• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Question

I cannot burn a DVD from MyDVD in Roxio Creator NXT Pro. When I go to the Burn screen and insert a blank DVD, it says the "Drive is empty". I also cannot copy a data dvd in Copy Disc. When I put in a dvd to copy, it says "Reading disc, please wait..." and that message does not disappear until I click on the green arrow button and then it changes to "Please insert a disc". I can burn a DVD using other software like Win Movie Maker. I have screen shots in a Word doc that I can send if you need them.

PC=HP H8-1360T, Win7 - 64 bit -Version 6.1-Build 7601 Service Pack 1, 8 GB memory

DVD=HP CDDVDW SH-216BB SCSI Cdrom Device

NXT Pro Version 14.0.36.0; 5.0.0.0, Build 140B36A, R04, 701B17A, R04

MyDVD Version Build 140B36A

24 answers to this question

I cannot burn a DVD from MyDVD in Roxio Creator NXT Pro. When I go to the Burn screen and insert a blank DVD, it says the "Drive is empty". I also cannot copy a data dvd in Copy Disc. When I put in a dvd to copy, it says "Reading disc, please wait..." and that message does not disappear until I click on the green arrow button and then it changes to "Please insert a disc". I can burn a DVD using other software like Win Movie Maker. I have screen shots in a Word doc that I can send if you need them.

PC=HP H8-1360T, Win7 - 64 bit -Version 6.1-Build 7601 Service Pack 1, 8 GB memory

Read through some of the threads below yours to see if you can find anything in the threads that will help you.

• Like 1

It's a known problem on 64 bit OS but not everyone suffers from it!

I don't and run two 64 bit OS's W-7 Ultimate & W-8.1 neither one displays your "Please insert a disc" problem.

I have screen shots in a Word doc that I can send if you need them.

A screen shot is a image (.jpg) why do folks capture and save them in a word doc?

A screen shot is a image (.jpg) why do folks capture and save them in a word doc?

I think they do that when they don't realize they can paste it in Paint to crop and save from there ;)

It won't really help in this case as we already know what it looks like :D

Of course they can do some edits within Word and then save the picture seperately ;)

post-39730-0-10584400-1397043842_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim_Hardin

I have the same problem as these threads describe. I go to burn a DVD in NXT MyDVD and I get the "drive empty" message, even though I have inserted a blank DVD in the drive. For me this is a new problem. MyDVD was working just fine for or so months and then suddenly it stopped. To make matters worse, the burn screen won't let me select +R for generating an iso file since I have always used +R disks. If I could generate an image, I have many other programs that will burn it on that DVD drive. This is clearly a Roxio problem. I can't figure out what caused this to suddenly stop working.

I added an external USB DVD burner and MyDVD recognizes it and burns to it without a problem. The fact that I have to resort to this burns me!

I am using Windows 7 Home 64 bit on an HP i7 machine.

dragonn331 - When I saw your post it brought back terrible memories of all the problems I had with NXT and my DVD drive last fall. They are well documented in the Topic: Nxt Pro Not Recognizing Disc In Drive.

What I found very interesting is the fact we are both using the same brand and model PC. It appears that there is a compatibility issue between the HP BIOS and NXT. (The same problem persists with NXT2.)

I am currently working on this problem with both Roxio and HP. If anything turns up, I'll post an update.

Regards,

JO

dragonn331 - When I saw your post it brought back terrible memories of all the problems I had with NXT and my DVD drive last fall. They are well documented in the Topic: Nxt Pro Not Recognizing Disc In Drive.

What I found very interesting is the fact we are both using the same brand and model PC. It appears that there is a compatibility issue between the HP BIOS and NXT. (The same problem persists with NXT2.)

I am currently working on this problem with both Roxio and HP. If anything turns up, I'll post an update.

Regards,

JO

What brand and type of media says no disc?

Example DVD-R RW, DVD +R RW, BD-R BDRE.

What brand and type of media says no disc?

Example DVD-R RW, DVD +R RW, BD-R BDRE.

Have tried several brands/types, but usually use Verbatim DVD-R (not RW).

JO

Have tried several brands/types, but usually use Verbatim DVD-R (not RW).

JO

What I found very interesting is the fact we are both using the same brand and model PC.

Do you have a "DVD=HP CDDVDW SH-216BB SCSI Cdrom Device"?

Contact HP and see if you have a firmware update for 'YOUR DVD Drive'. Read all documentation before running the firmware update! Doing it incorrectly could toast your drive.

It appears that there is a compatibility issue between the HP BIOS and NXT. (The same problem persists with NXT2.)

That is speculation and I don't agree.

It appears that there is a compatibility issue between the HP BIOS and NXT. (The same problem persists with NXT2.)

I agree with CD, while it is possible, there are SO Many HP's out there we would have seen far more cases of this by now :huh:

The gent doesn't seem to be saying "there is", he's saying 'it looks like there is', and inviting discussion on the issue.

