Sign in to follow this  
senn

Compression Formats

Question

9 answers to this question

Got the Easy VHS to DVD 3 plus today. MEG2,H.264,WMV

HIT ENTER BY ACCIDENT. So far I have only made files to computer. Have not done anything else. I only see 3 compression formats.......MPEG2, H.264 AND WMV. Should there be more such as MPEG4?

Select "iPod" for your Output choice.

The resulting file will go into the 'iPod' Folder instead of the Computer Folder. ;)

Okay. When it comes time to export footage....if i choose computer and choose mpeg2 the total size of the file is 1.22 gigs ( around 18 minutes) But if i choose to export thru the ipod icon then it exports as a mp4 the total ssize of the file is 82.0 mbs. Man, thats a huge difference in file size. When i play them both on the computer i cannot see any differance in quality. Am i missing somthing? Is there a benifit to having one format over the other aside from file size? Am i sacrificing potential options....is there a down side using mp4 format over mpeg 2?

There are not any options for most outputs and you won't see any difference unless you are looking a TV vs a postage stamp display :lol:

You want to keep the quality (mbps) to the highest. For DVD's 9 mbps is the max!

Just so you know, 'File Size' in video is absolutely meaningless!!! File Size is a result of Quality (720 X 480) and the Bitrate (mbps) it is render at.... The various compression schemes have little impact after that.

You may have to revert to a 3rd Party converter like Any Video Converter - HERE

The full Roxio Suite, NXT 2, allows full control over these but not in the EVD 3 bundle ;)

Okay. When it comes time to export footage....if i choose computer and choose mpeg2 the total size of the file is 1.22 gigs ( around 18 minutes) But if i choose to export thru the ipod icon then it exports as a mp4 the total ssize of the file is 82.0 mbs. Man, thats a huge difference in file size. When i play them both on the computer i cannot see any differance in quality. Am i missing somthing? Is there a benifit to having one format over the other aside from file size? Am i sacrificing potential options....is there a down side using mp4 format over mpeg 2?

mp4 is an Apple codec that is much newer and more efficient than mpg2. If you burn anything to a standard definition DVD, then the mp4 files will have to be converted to mpg2- the standard. Look at the resolution and video resolution of the mp4 file. It may be much smaller then the 720 by 480 that you want on a standard DVD. If you only play it on a mobile device, you may not notice a difference. The standard 720 by 480 may not play properly on a mobile device (phone or tablet).

Since you are starting with 720 by 480 (or close to it), then outputting to either an AVCHD or blu ray disc would be a waste. I won;t get into that discussion.

Steve: just so you know, the EVD 3 fixed setting for iPad is 720 X 480 @ 6 mbps...

Whereas if you output to Computer you can run:

mpeg = 720 X 480
15 mbps

h.264 = 720 X 480 @
12 mbps

wmv =
640 X 480
@
10 mbps

Thanks, I forgot that there were those options. :wacko: Problem working with one computer while that program is on another. :)