Milty

Roxiocreator 2011 Drops A Cd-Rom Drive

Question

When I try to burn a data DVD, Creator Classic recognizes the available devices; however, I get the notice "The device is reserved by another application". There are not any other apps running or open. If I try to select a different DVD burner, I get the same error alert. NOTE: If I want to burn a disc from an image (ISO) that works fine! I can pick the device I want to burn the DVD on. HELP! Milt

13 answers to this question

I re-installed ROXIO 2011 and it solved that problem; however, Windows 7 handling of my C-ROM /device is another matter w/ ROXIO installed. Milt

I re-installed ROXIO 2011 and it solved that problem; however, Windows 7 handling of my C-ROM /device is another matter w/ ROXIO installed. Milt

A few more details???

I just completed migrating My SONY PCV-RX860 computer from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium (w/ SP1). Everything checks out properly. I installed my copy of Roxio Creator 2011 and I noticed that at startup (or re-boot) my CD-ROM drive (ASUS CD-S400A) is recognized; however, if I try to read a data CD or listen to an audio CD, more often than not the OS drops the CD-ROM drive and it’s no longer displayed in the Windows Explorer or Device Manager. The DVD/CD device wasn’t affected (stayed recognized and usable). I un-installed ROXIO Creator 2011 and after a re-boot, all CD/DVD devices worked properly again. I installed ROXIO again and the same problem occurred. The version I am using is Version 1.3.166 SP1; 5.0.0.0 Build 131866A, R03; 600B60A, R03.

Is there a program in the ROXIO suite that is in conflict with the Windows 7 OS?

Milt

Thanks Milt!

So you went from an obsolete OS to a LESS obsolete OS??? :huh: - Just Kidding! I think XP & Win 7 were the best MS ever wrote!!!! I am running Win 8.1 and while the last revision tamed a lot of the nonsense I sure detest having to press Alt-F4 for every app to end it :wacko:

We will try the Easy Fix first ~ Go into your Device Manager (Win-Pause then Device Manager) and Delete the Drive entry!

Reboot your PC and see if that does it ;)

If the OS doesn't see it it's a MS filter problem.

If Roxio doesn't see it it's a PX Engine problem.

Both situations above would affect both drives not just one!

Could be the drive. I would open Device Manager expand DVD/CD Rom Drives and right click un-install the trouble some drive. Reboot the PC and let windows reinstall the drive, see if that cures your problem?

Thanks for your responses.

I did go into the device manager and UN-INSTALLED the ASUS CD S400 drive. I rebooted the PC and was notified that the hardware was found and the driver software was installed successfully. When I attempted to insert a CD to play, the green bar in Windows Explorer moved slowly and the drive dropped from being recognized and the device also disappeared from the device manager.

NOTE: I have 1 CD-ROM drive (internal), 1 DVD/CD burner (internal), and 1 DVD/CD burner (external). All three are using the same version of the Microsoft driver software. I am ONLY having problems with the CD-ROM player.

ROXIO recognizes the 2 DVD/CD drives and works fine. I don’t know about the CD player since the OS drops it when a CD is inserted; however, initially when I had this problem, I de-installed ROXIO 2011 and all three drives where recognized and worked properly. When I re-installed ROXIO 2011, the same problem occurred. I don’t know why ONLY has a conflict with this CD drive!?

Milt

NOTE: I have 1 CD-ROM drive (internal)

A CD Rom Drive is only a player not a burner, I suspect it's the drive.

Look for a firmware update for it in my signature #2.

Post the drives ID string as Device Manager lists it

If I remember correctly Roxio won't show a CD Rom Drive except in a capture from program but it's been over ten years since I had just a CD Rom Drive!

Edited by cdanteek

Thanks for the info.

You are correct. My CD-ROM device is only a player, NOT a burner.

Thanks for the Firmware link; however, I couldn’t find the ASUS CD-ROM model listed.

The drives listed in device manager are as follows:

DVD/CD-ROM Drives

ASUS CD-S400/A ATA Device

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 USB Device

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 ATA Device

As I mentioned in an earlier post, all 3 are using the same driver:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 6/21/2006

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

To test ROXIO’s recognition of the drive, I opened “Roxio Creator Classic”. All 3 drives were shown.

I inserted the media into the CD-ROM drive. The drive remained connected!

I tried a few more times cyling insertio and removal of CD media in the CD-EOM drive. It stayed connected!

I re-booted the PC and the problem returned! (CD-ROM Device Dropped even when "ROXIO Creator Classic" was open)

Milt

Thanks for the info.

You are correct. My CD-ROM device is only a player, NOT a burner.

Thanks for the Firmware link; however, I couldn’t find the ASUS CD-ROM model listed.

The drives listed in device manager are as follows:

DVD/CD-ROM Drives

ASUS CD-S400/A ATA Device

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 USB Device

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 ATA Device

As I mentioned in an earlier post, all 3 are using the same driver:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 6/21/2006

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

To test ROXIO’s recognition of the drive, I opened “Roxio Creator Classic”. All 3 drives were shown.

I inserted the media into the CD-ROM drive. The drive remained connected!

I tried a few more times cyling insertio and removal of CD media in the CD-EOM drive. It stayed connected!

I re-booted the PC and the problem returned! (CD-ROM Device Dropped even when "ROXIO Creator Classic" was open)

Milt

What is it you are trying to do on the CD-ROM? It really isn't of much use unless all you want it for is to read CDs

I do not use it with the ROXIO 2011 unless I want to copy some info from a CD to another media, either CD or DVD. My Sony RX860 has the CD player and the CD/DVD burner integrated in the desktop and I have utilized that feature very much in the past. As mentioned in earlier posts, without ROXIO 2011 installed under Windows 7, the PC and its drives work fine. I would like to understand what the conflict is between my PC and ROXIO 2011.

Milt

After further investigation, it appears that the CD Driver includes PxHelp20.sys which is a Sonic Solutions package. the version is 3.00.93.0. 1) Is this the latest version? 2) can I remove this SW from this specific CD Drive only?

Thanks

Thank you for your guidance. I installed the latest version of the Px Engine that you provided the link for. I SOLVED the CD Drive/Roxio conflict I was experiencing. I went into the Autorun Manager section of RevoUninstaller and unchecked all of the Roxio and Sonic Solutions that were running at startup. After I rebooted, the problem I was having went away. I tried some ROXIO apps and then tried to access the CD drive and it worked fine. Milt