• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
outerbank

Uninstalling/reinstalling Creator 2011 Special Edition

Question

Have decided to reinstall Creator 2011 Special Edition on my Win 7 pro operating system because Video Copy & Convert is not functioning. Have attempted several repairs in the past, but none have solved the problem.

There are a few uninstalling and reinstalling instructions that appear in varous locations on the forum that have some variation between them. I would like to use "Complete uninstall instructions for Creator 2011/2012/NXT", that appear on the Corel.force.com/roxio Knowledge Base to remove Creator 2011 from the Win 7 pro OS. The instructions appear on page 13 of the Knowledge Base. These instructions use a Creator 2011 System Cleaner to remove a list of files, which are shown in the instructions.

The reinstallation instructions appear to vary the most. For example, Sonic Boom provides, "Help With Reinstalling Creator 2011", which include downloading and installing XML4 SP3 and .NET 3.5 Sp1. These appear to apply only to a WinXP installation and not Win 7. Is this correct? The instructions also include two zip files, one a "RemoveUninstallKeysC2011.zip", and a "DeleteCacheFiles.zip". If the "Complete uninstall instructions for Creator 2011/2012/NXT" is used along with the Creator 2011 System Cleaner, would it be necessary to also use the RemoveUninstallKeys.zip file, or can this be eliminated when using the former? In another method, it is recommended that the cache files should be deleted in preparation for reinstalling Creator 2011. Consequently, it seems that the DeleteCacheFiles.zip should be used.

I wish to install Creator 2011 in Safe Mode, as that may be the surest method to get a correct installation. Any comments about this method of reinstalling Creator 2011?

Looking forward to your help an guidance.

9 answers to this question

Well, I guess that no one is willing to respond to my questions regarding the various methods that appear on the forum to remove/reinstall Creator 2011 Special Edition. The reason for asking is that I am looking for the most effective/efficient method of removal/reinstallation. The most critical question I would like answered concerns the downloading and installation of the XML and .NET files. It's not clear to me whether they apply to one or both operating systems.

Okay, maybe I can get a response to this question. My computer has both Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro installed. Roxio Creator 2011 is installed on both operating systems. When removing Creator 2011 from the Win 7 OS, such as using the Creator System Cleaner, is there any risk it also removes some of the files on the Win XP OS?

• Like 1

I assure you that you're not persona non grata with me. :)

I just have no experience at all with Creator 2011 SE so I'm keeping my lip zipped.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon, for your kind reply. I was beginning to wonder about my status on this forum. By the way, if you have knowledge about Roxio Creator 2011 and not the Special Edition version, I believe you may be able to help with which method for removing and reinstalling Creator 2011 is the most desired. The SE version merely includes Roxio's USB video capture device in the package.

Hi again.

Normally when I answer someone's problem I will go through the process myself on a test computer to make sure I have it right, and I try not to just guess. Since I don't have your software I'll try to answer your questions on general experience and there might be some guessing involved, which I'll clearly identify as a guess where I can.

Okay, firstly the "Complete uninstall instructions for Creator 2011/2012/NXT" KnowledgeBase article. That one should be good to use.

The batch file mentioned there is not version specific. It just runs your installer with a parameter to make it clean the system.

It actually runs the command setup.exe CleanSystem=1 to get your version of the installer to undo whatever it usually does. I have used that with other versions and it seemed to work well.

Sonic Boom's post: That was posted in 2010, and was for XP. I don't think you would need to download and update XML and .NET under Windows 7, although I don't believe it would do any harm if you did.

Delete cache files - good idea if they're still there after you did the setup.exe CleanSystem=1 process. You won't hurt anything if you run the DeleteCacheFiles batch file when they aren't there already.

RemoveInstallKeys.reg - This just deletes a list of Roxio/Sonic registry entries from the registry. The CleanSystem process may have already taken them out, but running the regfile won't hurt anything. The keys are 'Globally Unique', and aren't used by anyone else's software.

Safe Mode: Turns off the stuff that can interfere. Should be the surest way of installing. It works when I do it.

Dual Boot systems: I installed my various Operating Systems on separate drives with other OS drives unplugged, so they each don't know the others are there. That way they don't interfere with each other. I use the BIOS to change the booting drive.

I haven't used any other method of dual-booting and I don't know how you dual-boot your machine, so I have to make a general observation here. - If you had to install Creator 2011 separately and independently on each operating system, and you allowed it to install to its default locations, then what you do in one system shouldn't interfere with what you have on the other operating system.

Phew, I think I've covered your questions as best I can. Did I miss any?

Regards,

Brendon

I can't thank you enough for your explicit response and instructions to my questions about removing and reinstalling Creator 2011. To answer your question about how the dual OS is set up, here are the details.

There are two hard drives, one for Win XP, the other for Win 7. The drive with Win XP was unplugged before Win 7 was installed on the second hard drive. Creator 2011 was previously installed on the Win XP drive. Creator 2011 was then installed on the Win 7 drive. When booting up the computer for Win XP, the computer is just turned on and it defaults to Win XP. To boot up the computer for Win 7, the computer is turned on and I wait for a beep and then press F10 on the keyboard. This then shows the two drives on the monitor screen where the 2nd (Win 7) drive is selected and the enter key is hit.

The reason for asking about whether Creator 2011 files on the Win XP drive might be affected when removing Creator 2011 from the Win 7 drive is that these files can be accessed when operating in Win 7 mode. I didn't believe they would be affected, but I was looking for assurances from someone more computer experienced than myself. Again, thank you very much for your patience and help. Will let you know how the removal and reinstallation goes.

The uninstalling/reinstalling Creator 2011 were followed as outlined by your instructions and those of Roxio. Creator 2011 was installed in safe mode. By all indications it installed successfully. Unfortunately, Video Copy & Convert continues to not function. Clicking on Video Copy & Convert results in the opening window and then it just stalls. It may be that the Roxio installation disc is damaged or flawed. Oh well. Again, thanks for the help.

Aha! You're running your dual boot the same way I do. That seems to cause the least complications.

Re the install, have you tried copying your installation disc to a folder on your hard drive, and installing from there?

This often helps because the Windows copy process will retry a disc read many times if the disc has scratches, whereas the installer won't wait for re-reads and declares an error straight off.

Regards,

Brendon

Sorry I couldn't respond to your last post sooner. Had a bit of a computer problem. Got it solved. I did copy the installation disc to a folder on my desktop, but have not attempted to install from there. Received your personal message, but encountered a mail failure while trying to reply. Thanks for the offer, and yes I would like to take you up on the offer. I will try to make another attempt at corresponding directly.