aiki456

Problem with menu navigation on DVD

Question

Has anyone encountered and hopefully found a resolution to this problem...

After I burn a DVD with multiple video sequences, it's pretty much impossilbe to navigate the onscreen menu. Hitting the "down" button on the DVD remote will hit the first and sometimes second menu item and then skip to the third, fourth, or even fifth item. Going up might hit one of the missed ones but will skip others. Hitting left or right might sometimes hit the missing ones; however, I've made DVDs for clients that have very basic remotes, which don't have left/right keys, and they are unable to hit certain menu items at all. Need your help!

I've recently upgraded to V9 and that seems to be when this problem started.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated,

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Has anyone encountered and hopefully found a resolution to this problem...

After I burn a DVD with multiple video sequences, it's pretty much impossilbe to navigate the onscreen menu. Hitting the "down" button on the DVD remote will hit the first and sometimes second menu item and then skip to the third, fourth, or even fifth item. Going up might hit one of the missed ones but will skip others. Hitting left or right might sometimes hit the missing ones; however, I've made DVDs for clients that have very basic remotes, which don't have left/right keys, and they are unable to hit certain menu items at all. Need your help!

I've recently upgraded to V9 and that seems to be when this problem started.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated,

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

I don't know if V9 is similar to V8 with respect to the navigation of menu button but here is a discussion under V8 regarding navigation.

Edited by malatekid

I don't know if V9 is similar to V8 with respect to the navigation of menu button but here is a discussion under V8 regarding navigation.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the discussion you mentioned but there was no resolution and no activity on the thread since August. Not a good sign.

I'm using a menu style that has six titles; one under the other. Using the up/down arrows, as suggested in the other thread, does not work; but my problem is exactly like the other gentleman described it. The selection order is random - you can usually get to each item by a convoluted sequence of up/down/left/right but it is frustrating. I now have a couple of unhappy folks waiting for me to send them new copies of their DVDs with functional navigation and I have no idea of what to do.

I had sent a message to tech support last night but have still not heard anything - guess they are just as stumped as I am.

Thanks again for pointing me to the other thread.

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the discussion you mentioned but there was no resolution and no activity on the thread since August. Not a good sign.

I'm using a menu style that has six titles; one under the other. Using the up/down arrows, as suggested in the other thread, does not work; but my problem is exactly like the other gentleman described it. The selection order is random - you can usually get to each item by a convoluted sequence of up/down/left/right but it is frustrating. I now have a couple of unhappy folks waiting for me to send them new copies of their DVDs with functional navigation and I have no idea of what to do.

I had sent a message to tech support last night but have still not heard anything - guess they are just as stumped as I am.

Thanks again for pointing me to the other thread.

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

I created a project with 6 titles in a menu and played with navigating those titles. Yes, there appears to be problem with the navigation. Calling Roxio....

I created a project with 6 titles in a menu and played with navigating those titles. Yes, there appears to be problem with the navigation. Calling Roxio....

Thanks! Please keep me posted.

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Will do, if I hear from anyone.

Malatekid

Can you believe it's been two full days since I entered the trouble ticket?! How long does it usually take them to respond to problems? I would have thought that I would have at least gotten some kind of acknowledgement that they were looking into it.

Were you able to get anywhere with phone support?

Thanks,

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Malatekid

Can you believe it's been two full days since I entered the trouble ticket?! How long does it usually take them to respond to problems? I would have thought that I would have at least gotten some kind of acknowledgement that they were looking into it.

Were you able to get anywhere with phone support?

Thanks,

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

No I haven't done the phone support. I was just hoping that someone from fellow users would provide feedback. I am here in the forum to share my experience and solutions/workaround.

No I haven't done the phone support. I was just hoping that someone from fellow users would provide feedback. I am here in the forum to share my experience and solutions/workaround.

Ok, sorry, I think I misinterpreted your post that ended with "Calling Roxio..."

Looks like this one has got everyone stumped. Not sure what to do at this point. I can give it another day or so but may need to start considering another product.

Thanks for your involvement,

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Ok, sorry, I think I misinterpreted your post that ended with "Calling Roxio..."

Looks like this one has got everyone stumped. Not sure what to do at this point. I can give it another day or so but may need to start considering another product.

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Frank,

Sometimes people from Roxio visit this forum so I thought of getting their attention to this issue. I hope that you get a response from them.

Jess

Edited by malatekid

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Could you post your computer specs and see if something can be spotted there. :)

Could you post your computer specs and see if something can be spotted there. :)

Patty,

Could you duplicate the navigation behavior the OP described in his first post using V8? I know the topic is posted in V9 but I wonder if this holds true in V8 as well.

To try it out in V9, I created a menu with 6 titles in MyDVD, rearranged the buttons (two rows of 3 buttons on each row) and then went to Preview and used the DVD remote control there (left, right, up ,down). The behavior was not what I expected to happen. I tried to do other layout such as all buttons in one row or in one column.

Maybe you can quickly create a menu of short videos and do the same thing above. If you do, do you see any "mis"behavior in the navigation?

Thanks.

Jess

Edited by malatekid

Sure Patty. Were you able to pull this info from somewhere in control panel or something?

Keep in mind too that Jess verified the problem exists by testing it on his PC too.

Thanks for getting involved,

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

I am seeing some problems with this in EMC 9 myself. For now the only option appears to be to use a different theme because some of them appear to have this problem.

Thanks for the input.

There must be at least 12 themes in EMC9 (I'm not in front of the PC with EMC9 to verify that). Any particular theme(es) that do not exhibit the behavior? In my testing, I used the one with the Beach. By the way, I know that there are two kinds of avi clips for each theme (one for 4:3 and one for 16:9).

Again, thanks for the feedback!

To Frank: Which theme did you use?

To Patty: I guess you don't have to do the requested testing anymore. Thanks!

Jess

Edited by malatekid

Thanks for the input.

There must be at least 12 themes in EMC9 (I'm not in front of the PC with EMC9 to verify that). Any particular theme(es) that do not exhibit the behavior? In my testing, I used the one with the Beach. By the way, I know that there are two kinds of avi clips for each theme (one for 4:3 and one for 16:9).

Jess

I used both wedding & flowers and have the problem on both. I had also tried using Retro; I don't know if it had the problem because I abandoned it after seeing that nothing showed up in the area where I believe a preview is supposed to play; it was just a big black box onscreen.

I really wish someone from Roxio would get involved here because those two themes are perfect for the two projects I had done; however, in the meantime, if anyone knows which themes do work properly, please let me know.

Thank you all for your assistance!

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

I used both wedding & flowers and have the problem on both. I had also tried using Retro; I don't know if it had the problem because I abandoned it after seeing that nothing showed up in the area where I believe a preview is supposed to play; it was just a big black box onscreen.

I really wish someone from Roxio would get involved here because those two themes are perfect for the two projects I had done; however, in the meantime, if anyone knows which themes do work properly, please let me know.

Thank you all for your assistance!

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Maybe you can bring up your MyDVD project and save it under a different name. Then do the following exercise.

1) Change the theme

2) Do the Preview

3) Do some menu navigation

4) Note down if the theme is ok

Do steps 1 to 4 for each theme.

Please post the names of the themes that work.

Based on the list of good theme(s) that you come up with, I am thinking of a workaround which I have to test when I get home.

Jess

Edited by malatekid

I am seeing some problems with this in EMC 9 myself. For now the only option appears to be to use a different theme because some of them appear to have this problem.

I assume that the problem lies with the actions associated with the objects (menu buttons) and that the the background video clip does not contribute to that problem, right?

Edited by malatekid

I assume that the problem lies with the actions associated with the objects (menu buttons) and that the the background video clip does not contribute to that problem, right?

Hey Jess,

I'll give that a try a little later - I'm in the middle of a few other pressing things right now. Thanks again for your assistance on this.

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Thanks for the input.

Jess

Jess,

I wasn't able to do it this morning. Glad John answered and is looking into it. :)

Jess,

I wasn't able to do it this morning. Glad John answered and is looking into it. :)

No problem. It may not be even an issue in EMC8.

Jess

Well for right now it just appears that this function is a little quirky in some of the menu layouts. For right now the only work arounds are to limit the custom placement of buttons (try keeping them in a grid type layout, stay away from random placement), and also to try another layout if you are having problems.

Well for right now it just appears that this function is a little quirky in some of the menu layouts. For right now the only work arounds are to limit the custom placement of buttons (try keeping them in a grid type layout, stay away from random placement), and also to try another layout if you are having problems.

Ok, thanks for the advise; much appreciated.

Jess

Hey Jess,

I'll give that a try a little later - I'm in the middle of a few other pressing things right now. Thanks again for your assistance on this.

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

Frank,

Just curious: what is the current layout of the title buttons in your menu (and how many title buttons in a menu)? For example:

1 2 3

4 5 6

or

1 4

2 5

3 6

Jess,

I tried a bunch of menus and none of them seem to work. I haven't done anything "custom" with the layouts. Actually didn't even know you could change them. I'm just taking the buttons as they appear which, on the menus I'm trying to use is a single list, one under the other.

I did find a sequence that let's you navigate down the list in order: right, down, left, right, right, right. The last "right" takes you to the arrow that takes you to the next menu page.

I was not able to find a sequence that would bring you up the list sequentially though.

Pretty kludgey, don't you think? I'd hate to have to tell this to people. :huh:

Hard to believe that a function this basic was not tested prior to releasing the software. It's also very disconcerting that I have not heard a thing from tech support on the ticket I entered two days ago.

Frank

Aiki Designs LLC

www.aikidesigns.com

..., rearranged the buttons (two rows of 3 buttons on each row)
I don't think the 'template' system of creating DVD menus gives the user freedom to move the buttons around WITHOUT messing up navigation. I did accidently in V8 CHANGE the button order once by dragging the button text titles in the tree. I never could duplicate what I did.

Rearranging the buttons just isn't a good idea. If the original orientation is VERTICAL and you move the buttons Horizontally, how would the program know that?

If you need absolute control over buttons orientation and HOW they react to the DVD remote, you need a more advance DVD authoring application like Sonic's DVDit Pro 6.

Edited by ggrussell