He's still working on it with Support, so it would be a bit premature for anyone to scoff at the possibility without having tested it.

Scientific method and all that, chaps.

The gent doesn't seem to be saying "there is", he's saying 'it looks like there is', and inviting discussion on the issue.

He's still working on it with Support, so it would be a bit premature for anyone to scoff at the possibility without having tested it.

Scientific method and all that, chaps.

Thank you, Brendon. That is the point I was trying to make. After 40 years in the software development field, you acquire certain instincts when it comes to troubleshooting.

Let's face reality, this issue won't be resolved unless Roxio takes ownership and slaps a debugger on this specific installation and finds out which function call is failing.

Further, I have asked HP to consider replacing the PC, which is under warranty, since the NXT issue is not the only problem I have had.

Do you have a "DVD=HP CDDVDW SH-216BB SCSI Cdrom Device"?

Contact HP and see if you have a firmware update for 'YOUR DVD Drive'. Read all documentation before running the firmware update! Doing it incorrectly could toast your drive.

The original DVD device was a:

HP DVD-RAM GHA3N SCSI CDROM DEVICE

HP replaced this drive with a:

HP DVD RW AD-7290HR SCSI CDROM DEVICE

You are correct...it is speculation.

Regards to All,

JO

Didn't MS drop all support for SCSI some OS's ago?

In fact when I plug that drive into Google I get hundreds of problems for it along with a driver list from MS for XP, Vista & Win7...

This would not be the first time that all of the issues are built into the product and have nothing to do with software :lol:

jolafson this doesn't help you but not everyone with NXT or NXT2 suffers from "Drive is empty".

post-97-0-39880800-1407072278_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-14298800-1407072279_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-90010300-1407072279_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-66343400-1407072280_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-64541000-1407072277_thumb.jpg

CD - I realize that this is not a widespread problem as NXT Burn functions properly on my HP laptop.

However, after spending the last two hours on a chat session with Roxio support on a related Burning issue, they admitted that this is a known problem with some DVD drives and they are working on it. The recommended work around is to burn to an ISO file or use an external USB DVD Drive. They also recommend most Sony and Samsung replacement internal drives. Might be worth considering if the computer is out of warranty.

Bottom line - it is a real problem, there are workarounds including replacing the drive with one that is NXT compatible.

Regards,

JO

I would like to install your drive in one of my PC's and see if I get No Drive!

CD - I realize that this is not a widespread problem as NXT Burn functions properly on my HP laptop.

However, after spending the last two hours on a chat session with Roxio support on a related Burning issue, they admitted that this is a known problem with some DVD drives and they are working on it. The recommended work around is to burn to an ISO file or use an external USB DVD Drive. They also recommend most Sony and Samsung replacement internal drives. Might be worth considering if the computer is out of warranty.

Bottom line - it is a real problem, there are workarounds including replacing the drive with one that is NXT compatible.

Regards,

JO

I would like to install your drive in one of my PC's and see if I get No Drive!

That WOULD be interesting... :glare:

I have a LightScribe, DVD Burner on the shelf - I could send it to you and you could send your burner to CD - interested???

That WOULD be interesting... :glare:

I have a LightScribe, DVD Burner on the shelf - I could send it to you and you could send your burner to CD - interested???

Thanks for offer Jim, but first I thought I would replace drive with a new Samsung I can buy at Micro Center for $15. If that works, I may consider shipping old drive to you as long as I could get it back in case I have to replace it for warranty service. I'll let you know.

JO

Micro Center ~ the Candy Store of geeks :P

It's 120+ mile round trip for me (St David store) but worth it if I want to max out my credit card :D

The bad news continues...

I purchased and installed a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB SB01 in my HP 1360T Desktop. I replaced the existing HP

AD-7290HR drive since there was only one pair of SATA cables.

Unfortunately it did nothing to remedy the NXT MyDVD 'Drive Empty' problem. NXT will burn an image and data to

a DVD in the drive, but that is nothing new. Also, the NXT Desktop Burning Tool does not recognize a disc in

the drive, but it does recognize a disk in my external USB DVD Writer (also a TSST drive).

So that is the state of affairs. Jim/CD - if you are interested in testing the drive I removed, let me know

and we'll see if we can work something out.

JO

I'll let CD do that as he is much better with hardware than I... ~ I am a master with a sledgehammer and cutting torch :lol:

Sent my old DVD drive to CD for testing in his computer. We'll see what happens.

JO

CD installed my old drive - HP DVD RW AD-7290HR SCSI CDROM - in his computer and discovered everything in NXT worked fine.

Not surprised as I have maintained all along, there is something peculiar about my hardware/OS and NXT. Since the day I got computer and installed NXT, I have had the Drive empty issue. I get around it be burning to an image file or using my external USB DVD writer.

I have forwarded the results of CD's testing to Roxio Tech Support. Let you know if I hear anything.

JO