• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MYDVD will not encode

MichaelC

Question

I have two copies of EMC8, plus one copy of EMC9. I have been trying to create DVD's using MYDVD. I add the necessary segments using the Add New Movie button. This takes some time before the browse function operates allowing the TS Folder and subsequent files to be selected. On EMC8 the size bar did not oprerate properly (only showing) the size of the menu, EMC9 appears to operate correctly in this respect. I can preview ok but with both versions when I select "Burn" the Burn Project dialog box comes up and says Current Task: Encoding Movie 1 of 5 (0%), but nothing further happens. Initially, I thought that space may have been a problem, but I have installed EMC9 on a brand new computer with ample resources. Can anyone please advise what I am doing wrong, or why the burning will not take place.

The files are from a Topfield PVR and have been edited using Mpeg Steamclip and converted using DivX for DVD

3 answers to this question

Are you trying to burn a video DVD? Then why convert them to DivX? Just take the files created by MPEG Streamclip and add those directly to MyDVD. MyDVD SHOULD NOT have to re-encode them if they are DVD compliant.

Someone else posted that there is a conflict between DivX 6.2 and the version thta Roxio installs (6.1).

Are you trying to burn a video DVD? Then why convert them to DivX? Just take the files created by MPEG Streamclip and add those directly to MyDVD. MyDVD SHOULD NOT have to re-encode them if they are DVD compliant.

Someone else posted that there is a conflict between DivX 6.2 and the version thta Roxio installs (6.1).

Yes, I am trying to burn video DVD's of multiple Topfield recordings so I have permanent copies of digital video files with a menu to select appropriate files for viewing.

Unfortunately, being new to ths video processing I don't know enough about the subject. I do know that the Topfield PVR has it's own proprietry MPEG 2 format and that MPEG Streamclip can edit this format simply, and without any issues. I also believe that the MPEG Streamclip output requires Authoring before being burnt to DVD. By converting the Streamclip outut file with Divx for DVD I am then able to add the contents of TS folders to Roxio MYDVD projects, but it is then that I am having this problem where the encoding will not take place.

When I add MP4 files to a DVD project MYDVD has no problems with transcoding and burning these files. I gather Roxio can't edit the Topfield files without using other programs?

Both MP4 and DivX fiels are HIGHLY compressed. If you the final output is for MyDVD to create a disc, you really should have MPEG Streamclip output to MPEG2. You shouldn't have any trouble at all with those in MyDVD.

Converting from format to format can not only cause issues, but you can lose quality at the same time.

I gather Roxio can't edit the Topfield files without using other programs?
No idea..have you tried it? If it outputs MPEG 2, good chance thta MyDVD will have no problems. MyDVD may recognize the files as TIVO type files and convert them on the fly. You'll never know until you try. File file extension does it use?

Doing a quick Google, looks like the Topfield uses standard TS files (transport stream). You can transfer those to your PC and rename the extension to .MPG and MyDVD will most likely accept them fine.

Archived