• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
PhotoMaryland

Stale Toast. Toast 11.2 And Mavericks 10.9.2 = $ Down The Drain.

Question

Toast 11.2 crashes instantly on start up, every single time ever since upgrade to Mavericks. Restarted, repaired permissions,

relabeled old folder, threw out all Toast crumbs (prefs, Library, etc.), and still the same. Quite need to burn a blu ray disk, and

very ironically, cannot find even one other single viable company that makes software to burn blu ray disks on Mavericks. Not even one. Scary proposition that the one company that makes software is a complete dud with no customer support other than paying 25$ for an uncertain outcome. I would think some enterprising young start up could make a mint making software that actually worked, and offered any customer service.

Edited by PhotoMaryland

7 answers to this question

I'm sorry this is happening and I don't know why. It isn't that way on my Mac. Do you you have Toast 11.1 backed up somewhere? If so you can copy that over. Have you tried starting the Mac in Safe Mode and then launching Toast 11.2? If that works then the problem is a third-party extension or plugin. In previous versions of Toast a crash during start up was usually due to some device (such as a Firewire device that was not a hard drive or an optical drive) connected to the Mac that Toast couldn't recognize. It looks at all external devices in search of optical drives and camcorders. But that would happen regardless of what version of Toast you have.

I think someone said they got Toast to work by creating a new User. That very much suggests a conflict with some other third-party software. For instance, Toast will crash if there are xvid codecs in the Library>QuickTime folder. You might see if temporarily removing any non-Apple codecs (.components) from that folder change what happens when you try to launch Toast.

Did you install the Toast 11.2 update by downloading the entire update package from Roxio's Software Updates page or did you do the option to update that appeared after launching Toast? If you did the latter, trash that Toast Titanium folder and reinstall using the download from the Software Updates page.

Maybe you'll be the one who figures out why this happened so we can tell others.

After upgrading to Mac OS X 10.9.2, Toast 11.2 can no longer burn DVD-R DL that can be played on a either a Sony or Toshiba DVD player. I've used the same Ritek brand DVDs that I've used in the past with no luck. I can play them with iDVD player but not on my DVD players. Both DVD players do not recognize the DVD. I've tried resetting the PRAM, verifying permissions and ran Disk Warrior but they have not solved the problem. Really tired of burring "Toasters"!

After upgrading to Mac OS X 10.9.2, Toast 11.2 can no longer burn DVD-R DL that can be played on a either a Sony or Toshiba DVD player. I've used the same Ritek brand DVDs that I've used in the past with no luck. I can play them with iDVD player but not on my DVD players. Both DVD players do not recognize the DVD. I've tried resetting the PRAM, verifying permissions and ran Disk Warrior but they have not solved the problem. Really tired of burring "Toasters"!

That is so strange. If you have a backup with Toast 11.06 or earlier copy it back to your Mac. You can have both versions on your Mac at the same time. What I do is choose "Save as Disc Image" with Toast 11.2 and burn the disc image in the Copy window with the earlier version. I do this because Toast 11.1 and 11.2 burn discs very slowly. Maybe that has something to do with why the DL discs didn't play.

I previously wrote with an issue with not being able to burn any dvds using the toast 11 software. I got ONE dvd to finally burn, but have been unsuccessful with all the others. They act as if they are writing, but then shut down in the final writing phase, leaving me with a half written dvd that I need to throw out because it is unusable. This is the most recent error message I have received: The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR

Sense Code = 0x09, 0x01

TRACKING SERVO FAILURE

I've updated to the new 11.2 toast software, and still no luck. I have Mavericks on my macbook. I tried contacting customer support with no luck- they never sent me my support code and now I'm out of the 14 day (pathetic time frame) warranty period anyway.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated! I have a bunch of movies I'd like to burn to disk asap.

Thank you!!!!

That error message indicates that your optical drive has failed. It certainly is a possibility. Have you tried burning discs using the Finder burning tool? That is done by inserting a blank disc and choosing Open Finder in the dialogue box that appears. This creates a disc on the desktop into which you can drag what you want to burn. Then drag that "disc" to the trash can to start the disc burning. That will at least tell you whether anything can burn discs with that drive.

Edited by tsantee

I find it incredible that your company could release a product without thorough testing. I bought the pro-version of toast and no features work; I stress none of this product is even remotely functional. Burning is a joke as it crashes every time I attempt to burn something. Spin Doctor causes a panic in Mavericks and causes it to crash and reboot. Web video capture is another fraudulent claim! Most of the "pro apps" are outdated and are extremely clunky. The fact that there is no support for any of the products is shameful. Your product has been on the market for sometime now; and still no resolve to any of these issues. I also find it quite infuriating that there are so many other users out there, that are having headaches caused by this product and, for now, there seems to be no solution in site. Your product demands a complete updated overhaul and design by competent programmers. Who are your testers and what are there credentials if they say that all apps will function correctly? Additionally, the back it up feature is a complete joke as the disc you sent me(as well as disks I’ve attempted to back up) at this point, are only workable as a useless beer coaster. As with all products, I can overlook a few problems but a complete suite of dysfunctional programs can do nothing but give your company a bad reputation. For me, your company, this program, and your (lack of) support is egregious! When problems are reported they should be addressed immediately. It seems that your company is not one that finds this product is important nor are your consumers; support through email is the best you can do; no phone number? Really? That is how you conduct business?! Not even Microsoft or Apple employs such a feeble attempt in assisting their customers with major problems such as this. especially when they are rampant. knowing your company will release version 12 soon and abandon 11.2 Pro and charge another fee to upgrade is ludicrous! It seems that your company is nothing more but a group of internet pirates robbing folks out of good hard earned money. SHAME ON YOU ROXIO!

On a thumbs up or down scale? I give this product "THE FINGER!" ,,!,,, .

FIX THE PROBLEMS NOW!

I find it incredible that your company could release a product without thorough testing. I bought the pro-version of toast and no features work; I stress none of this product is even remotely functional. Burning is a joke as it crashes every time I attempt to burn something. Spin Doctor causes a panic in Mavericks and causes it to crash and reboot. Web video capture is another fraudulent claim! Most of the "pro apps" are outdated and are extremely clunky. The fact that there is no support for any of the products is shameful. Your product has been on the market for sometime now; and still no resolve to any of these issues. I also find it quite infuriating that there are so many other users out there, that are having headaches caused by this product and, for now, there seems to be no solution in site. Your product demands a complete updated overhaul and design by competent programmers. Who are your testers and what are there credentials if they say that all apps will function correctly? Additionally, the back it up feature is a complete joke as the disc you sent me(as well as disks I’ve attempted to back up) at this point, are only workable as a useless beer coaster. As with all products, I can overlook a few problems but a complete suite of dysfunctional programs can do nothing but give your company a bad reputation. For me, your company, this program, and your (lack of) support is egregious! When problems are reported they should be addressed immediately. It seems that your company is not one that finds this product is important nor are your consumers; support through email is the best you can do; no phone number? Really? That is how you conduct business?! Not even Microsoft or Apple employs such a feeble attempt in assisting their customers with major problems such as this. especially when they are rampant. knowing your company will release version 12 soon and abandon 11.2 Pro and charge another fee to upgrade is ludicrous! It seems that your company is nothing more but a group of internet pirates robbing folks out of good hard earned money. SHAME ON YOU ROXIO!

On a thumbs up or down scale? I give this product "THE FINGER!" ,,!,,, .

FIX THE PROBLEMS NOW!

I agree there are some shameful things that should be fixed (or abandoned) with Toast and the other Roxio apps. But most of it is working for me, so my overall experience is different from yours. There are a few things I'd like you to know. One is that this is a user forum and it is rare when anyone from Corel reads these posts. Second, it is Corel that's running the show now. There is no Roxio as such. It is just a brand name that Corel continues to use after they purchased this company. Third, I'm pretty confident there will be no Toast 12. Right now Corel is breaking Toast into separate apps for sale through Apple's App Store. I don't think they plan another version that has multiple functions like Toast 11.

Since you bought Toast directly from the Roxio/Corel store, they have a 30-day refund policy.