• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
outerbank

Using Revo To Uninstall Creator 2011

Question

I have Roxio Creator 2011 SE installed on both Win XP and Win 7, and each OS is installed on 2 separate HDs on the same computer. Began the uninstallation of Roxio Creator 2011 SE from the Win 7 drive using Revo Uninstaller. After the configuration for uninstallation began, it paused and the following window appeared;

"Direct X9 is installed in the same location as Roxio Creator 2011 SE. Leftovers will be found from both applications! Carefully check the ones you want to remove." I stopped the uninstallation process because of not being certain what the message means. That is, does it mean that Direct X9 will show up in the Leftover files for both the Win XP drive and the Win 7 drive, or does it mean Direct X9 file will show up in 2 places on the Win 7 drive? If it means that Direct X9 shows up for both OSs, does that mean Revo uninstaller is scanning both hard drives even though Revo uninstaller is only installed on Win 7 and the computer was booted up in Win 7? Under the dual OSs on one computer, is there a risk that Revo uninstaller will uninstall Creator 2011 files on the Win XP drive?

10 answers to this question

Make sure you selected the MODERATE MODE in Revo.

I have never seen that message about DirectX9. It is a Windows application that Creator uses.

Edited by sknis

Moderate mode was selected. Since I do have two separate operating systems on two different hard drives installed on one computer, and Creator 2011 is installed on both drives, the phrase "Leftovers will be found from both applications", appears to indicate that the leftover files will be from both Creator programs after the scan. If so, hopefully the files are easily discerned.

I performed a dxdiag on both Win XP and WIN 7 systems. Win XP shows 9 versions of Direct X9, all dated 12/25/2011. Within Win 7 there is only one Direct X listed, which is Direct X11. Hence, it would appear that Revo uninstaller after Creator 2011 is uninstalled, and then proceeds to the Leftover files scan, it may also be scanning the hard drive where Win XP is installed. At least the message seems to infer this. I suppose the only way to find out is to uninstall Creator 2011 and let Revo do its scan for leftover files to see if the Direct X9 files are listed. If they are, it would appear that these files should be unchecked before hitting the delete button.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

In your computer where each operating system is on a separate disk, and each disk has its own separate installation of Creator, you would boot in Windows 7 and then remove Creator from that disk.

Doing this will not affect your XP drive or the Creator on the XP drive, but if you feel quite paranoid you could remove the power connector from the XP drive before you operate on the other drive.

I have 4 bootable drives in my system, and regularly do terrible things to one or the other, while the rest remain untouched.

I think the message you received means simply that DX9 has been found within the Creator 2011 SE installation, and if you're going to try to take one program out but leave the other behind then things could get complicated.

-Since you're going to reinstall Creator 2011, and that will also reinstall DX9 on that drive, you should uninstall both Creator and DX9 at this point and give Creator 2011 a clear, clean field to work in.

Regards,

Brendon

What you have described makes sense to me. The pop up message, and how the message is phrased resulted in wondering if Revo during the uninstall process was also reading the XP drive. It didn't make sense to me but I thought it wouldn't do any harm to ask.

Thanks for the input.

Performed the uninstall of Creator 2011 with Revo uninstaller. Revo progressed to the "Performing initial analysis and uninstall" window and has remained there. It evidently uninstalls some of the program, but is not progressing to the leftover files scan. It has not progressed to the point where the Scan button becomes active. At this moment, it has been stuck for 30 minutes. Is it possible that the scan step has been stopped because of the pop-up window indicating that Direct X9 is installed in the same location as Creator 2011 SE? By the way, the pop-up message appeared immediately upon initiating uninstall and prior to the window indicating "Uninstalling Revo Uninstaller".

Any thoughts?

Finally was able to uninstall Creator 2011 entirely, but only after physically disconnecting the Win XP drive. The pop-up window did not appear this time. Revo uninstaller progressed the uninstallation process without any problems. At this point, I can only conclude that somehow Revo uninstaller was scanning the XP drive and found the Direct X9 files.

It has never done that with me, but it seems nothing is unchangeable in the land of computers.

Glad you got it done.

Brendon

I certainly can't explain why Revo behaved as it did. I should also add that the behavior was not a single event. After the first attempt trying to uninstall Creator 2011 with Revo uninstaller and with the uninstaller program stopping at the scan window, I exited out of the program and rebooted to Win 7. Upon reboot, the Creator 2011 icon was gone, but Roxio files still remained on the Win 7 drive. Creator 2011 was then reinstalled and the uninstall process begun again. This was carried out 3 more times with identical results. I finally decided to unplug the XP hard drive, rebooted the computer to the Win 7 drive and began the uninstall process again. As reported, Revo did the uninstall without any difficulty. The pop up window with the message about Direct X9 did not appear.