andrewwalton

Mpeg-2 Codec & Activation Problem

Question

The hard drive on my computer crashed and I had to reinstall all the software. I installed the operating software (Windows Vista Home Premium, IE 9, Norton, etc.) first. I have applied all the updates to the operating software and the current drivers. Then I installed EMC 9 (installation discs purchased from Roxio) and applied RoxioEMCSuitev9.1Updater_1Z26QZS0RU3.exe.

When I try to open MyDVD or Videowave projects that were created with EMC 9 before the HDD crash, the MPEG-2 codec message is displayed. I have attached a pdf with screen shots of the environment, the steps I followed and the results.

Can EMC 9 be repaired?

From other posts it appears that EMC 9 Videowave & MyDVD projects are not forward compatible to Creator 20xx versions. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

RoxioEMC9Activation.pdf

5 answers to this question

The hard drive on my computer crashed and I had to reinstall all the software. I installed the operating software (Windows Vista Home Premium, IE 9, Norton, etc.) first. I have applied all the updates to the operating software and the current drivers. Then I installed EMC 9 (installation discs purchased from Roxio) and applied RoxioEMCSuitev9.1Updater_1Z26QZS0RU3.exe.

When I try to open MyDVD or Videowave projects that were created with EMC 9 before the HDD crash, the MPEG-2 codec message is displayed. I have attached a pdf with screen shots of the environment, the steps I followed and the results.

Can EMC 9 be repaired?

From other posts it appears that EMC 9 Videowave & MyDVD projects are not forward compatible to Creator 20xx versions. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

RoxioEMC9Activation.pdf

My understanding is that if you bought the boxed, retail version of EMC 9 then there is no activation required. Having said that, I know that others users lately are also having your problem.

Read some of the posts in this forum below yours.

You realize that your program is now 7versions old.

I do realize that it is a very old version. I am hoping (maybe unrealistically) that I can somehow migrate some EMC 9 projects to a format - .iso, .mpg, Creator 20xx, etc. - that I can use to burn discs in the future. Without an operating EMC 9, I am faced with re-creating the EMC 9 projects from scratch in Creator 20xx, Adobe Premier/CS, etc.

If EMC 9 can not be repaired, can the Creator 20xx versions process the EMC 9 Videowave and/or MyDVD projects?

I do realize that it is a very old version. I am hoping (maybe unrealistically) that I can somehow migrate some EMC 9 projects to a format - .iso, .mpg, Creator 20xx, etc. - that I can use to burn discs in the future. Without an operating EMC 9, I am faced with re-creating the EMC 9 projects from scratch in Creator 20xx, Adobe Premier/CS, etc.

If EMC 9 can not be repaired, can the Creator 20xx versions process the EMC 9 Videowave and/or MyDVD projects?

By EMC 9 projects are you referring to the actual project files (the ones with the extension of dmsm or dmsd) or do you mean video files that were rendered to video files?

EMC 9 video project files are not compatible with later versions of Roxio. This is a major complaint users have had for years but unfortunately Roxio does not listen.

If you can run your EMC 9 projects in EMC 9 and burn them to ISO files, those ISOs can be burned to disc in the future by most other software - Roxio or otherwise.

The .ISO is a good, standard type of file.

To myguggi:

I am referring to the Roxio project files - .dmsm and .dmsd.

To Brendon:

Given my recent experience after reinstalling EMC 9, I will be burning all the Roxio projects to .iso files as a precaution - if I can repair EMC 9.