Eapples

Burning Across Multiple Discs

Question

Hello:

I am attempting to copy a tape to a DVD.

There are three video clips. I linked the clips. The total playing time is 1:52:13. I am not compressing the video. Previously, where the video was longer than one hour but less than two hours, regardless of the number of clips, I could link the clips and then select the point where I wanted to split the video onto two discs. Why can't I choose the point where to split the video to fit onto just two discs? The program wants to spread the clips across three discs. In the past I could select the point where the video would be split. Now, I can't do that, and I don't understand why.

You do have the "Split" checked???

post-39730-0-39163900-1396643716_thumb.jpg

How about supplying a screen cap like that so we can see how you put your Project together???

Pic posting info is HERE

I'll have to figure out how to do a screen capture using Windows 7. The instructions I found, referencing Windows 7, are for Windows 8.

Anyway, I did check as you suggested, span across multiple discs, and the program wants to burn across three discs. All the clips are linked. I am not given the option of choosing where to split the video.

I'll have to figure out how to do a screen capture using Windows 7. The instructions I found, referencing Windows 7, are for Windows 8.

Anyway, I did check as you suggested, span across multiple discs, and the program wants to burn across three discs. All the clips are linked. I am not given the option of choosing where to split the video.

Click on the word HERE in Jim's post. It will tell you how to post a picture.

Screen Capture in Windows 7 is just like it has been since Windows 9x, Shift-PrintScreen (for the full screen) or Alt-PrintScreen (for the active window). Then paste into your favorite image editor (or Paint) to crop and save.

Edited by d_deweywright
  • Like 1

I revisited this and you are correct!

When you only have One movie to split, it allows you pick the split point but with multiple clips, that option is removed!

(Well it is still there but if you choose it, it eliminates all of the remaining clips)

Sooo what you will need to do is create seperate clips split and/or combined BEFORE you start you final burning Project.

• Like 1

Mr. Hardin: I just want to be sure I understand you correctly.

I have one two hour video tape that I edited and turned into three clips. I linked the clips. Obviously I cannot burn all the clips onto one disc; so, I have to select span across multiple discs. In the past, i.e. last week, I was able to select the point where I could split the video onto two discs. Now, I do not have that option. You are saying that I have that option only when I have one video that hasn't been edited into multiple clips, and since I edited the video into multiple clips I have to let the program burn the clips separately onto three discs.

The only annoying part is that one clip is only 9 minutes and a few seconds. The combined time is less than two hours. I feel like I'm wasting one disc.

Edited by Eapples

I saved the screen print. How do I get it to where I can show it to you? Can I email it to you?

Edited by Eapples

Guru: The file is attached, i.e. the screen print.

Why did you split into 3 clips? If you had only one clip there world be no problem

Alternatively, if you can find a good "split" point about 10 minutes into the second clip. and split out a 10-12 minute clip from the beginning of that, it would probably put that short piece, and the first clip onto the first disc, and then the shortened (now third) clip, plus the last clip onto the second disc. Again, that is ONLY a guess.

myguggi and deweywright:

The video is of my daughter when she was a toddler. We edited out some scenes with friends who are no longer friends, and some scenes that weren't clear or were too jumpy. We were left with three clips. This is how we've been handling the video tapes thus far [viewing the tape and editing out the parts we don't want], and until this problem arose, there hasn't been any problem.

Edited by Eapples

I'm not at my computer that has this program - have you tried to "link" the files? I'm not sure I saw that in the image.

Have you tied to reorder the files so that the first two are less than 60 minutes and the third would be the long one?

Sknis: I can't reorder the sequence of the clips. They are in chronological order as they were taped. And the clips are linked. It seems that linking the clips doesn't change anything. The program is forcing me to burn three discs.

Okay... so that's what I'm trying to suggest. Split ten minutes (roughly) off the beginning of what is now the second clip, and make that the second clip. That will fit on the first disc. Then the (shortened) third clip (the rest of what is now the second clip) and the last clip will fit on the second disc.

• Like 1

The program allows me to trim parts of the clip. Does that mean that the trimmed parts are deleted? The program is not allowing me to split the clip. Or am I missing something?

BTW, thank you, everyone, for your help and patience.

What you wind up doing is actually adding the second clip in twice. Trim the first one to be only 10 minutes long or so (wherever there's a scene change). Then trim the second copy of that clip to start where the first copy ended.

This "trimming" doesn't actually change the source file at all, it's just telling Videowave (and subsequently MyDVD) how to handle the file.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

The program does not always work as expected :huh:

I did some more dabbling and think I have a 'solution' for your Project...

The short version is this: I Exported the Project using the Computer setting. This produced Two files. Started a New Project and loaded the 2 files. Selected a Split point and was ready to burn using 2 discs!

Some screen caps - since I used the same files the 'names' are a poor choice! Keep an eye on the TIME and you will see what is going on ;)

Export:

post-39730-0-26587900-1396786718_thumb.jpg

Resulting Files:

post-39730-0-68053000-1396786720_thumb.jpg

New Project (picking 2
nd
file):

post-39730-0-77853100-1396786722_thumb.jpg

Choosing Split Option:

post-39730-0-55599300-1396786724_thumb.jpg

Standard Warning:

post-39730-0-40590500-1396786726_thumb.jpg

Split Point chosen:

post-39730-0-27215800-1396786728_thumb.jpg

(sorry, this was a 3D side-by-side clip, ignore the image)

Results, ready to burn to 2 discs:

post-39730-0-13907100-1396786730_thumb.jpg

That should give you what you want for this instance... -_-

• Like 1

I'll try it. It may take me some time, as I learn by doing...over and over and...I'll report back in a few days, or sooner if I'm ambitious.

I tried your idea. I'm still left with three clips. Did I do something wrong? How do I get the very first clip included in the burn?

I tried your idea. I'm still left with three clips. Did I do something wrong? How do I get the very first clip included in the burn?

I'm guessing maybe you're referring to my idea of splitting 10 minutes off the first clip?

Well, at this point, I would simply make it into two projects. Include your first and second clip, trimming the second clip at ten minutes or so in the first project. Then in the second project, include your second and third clip, trimming the first clip in this project to start where it ended in the first project.

Now you don't have to worry about what the program does when you tell it to burn across multiple discs.

• Like 1

I'll try it & see what happens. Maybe it's just one of those things, and I should just resign myself to making three discs.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

I resigned myself to making three discs. It feels much better when I stop banging my head against the wall.

I have 3 clips in my example but only need 2 discs...

Without you providing some screen caps or a few pages of detailed descriptions, I don't see how we can proceed...

Once again, thank you, everyone, for your input.

I just finished copying another video tape. I ended up with four clips. I selected "span across multiple discs." This time the program burned the clips to three discs. So, the program WILL link clips. I'll have to pay closer attention to what is happening as I am copying tapes so that I can understand how the program works.

I'm still thinking that making individual, 1-hour or less projects is the way to go, and skip the "span across multiple discs" option. Take some control of the process.