CinemaPhile

Dual Layer Disk Problems

Question

He folks;

I regularly get an error when I burn a dual layer disk. Roxio 2012 doesn't "take issue" if it's a data disk, but burning a video disk is a nightmare.

I get an invalid parameter message at the end of the copy [see screen image below.] For those of you who keep track of such things; I think I've zeroed in on the problem that brought me to this board a few weeks ago. [That problem solved itself by itself; FM as we say in the office.]

Things get nasty recovering from the invalid parameter message. I can't eject the disk either through the software [Windows or Roxio] or physically [pushing the button on the drive.] I have to shut down or reboot the system, and wait for that brief period where the OS isn't aware it "owns" a device [i guess in when the driver is being refreshed] or there's no power going to the drive and before the system turns off.

I've scoured the KB, and found nothing; but then, I have a low threshold of pain when it comes to sifting through KBs; so I'm asking for anyone's sage advice.

Do any of you get this message? If so, what's the cause?

Thanks!

post-85065-0-39321800-1396195082_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

He folks;

I regularly get an error when I burn a dual layer disk. Roxio 2012 doesn't "take issue" if it's a data disk, but burning a video disk is a nightmare.

I get an invalid parameter message at the end of the copy [see screen image below.] For those of you who keep track of such things; I think I've zeroed in on the problem that brought me to this board a few weeks ago. [That problem solved itself by itself; FM as we say in the office.]

Things get nasty recovering from the invalid parameter message. I can't eject the disk either through the software [Windows or Roxio] or physically [pushing the button on the drive.] I have to shut down or reboot the system, and wait for that brief period where the OS isn't aware it "owns" a device [i guess in when the driver is being refreshed] or there's no power going to the drive and before the system turns off.

I've scoured the KB, and found nothing; but then, I have a low threshold of pain when it comes to sifting through KBs; so I'm asking for anyone's sage advice.

Do any of you get this message? If so, what's the cause?

Thanks!

Could you explain exactly what you are trying to do? The image you posted is almost unreadable and hard to tell what it is you are doing.

Are you trying to copy a DVD?

I have never encountered that error message but then I don't bother with DL DVds since they are more trouble then they are worth.

Thanks for the reply; sorry about the images; I blurred the file shrinking it so it wouldn't consume your whole desktop monitor. The error says Invalid Parameter followed by what looks like a hex or octal code [all zeroes if I recall - I can't read my own any longer.]

Like you I've given up on DL discs; they are not worth all the trouble, although I have been successful making back ups of my discs - just not consistently. If you have any thoughts as to that Invalid Parameter error, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply; sorry about the images; I blurred the file shrinking it so it wouldn't consume your whole desktop monitor. The error says Invalid Parameter followed by what looks like a hex or octal code [all zeroes if I recall - I can't read my own any longer.]

Like you I've given up on DL discs; they are not worth all the trouble, although I have been successful making back ups of my discs - just not consistently. If you have any thoughts as to that Invalid Parameter error, I'm all ears. Thanks.

I have no idea what that error means. For that matter I still don't know what you are trying to do or what you are doing since you did not answer my questions

I've never had much luck with burning either dual-layer or double-layer discs with Creator. There always seem to be issues with calculating the layer jump.

OTOH, Imgburn has saved my day a number of times.

I have not had issues with DL discs & Roxio and I burn quite a few...

However... What Brendon suggest is a sure fire way to get you through it!

Quality of disc can enter into it, all I use is Verbatim for anything that matters and a few off brands for general testing and other junk stuff :lol: