• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

romad

How Long Is Ev2D4M's "moment"?

Question

Mid-2011 iMac running Mac OS 10.7.5

Easy VHS to DVD Mac ver. 1.0.5

Toshiba DVR620KU VCR

S-Video connection

High record setting

OK, everything is connected and I see the tape start playing in the small screen, BEFORE I have pushed play on the vcr! Is this normal? How does it do that without the tape moving?

Next, when I click on the red "Start Recording" button, the small screen only displays what was on it at the moment the red button was clicked. Is this normal? If not, suggestions?

Any way to use the full screen of my iMac instead of the little 2"x3" one?

13 answers to this question

OK, I finished a 120 minute VHS tape about 2.25 hours ago and a screen with a progress bar and a phrase "One moment please..." appeared. I checked the progress bar and it is about 45% of the way across; based on this, it looks like it takes the software 2.5 times the duration of the recording to process the recording. Is this correct? Also the user guide included in the EV2D4M package doesn't mention this screen or processing.

Toshiba DVR620KU VCR

S-Video connection

High record setting

Edited by romad

Project was a total fail - 7.5 hours wasted.

I can't open the files created by EV2D4M with any other software OR even with EV2D4M. Final .mp4 file size for 2 hours of video was 63MB; .mpg file size is 4 KB (yes that is right, KiloBytes)

Is anybody here?

I'm here, but nobody from Corel/Roxio view this forum. Which capture application did you use? Was it Easy VHS to DVD Capture or Roxio Video Capture? I'd like to know more information about what took place.

Does the VCR work ok when plugged directly into a TV using the S-Video connection.?

I'm here, but nobody from Corel/Roxio view this forum. Which capture application did you use? Was it Easy VHS to DVD Capture or Roxio Video Capture? I'd like to know more information about what took place.

Posts #1 & #2 above pretty much cover it, but I'll copy them here:

Toshiba DVR620KU VCR

S-Video connection

High record setting

OK, everything is connected and I see the tape start playing in the small screen, BEFORE I have pushed play on the vcr! Is this normal? How does it do that without the tape moving?

Next, when I click on the red "Start Recording" button, the small screen only displays what was on it at the moment the red button was clicked. Is this normal? If not, suggestions?

Any way to use the full screen of my iMac instead of the little 2"x3" one?

The video signal IS getting through the S-Video cable to the video capture dongle in the setup since I can see it in the small setup screen; I'd have to move the VCR to the living room to connect it to a TV.

OK, I finished a 120 minute VHS tape about 2.25 hours ago and a screen with a progress bar and a phrase "One moment please..." appeared. I checked the progress bar and it is about 45% of the way across; based on this, it looks like it takes the software 2.5 times the duration of the recording to process the recording. Is this correct? Also the user guide included in the EV2D4M package doesn't mention this screen or processing.

Toshiba DVR620KU VCR

S-Video connection

High record setting

BTW, I found the tutorial video on this website and it shows the processing during the "One moment please..." screen as just zipping by; perhaps my mid-2011 2.5 GHz iMac i5 isn't powerful enough to do a conversion? It only has 20 GB of RAM; maybe I need to up it to 32 GB?

Any other info you need?

In your first post you say "everything is connected and I see the tape start playing in the small screen, BEFORE I have pushed play on the vcr!"....this is NOT normal.

Something is sending a video signal from you VCR to the capture device.

That is why I asked you to do a test with the VCR hooked up to the TV. You have to prove that you are getting a good source video from the VCR unit when you press the Play button.

Or use another VCR/Camcorder with a S-video out,..... borrow one if you have too.

Edited by ogdens

In your first post you say "everything is connected and I see the tape start playing in the small screen, BEFORE I have pushed play on the vcr!"....this is NOT normal.

Something is sending a video signal from you VCR to the capture device.

That is why I asked you to do a test with the VCR hooked up to the TV. You have to prove that you are getting a good source video from the VCR unit when you press the Play button.

Or use another VCR/Camcorder with a S-video out,..... borrow one if you have too.

