• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
tdexterssr

copy protection

Have some dvds of special events that i would like to protect against copy. Anyone know of a software that is easy to use, not too expensive, and readily available?

Have some dvds of special events that i would like to protect against copy. Anyone know of a software that is easy to use, not too expensive, and readily available?

I don't know much about it but I no someone who works for a small software company and when I asked him a while back what they do for piracy, he said they had been using SafeDisc. Never had any need for this myself.

I don't know much about it but I no someone who works for a small software company and when I asked him a while back what they do for piracy, he said they had been using SafeDisc. Never had any need for this myself.

SafeDisc won't work for DVD-Video, not to mention licensing it would be pretty pricey. :)

A 10,000 foot view of the safe disc is as follows:

1) Disc is created (in manufacturing, not burned) with special sectors (bad sectors?)

2) The executable for the program being protected is wrapped in a safe disc wrapper

3) When the executable is launched, the wrapper checks for the special area on the disc.

If the special area on the original disc is found, the wrapper passes control to the rest of the executable. If it is not, it provides a message to insert the disc.

There isn't a good way to copy protect DVD-Video content, and even the high end applications which include CSS can not burn that to a disc, it is sent to an image sorts which is provided to a duplication facility.

SafeDisc won't work for DVD-Video, not to mention licensing it would be pretty pricey. :)

A 10,000 foot view of the safe disc is as follows:

1) Disc is created (in manufacturing, not burned) with special sectors (bad sectors?)

2) The executable for the program being protected is wrapped in a safe disc wrapper

3) When the executable is launched, the wrapper checks for the special area on the disc.

If the special area on the original disc is found, the wrapper passes control to the rest of the executable. If it is not, it provides a message to insert the disc.

There isn't a good way to copy protect DVD-Video content, and even the high end applications which include CSS can not burn that to a disc, it is sent to an image sorts which is provided to a duplication facility.

I guess that's why my buddy's company uses it. They create software for alarm and monitoring companies. No video work is needed.

Thanks for the cliff note version of Safedisc. (I don't own their stock either!)