• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Backing Up Drive On Laptop W/external Dvd

Turbogus

Question

Greetings from Oregon where we kiss where the sun don't shine.

Color me ignorant, but I'm struggling with performing my first backup using Creator DE 10.3. Can someone give me a step by step tutorial on which essential XP files to backup and the procedure?

I've just rercovered a bad sector on the HDD and before moe occur I'd like to be able to prepare.

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid.

Gus

6 answers to this question

Since Creator 10.3 was preloaded on this system I would like to use it if possible, rather than invest in more software as this is only a temporary system pendinjg the Company finally upgrading their computer.

So having no manual for Creator for a step by step I'm relying on the forum community for help.

Hello,

You need to backup your "system" rather than just a few files, so you can restore a working system if the drive dies on you.

I don't believe you will be able to use anything in your Creator 10.3 DE to back up your system.

There are two kinds of backups which concern you, [1] file backups, and [2] a system backup or "disaster backup"

The first will backup single files or groups of files. The second will backup and restore your whole working system.

Even the full commercial version of Creator 10 does not have the ability to do a system backup, so I don't believe your Dell version [which is a cut-down version of the commercial Creator] will have that ability.

To check, please go to Data and Backup > Backup files if you have that option.

See if that brings up Roxio BackOnTrack, and click on Disaster Recovery if you can see it.

post-208-0-80117400-1393980189_thumb.jpg

If that brings up a full Disaster Recovery menu then you're good to go, but even the full commercial Creator 10 doesn't have it.

Instead it offers an upgrade to NXT 2, which no longer has the ability [despite the adverts] to do a System Backup.

:(

You'll need to use other software such as Acronis or Norton Ghost to backup your system

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks for the clarification Brendon, short of 'using' computers I haven't even built a desktop system since Clinton was President.

Might I suggest you do an OS BU first (Make a restore point) and if you have any other BU software that will do BU's I suggest that. I use Acronis TI for all my hard drive BU's. When backing up your system make sure you do a BU of any hard drives that you are using as well not just the OS HD. (I'm referring to any HD's that you have stored or saved your Creator programs to)

Thanks for your quick response. Yep, first thing I did post crash was create a restore point. I already had data loss but it was inconsequential as this laptop is for running two web programs that the Company's obsolete computer cannot run. Since Creator 10.3 was preloaded on this system I would like to use it if possible, rather than invest in more software as this is only a temporary system pendinjg the Company finally upgrading their computer.

So having no manual for Creator for a step by step I'm relying on the forum community for help.

Archived