Actually, I made a mistake - this new Toshiba unit automatically starts playing when a tape is inserted, so the first sentence of post #1 is "inoperative" (to quote Ron Ziegler). The video signal DOES come through when it is supposed to do so, i.e., in "Play" mode. I had to buy this new unit because my Panasonic VCR recently decided to not display a clear video signal, my Mitsubishi SVHS unit packed up a few years ago, and I hadn't gotten around to buying a new unit to replace them. The Toshiba was a rush buy because it was all Best Buy had.

I'm sorry that I started reading with the third post and missed the first two. At the end of the capture you're given an opportunity to send it to Toast or to iMovie. I'm presuming you're sending it to iMovie which requires the MPEG 2 video to be converted to h.264 MPEG 4. That requires a lot of time. If you sent it to Toast you could make a video DVD without any conversion because it is already in MPEG 2 format. A few years ago Roxio replaced the MPEG 2 capture application with Roxio Video Capture that captures in h.264 format in the first place. You should be using that app instead. I'll send you a private message with more information.

I'm sorry that I started reading with the third post and missed the first two. At the end of the capture you're given an opportunity to send it to Toast or to iMovie. I'm presuming you're sending it to iMovie which requires the MPEG 2 video to be converted to h.264 MPEG 4. That requires a lot of time. If you sent it to Toast you could make a video DVD without any conversion because it is already in MPEG 2 format. A few years ago Roxio replaced the MPEG 2 capture application with Roxio Video Capture that captures in h.264 format in the first place. You should be using that app instead. I'll send you a private message with more information.

The Getting Started Guide says that after capture, the video is saved in the Easy VHS... folder inside my ~/Movies folder. Well, it is there, or rather two copies are there: one is an MPEG (.mpg) file of 4KB, and the other is an MPEG-4 (.mp4) file of 63MB. But neither of them can be opened by either Toast, iMovie, QuickTime Player, VLC; I'm told that the file format is unsupported or unrecognized.

Since the video is unplayable in QuickTime it didn't get properly created and there isn't anything that can be done with it. Using Roxio Video Capture instead of Easy VHS to DVD Capture is your best solution unless you were going to directly send the captured video to Toast to burn a DVD without any editing.

I just moved the Toshiba into the living room and connected it to my A/V system with an S-Video cable. I got a good picture so I'm now trying to dub the video on to a DVD-R disc. If that is successful, I'll then see if I can rip the DVD to my iMac so that I can try to extract the video scenes I want.

Since the video is unplayable in QuickTime it didn't get properly created and there isn't anything that can be done with it. Using Roxio Video Capture instead of Easy VHS to DVD Capture is your best solution unless you were going to directly send the captured video to Toast to burn a DVD without any editing.

So, any idea as to why Easy VHS to DVD for Mac didn't work on my iMac? RAM? the i5 Intel processor? Mac OS 10.7.5?

Oops, just saw your PM. Thanks, I'll try that if my VHS>DVD-R>iMac workaround doesn't work.

Oh, BTW, I see there is a warning about using the "High" setting due to audio problems; since the VHS tapes I'm trying to convert are some I had made from 40+ years of 8mm & Super 8mm film that didn't have audio, would it be OK to use the High setting?

Edited by romad

So, any idea as to why Easy VHS to DVD for Mac didn't work on my iMac? RAM? the i5 Intel processor? Mac OS 10.7.5?

Oops, just saw your PM. Thanks, I'll try that if my VHS>DVD-R>iMac workaround doesn't work.

Oh, BTW, I see there is a warning about using the "High" setting due to audio problems; since the VHS tapes I'm trying to convert are some I had made from 40+ years of 8mm & Super 8mm film that didn't have audio, would it be OK to use the High setting?

Your earlier capture should have worked and probably would be fine if you did it again. Something went wrong in the conversion from mpeg2 to mpeg4. Likely it had something to do with the completion of writing the file. Is there any chance your Mac or its hard drive went to sleep during any of the conversion?

Since your videos have no audio then go ahead and use the high quality setting with Roxio Video Capture. I prefer the medium quality setting because it takes up less hard drive space and the h.264 video is immediately usable on many devices whereas Apple Intermediate Codec is just practical for using in a video-editing application such as iMovie. If you want to see if there is a quality difference capture just a few minutes at high quality and then capture the same segment in medium quality. Let me know if you can see a difference.