JCN9801

Roxio Nxt Pro Media Manager.14.exe Crashes Frequently

50% of the time I start Roxio NXT Pro Media Manager (either from short cut or from Roxio Central Tools) it crashes when switching devicee and folder.

New installation. Simultaneous running Media Capture USB (never a problem under Creator 11 -- Version 11 USB 2681 device failed so I had to upgrade.)

Eventvwr log:

Event ID: 1000

Faulting application name: MediaManager14.exe, version: 14.4.2.44, time stamp: 0x5006c9bd

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x000ce753

Faulting process id: 0x804

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf168214c05b28

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio Creator NXT\Media Manager\MediaManager14.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 65f0aaf8-8275-11e3-b250-2c27d7a9fbb9

Any suggestions?

Am I just clicking on the sort by filename column too quickly?

P.S. Is there a way to add Media Manage to the Roxio Central home page --> frequent tasks?

---JCN

I never have any issues with mine, and I use it often from a Shortcut I created...

Why don't you turn off your AV and Firewalls then run a Repair on the Install?

I never have any issues with mine, and I use it often from a Shortcut I created...

Why don't you turn off your AV and Firewalls then run a Repair on the Install?

Problem seems to be back. It takes Roxio Central down with it but leaves Video Capture running unaffected.

There seems to have been a Windows Update (several of them) around 8/27/2013 that modified ntdll.dll which is the Roxio faulting module in this situtation..

I am unfamiliar with a way of sniffing out which one of these updates may have been the culprit - do I check the registry? What do I look for?

I have, for the time being, given up on WMP (posted to MS forum - but they will probably say it isn't there problem).

Windows Media Central seems to work well enough as a substitute.

I would switch my default program over to Roxio MM14 but not given the problems I am having right now.

Trying your repair install suggestion.

Does Roxio repair write a log file somewhere saying what, if anything, was modified?

Thanks again,

JCN

step back a few steps and ask yourself, 'Why is this not happening to anyone else???'

Reg Cleaners even over zealious AV programs can wreck settings.

A more extensive repair is in order: (Add Nothing - Skip Nothing!)

Download and install the
Uninstaller. Then run it in
Moderate Mode
to remove any traces of Roxio.

Then turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Now insert your Roxio Disc.

When the Install competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

I tried the Revo uninstall per your directions:

I reinstalled only the Roxio Creator NXT Pro piece (option 1 of 3); so that uninstalls would go faster.

Desktop Roxio Creator Pro shortcut no longer works (as per last 3 re-installs) with this message:

Faulting application name: RoxioCentralFx.exe, version: 5.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50077c71

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1116

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000c41f

Faulting process id: 0x1a40

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf1846d5b6b1cb

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio Creator NXT\Roxio Central\RoxioCentralFx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 18f55045-843a-11e3-981e-2c27d7a9fbb9

The two main programs I used appear to still work from desktop created shortcuts: MediaManager14.exe and MediaCapture14.exe

So for now: ENOUGH! I will use these shortcuts!

I am convinced a recent Windows Update has played a role in my recent problems.

As per previous posts Windows Media Player still stops working on start-up with a reference to an NXT Roxio dll (per prev posts).

I do not expect any answer or help from posting on MS Forum (and of course not Roxio since I didn't pay the $25! -- with this and so many other problems I'd be better off buying the new upgrade version for $75! Not sure I would get any more or better support - see Amazon review below)

I dread another USB Capture device failing after reading the 50%+ ONE STAR reviews of the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD package on Amazon, newegg, etc

I suppose I will have to cough up the big upgrade bucks for NXT Pro 2 uprgrade or whatever the current el primo version is at that time.

One example: http://www.amazon.com/review/R16LOJY38E1TW4/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R16LOJY38E1TW4

Another set of reviews on the NXT version (2012): http://www.amazon.com/Roxio-Creator-Pro-2012-Version/product-reviews/B005CELHJC/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt_sr_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

("why is no one else having these issues?")

If I had the time to research a different <$150 USB capture solution with better reviews I would move to another product.

Many of these gadgets seem to be look-a-like clones of each other with the same packaged outdated drivers, indiscernible chipsets from Taiwan OEMs, complex customized updates, etc. Quality ever declining.... Almost makes me want to switch to a Mac!

I wish to re-iterate that I NEVER had these problems with Creator 2009 / 2010 under Win XP, nor 2010 / 2011 under Windows 7 Ultimate.

