Folks,

Product: Roxio Easy VHS to DVD3 Plus

My Computer and software:

- i7-2620M CPU 2.7 GHz

- 64 bit OS

- Microsoft Win 7 Pro

- Recording Media Sony (two different lots) and Memorex

Issue:

- Not all Finalize DVD's play on the Home DVD players (two used, one being a state-of-the art)

- but the DVD's do work on the computer of origin and other computers

Reviewed:

- It doesn't matter if it is a split movie or compressed

- It doesn't matter if I use a different manufacture's disk (does the manufacture matter as some have said, if so why isn't this in the instructions?)

- The files recorded on the disk are all there; BUP,IFO,VOB and like I mentioned they launch from the computer.

Help please. I am very disappointed because after converting the first 2 tapes and confirming they worked on computer and DVD player, I punched through 20 more tapes. I only then checked them on the computer when they finalized. Finally I checked them again on the Panasonic or Toshiba players, while putting the DVD in jewel cases. To our surprise we determined that 1/2 of the finalized disks would NOT play on the players, but were OK on the computer.

Since the purpose of this project was for an 80 year old, non computer user, to watch the DVD's, I sure would appreciate knowing how to resolve this issue fast please.

Thank you in advance,

Issue:

- Not all Finalize DVD's play on the Home DVD players (two used, one being a state-of-the art)

- but the DVD's do work on the computer of origin and other computers

Then it is the media - that alone proves it :lol:

They don't put anything in the manual for the same reason your car's owners manual has nothing about the make of tires, battery or wiper blades ;)

Verbatim (Singapore) and Taiyo Yuden (JVC) are 2 brands you will not have trouble with!

Reviewed:

- It doesn't matter if it is a split movie or compressed

- It doesn't matter if I use a different manufacturer's disk (does the manufacture matter as some have said, if so why isn't this in the instructions?)

- The files recorded on the disk are all there; BUP,IFO,VOB and like I mentioned they launch from the computer.

Thank you in advance,

To Compound the issue of poor quality media the Length of the DVD Movie DOES make a Big Difference!!!

DVDs hold:

4.7 GB = 1 Hour

8.5 GB = 2 Hours

You can try to ignore those limits but you have already seen what happens...

Always a good idea to Check things as you go ~ batch processing almost always leads to grief -_-

Thank you for your reply however this has NOT resolved my issues;

1. We have a 6 1/2 minute test transfer that has not worked on the two media I mentioned.

2. After I posted the help, I did go out and found a store that carried Verbatim 4.7 DVD. Came home and and use them to finalize a one and a half hour video split at 1 hour 1 min for Disk 1 and 29 mins for Disk 2. The disk was identifed as being present but when the burn button was pushed, about 3 seconds later I got the error message, " There was a problem writing to the disk" and the tray popped out.

Anything else you can think of, maybe having to do with the computer configuration or supporting hardware?

IT is your BURNER...

This is NOT what you described initially but if your burner is giving you trouble might consider a $20 replacement.

Still, before running out and buying one, is there some other PC (burner) you can try? Even a friends, who could temporally install the software and use your files. - it would be a good use of that Memorex media that you need to get rid of anyway :lol:

(fyi - "finalize" is actually a process that takes place at the end of authoring a DVD Movie. You have no control over it)

Let me just add another 2 cents worth of info. When you burn a DVD, there is no way to guarantee that it will play in every DVD set-top player. Some players are finicky, and in anecdotal experience, it's the more expensive players that are more likely to reject a burned disc. I have an expensive Sony DVD recorder unit. You'd think being a recorder that it would handle more media, right? Wrong. It routinely doesn't like recorded discs. On the other hand, our $30 Magnavox player usually plays any disc we put in it.

Probably less common, but something to consider, some players prefer DVD+ discs over DVD- discs, and vice versa. How do you know? Well, you can check the manual, some older players only accepted one or the other, most any newer player will list both, but there's no good way to really know without trying it.

So, you want certainties, but there really aren't any. All you can do is find a combination of burner, media and player(s) that work well for you.

Hope that helps!

Archived