Gwynnyd

*how* Do I Use Some Of The Temporary Converted Files?

Question

I converted a whole bunch of little stuff, TV clips and YouTube captures mostly, into DVD format and it took 12 hours and ended up way too big to fit on one DVD. My bad for not checking a compressing option, but I left what I thought was enough room. Now what? It's sitting there waiting for me to insert a DVD, that it will reject as not being big enough. I only have a cheap DVD burner and it does not do double sided disks. If I cancel the burn entirely, I assume it will not let me go back and check the compression option without losing everything and I'll have to convert them all again. Ugh. Is there something I can do at this point to either split up the files onto several disks without converting them again or tell it compress them without having to reconvert them?

However, I have the Temporary Folder with the converted files. Presumably I can cancel the project in progress and add just some of the converted files in the Temporary folder to a new dvd project, splitting them up so they end up on several disks. But how?

I assume I add both the .ac3 and the .m2v copy of the file onto the new DVD project. Will it somehow hook the audio up with the video automatically making it just one file again on the DVD or will it go through another conversion process to hook them together? Will that take just as long as the first conversion making this a singularly pointless thing to do? Or is it quick?

And do I need to include the NVDxx_000.tmp file that presumably goes with it or just ignore the NVD files? If I do need to add them, I assume I'd just count to figure out which sequential number it is, since NVD01 as a name is not useful at all in deciding what clip it goes with if they aren't simply sequential with the named .ac2 and .m2v files? Or just use the NVD file? Or…?

The help files are singularly unhelpful about this. So, help!

Thanks

3 answers to this question

I'll start with some background. The converted items folder empties when you quit Toast unless you change Toast's Preferences for when to do that. I suggest making that change.

If you had chosen Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button, you can then use Toast's "Fit-to-DVD" feature to requantize the videos in the disc image to fit the single-layer disc. This is done by adding the .toast disc image file to the Image File setting in Toast's Copy window. If you still have the project showing up in the Toast Video window the way it was when you started then you still can choose Save as Disc Image and Toast will use the converted items. You'll see "Multiplexing" instead of "Encoding" when you choose Save as Disc Image.

If you no longer have the project set up in the Video window the way it was before you discovered there wasn't space on the disc, then you can use the .m2v files that are in the Converted Items folder. Drag in only the .m2v. Toast will ask you to locate the accompanying audio file. You can see which audio goes with which video by sorting the view in the Finder by date. When you've done this for all the videos you need to rename everything and select new thumbnail images so your menu looks right. Then choose Save as Disc Image and later burn that .toast file using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

• Like 1

Thank you so much. The project is still up. Let me go try to save as disk image.

WHY don't the help files have this information?