MediaManager12.exe was even more stable than Windows Explorer (context menu handler issues)!

Thanks for all of your help... Close, Reboot, Restart is my Roxio mantra from here fwd...

Done for now!

JCN

Well now I went and did it!

"License key has been used too many times"

Now nothing will install! I thought license keys were tied to CPU IDs or something.... naive me!

Does anybody have a way around this? I tried calling the 877 "sales" number in India (since there doesn't seem to be any other thing they are interested in) and have been on TOTALLY SILENT HOLD for 20 minutes and I have to make an airport run in 5 minutes.

Can it get any worse? (Somebody at MS suggested an install with an alternator administrator account....)

Guess I will re-image my C: drive back to 8:00 am this morning and try to pretend that most of today did not happen....

---JCN

JCN9801,

For some reason someone in Roxio decided to limit the number of installs a key can do to 10. This was a less than helpful strategy, since all you need to do is fumble an install or need to reinstall and you're up that well-known creek without a paddle.

Fortunately we know of a marvelous support person who can reset your key count.

Please follow the advice in post #14 of this topic to contact Rox-Ralf. He can help you.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/90161-roxio-nxt-reset/?do=findComment&comment=454242

Regards,

Brendon

Got the license count reset but that is about all...

This is the final, I guess, "washed hands" response I will get from Roxio including all of extra info they requested (why bother?): error logs, mini-dumps, screen shots, etc.

The issue with RoxioCentralFx "not starting" is completely ignored, wonder if anybody is "trained" to look at tha ( would I guess not reading the comment below.

Windows Media Player 12 has a conflict with dsfOggDemux2.dll (confirmed by temp renaming it - then it works, but Roxio MM14.exe will not. Reversible.)

I don't suppose requesting an elevation (if they even have such a thing) on a 2 year old product will do any good without an extra $25-$50 premium support ticket. Time to cough up another $100+ for the NXT Pro 2? But if that breaks upon installation they probably can't fix that either!

What does anybody suggest I do further, if anything?

Just reimage my system back to before all of this non-sense started?

Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support.

I really appreciate the detailed information that you provided.

Unfortunately, I really can't tell if there's a conflict within the registry as we are not trained to go further within the registry of WMP or even in the Roxio products. It might be a WMP issue but we can't confirm it on our end.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,

Ralf Jayrald

Close out: Finally re-imaged by system drive back to 17-Jan-2013 state. Slight pain sync'ing up with current browser settings, a few re-dos, installs, etc.

RoxioMediaCentral.exe now works.. MC14.exe and MM14.exe work from short-cuts. MC14 also launches from RMC as should be the case.

Curiosity: Any recent backup image (even e.g., Monday) mounted as a virtual drive would launch RMC normally. But not from existing C: drive. Go figure.

WMP is still broken with dsfOggDemux2.dll Roxio version / loading conflict (demonstrable and reversible).

Changed all movie clip types over to Windows Media Center which plays then fine.

Curiously, if you try to "remove Windows features" (from control panel) with WMC it also removes WMP - so there is some relationship / dependency here.

I looked at the MS KB on DLL loading order and it was way too much brain strain for me, for right now.

I will report to developers at www.Xiph.org to see what insights they might have about the DLL stuff..

Otherwise I am back up and running. Will probably buy Pro version of Revo Uninstaller and track installed S/W from here forward. Thanks for the tip Brendon. 3 stars :)

---JCN

Thanks for the tip Brendon. 3 stars :)

---JCN

Thanks to the excellent Rox-Ralf! :)

Brendon

Sorry guys to re-visit this issue: MM14 crashes frequently. Again. (Let's ignore the DLL problem with Windows Media Player 12 for now - one issue at a time.)

This is now after re-imaging my system drive to its state on 1-17-2014 -- my first successful install of Roxio Creator NXT Pro when everything appeared to work.

Roxio Media Central is alive and well once again.

Roxio Media Capture works as advertised.

I added 5 MPEG-2 content folders to the Microsoft Explorer's main Library --> Video \ Public Videos\

MM14 upon start-up from desktop short-cut appears to pick these up as monitored folders

From Split Pane view --> Right pane I can list Detail view (can't do this from the MM14 View Toolbar - crashes)

However if I attempt to scroll down this list, several hundred MPEG-2 files in 2 internal drive partitions; 5 single depth folders totals, MM14 crashes (as before):

Faulting application name: MediaManager14.exe, version: 14.4.2.44, time stamp: 0x5006c9bd

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x000ce753

Faulting process id: 0x19e0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf2507f6184e20

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio Creator NXT\Media Manager\MediaManager14.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Report Id: a252e767-90fb-11e3-a196-2c27d7a9fbb9

My question is why is a Roxio 32 bit faulting through a 64 bit ntdll.dll?

