and then cut back to where the sync issue is minimal.

In this case, both those devices are connected to your computer via high speed USB so I'm not sure that you will see much of a difference.

After doing some research on this, I've decided to buy the Plextor device. There are tons of positive reviews about it. In addition to MPEG-1/MPEG-2, it does MPEG-4 and DIVx encoding. Additionally, it does hardware encoding rather than software encoding, so I'm hoping that will reduce the load on my laptop and maybe help my audio sync problems, which I had with the Dazzle device. I think the audio sync can be impacted by many things, and you pretty much have to shut down everything else on your PC to reduce that problem.

Thanks for your input!

irish_songbird