Repair install NEVER appeared to full finish every time I used it before and would repair things like Triple Scoop Music files which were never broken, progress bar would stop at about 40% and the whole repair process would just disappear. Never a finished / reboot indicator, etc. I have zero confidence that this is any solution and just further corrupts the registry.

Once it crashes MM14 is toast from thence forward. Then only recourse is to re-boot,.

I have asked Rox-Ralf for a 30 day trial loaner of NXT Pro 2 to see if these problems might have been co-incidentally fixed.

So far no reply but maybe we has the week-ends off.

If that works I would purchase the upgrade.

If I purchase a Premium Support Ticket instead can Roxio remote login and check my system to see what the problem might be using their sophisticated tools and knowledge?

Double clicking on an MPEG-2 file directly or setting it to be the "Default Video" open file association also causes this crash.

If somebody has a working Creator 2011 USB 2681 capture device that they wish to sell I can also got back to that version which always worked for me!

Approaching 4 weeks of frustration here.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience.

---JCN

Format C:\...

The problem is your PC and NOTHING is going to fix it until you you start from scratch.

You might be able to find it and fix it after a 100 hours of chasing your tail or just fix it with Format C:\ -_-

What I do in a case like this is get a new HDD and make my old drive secondary. That way I can transfer all my data to the new HDD after I have it up and running.

Nice attitude! :angry: It is always the fault of the poor technically inept user who does not have 32K+ posts to their credit! The sheer typing you have done boggles my mind!

To repeat for the umpteenth time: I had NO PROBLEMS with Roxio Creator 2009, 2010 nor 2011.

I have amply demonstrated a repeatable reversible problem with Windows Media Player 12 and a conflict with a specific Roxio Creator NXT Pro installed DLL: to wit: dsfOggDemux2.dll

If you will look at the version history of this set of CODEC libraries used by Roxio you will note that they are "pre-lease" www.Xiph.org is up to at least Version 1.3.x currently.

Rename this DLL and WMP12 works fine for MPEG-2 files!

Despite the supposed program dependencies: Windows Media Central will play my MPEG-2 files. With or without NXT installed.

Windows Media Player 12 will not play them with NXT installed. These Windows components install and uninstall together so independent investigation is impossible.

After my 1-17-2014 re-imaged system drive (which got RMC working again). I noticed very subtle instabilities within MM14. If I did VIEW -> DETAILS from the menu bar it would stop working.

If I worked carefully just in the RIGHT PANE I could get it to display and play my MPEG-2 files. But unlike Creator 2009-2011 double-clicking an MPEG-2 file never successfully just plays these files.

I tried adding my locations to Roxio MONITORED folders. That appeared to work but no longer. Upon reboot, and apparently now because I have "used" MM14 so frequently it appears on the HOME pane of RMC, it will take 10-15 seconds to start (displaying my files in a list, at some of them) but then crashes. Each subsequent launch crash is VERY RAPID. Must be that screwed up ntdll.dll on my system! I do not have sufficient time to make any resetting of folders or filters - the crashes are too quick, to get back to a working MM14 configuration (if I am even sure what that is / was).

FWIW: SFC / SCANNOW comes back clean. But surely there be must something it is missing on my screwed up computer.

Another recent curiosity (if anybody cares, which I doubt): Shortly after (minutes) when I added my MPEG-2 folders to the Windows Video library (which uses a WMP permissions service to insure sharing- right there in the EVENT VIEWER LOG). That is when MM14 starts showing instability, more or less, forever forward once it does STOP WORKING for the first time.

Basically WMP12 and MM14 just hate each other (but only on my stupid computer).

Actually on my 2nd internal laptop drive I do have a very clean, minimal installed Windows 7 bootable system.

When I feel up to it I will work the 16+ screws and reverse these drives and install NXT Pro over there. It might be 158 Windows Updates behind so it will take a while.

BTW: Corel WinDVD has no problem playing my MPEG-2 files at all, either.

How can it be "my computer" when Roxio Repair install, on its own from the DVD, ALWAYS wanders off into the weeds and recopies Triple Scoop Music content and DOES NOTHING to look for missing DLLs and or programs (I deliberately tested this by removing large chunks like the MM14 folder and the Roxio Common folder to another drive. NOTHING THERE IS EVER FIXED / RESTORED / RE-INSTALLED). Useless music files ALWAYS "fixed", real program problems NOT SO MUCH.

So what kind of "repair" function is this? What could "my computer" possibly have to do with something running off an install DVD?

I have looked at the Roxio Install logs - from mid January install -- and they are "clean" (error free).

At this point, good money after bad or not, I am going to put in for a PREMIUM ONE INCIDENT SUPPORT TICKET.

I am perfectly willing to have this $25 or whatever go up in smoke with no satisfactory resolution.

Maybe I will get another chance to fill out one of those Corel Quality Survey forms!

---JCN

After two Premium Support Tickets (2x$25), numerous emails, a DxDiag submitted report and a Support Engineer admission that I had amply demonstrated a problem with Media Manager crashing (versions 13, 14, and 15 -- all curiously (mis)labelled MediaManager12), I may have finally stumbled onto my solution:

I had switched in 2013 from COMCAST to FIOS and so I lost my FREE version of Norton Internet Security (running Creator 2011 SE at that time). Never had a MM problem. When Video Capture Device failed in early 2014 I installed NXT Pro laying around here. Running MSE and MS Firewall at that time. MM problems within a week upon first extensive use of MM. NXT Pro 2 did not help. Going back to 2011 SE also did not help (surprise).

Also re-created the problem Feb 2014 on a totally clean Dell Precision M6550 workstation (NXT Pro).

All under Windows 7 Ultimate or Pro x64.

Now, late April 2014, after 6+ weeks of TOTAL SILENCE from Roxio Tech Support (and moderator PMs) - not even an acknowledgement of anything received I gave up.

Recently, after evaluating 30 day free trials on 6+ security packages I decided to go back to Norton (this time 360 Premium Edition because of a deal at Staples). Surprisingly MM seemed slightly more stable. To pursue this further I then added my primary VIDEO drives, folders and sub-folders to the two NORTON AV "white-lists" "NO SCAN" and "NO SONAR".

Presto! MM has stopped crashing and works as before (mid 2013). Do not ask me why this was not needed with the COMCAST supplied version last year. I also do not know if putting my VIDEO folders on BOTH Norton white-lists is needed, perhaps only the second one (???) I don't care at this point -- it works! mbam pro can take care of the scheduled AV scans for me on those Norton excluded folders.

Some AV products make white-listing difficult or impossible. If you are having strange Creator problems I would suggest trying this to see if it helps and maybe switching to Norton products and their white-listing features.

And that is why, Mr. Hardin, "me and nobody else" with this particular problem!

• Like 1

JCN; Some strong registry cleaners like the one in 360 can cause problems by deleting necessary registry items. Don't use it, it is NOT needed regardless of what the hype about registry cleaners says.

I'm also glad you finally got it resolved; many people would have given up and gone elsewhere! :)

I'm going to try JCN's solution. Media Manager has caused me countless problems, he is not the only one. My solution has been to go into Windows registry settings for Media Manager and delete them, and the upon restart it and Roxio Central will run normally for a short period of time before hanging up again. I'm glad Mr. Hardin never has any problems with Roxio or Media Manager, however as posted here, most people do have trouble. Roxio could be a superb program if some of these long standing issues were ever fixed by Roxio (now Corel).

You posted " I'm glad Mr. Hardin never has any problems with Roxio or Media Manager, however as posted here, most people do have trouble."

You may have opened yourself up to some abuse. You posted in a thread that was started in Jan 2014 with the last post in April saying that the problem was solved. I'm not sure how you get "most people".

One specific problem with Media Manager in the post was solved. I posted on this thread because it was the most recent topic I could find in the forum about problems caused by Media Manager. I don't know yet or for how long the solution given here will work for me. The fix I've been using is cumbersome and time consuming in deleting the Registry values over and over each time Media Manager clogs up, causing a long long delay in starting Roxio Central and the crashing of other modules. Media Manager is built as an integral part of Easy Media Creator and Roxio hasn't bothered to fix it over the years as it persists in the latest version.

Abuse? Yes, over the years on this forum I've gotten the same type of curt responses from Mr. Hardin as have others- that any problems must be because of user/computer errors, with him never offerning anything helpful in solutions. Telling the poster to get a new hard drive and or reformat the existing one is foolish Abuse is blaming the users for the problems who post here looking for help.