horsefeathers

Audio Distortion

Question

Mavericks 10.9.3; MacPro 12 core; 24 GB ram

When dropping 88.2 KHZ, 32 bit float audio files into Toast 11.2 for burning, the file has distortion (auditioned prior to burning), mainly on the right channel. This procedure was fine in Toast 10. OK listening through Quick Time Player. OK if the file is converted to 44.1 KHZ; 16 bit using isotope RX). Converting using Toast 11 doesn't solve the problem.

Thoughts?

Andrew

5 answers to this question

Does it have distortion after burning? Are you making an audio CD?

Yes - distortion exists playing back the file in Toast window; and it exists on the CD.

I'll have to figure out how to create a 88.2/32 audio track to test this. I somewhat recall a discussion where we determined that it was the 32 bits that Toast had problems with. But I'm not certain. It's interesting that the problem isn't also with Toast 10. Good thing you still have that. I know that the player in the Toast window has problems and the workaround for auditioning before burning Is to use the player in the custom cross fade window. That's why I asked if the distortion is on the CD. It seems you need to resample the tracks before adding to Toast 11 or use Toast 10.

Edited by tsantee

From my tests of versions I have on hand, Toast Titanium 10, 11 and 12 HORRIBLY distorts the audio when converting from higher quality down to RedBook CD (16/44.1).

Here is a screenshot of a file I converted from 16/48 to 16/44.1, using HOFA (top), TT10 (middle), and TT11 (bottom), you can plainly hear and see the distortion, and it isn't subtle. (sorry, I do not have TT12 available on this computer)

I've done other tests using a variety of files at 24/88.2, 24/94 and multiple other bit depths/sample rates and the distortion is evident.

This happens in both the "Convert" windows, as well as the "Audio" CD burning windows.

Toast use to be my go-to, but after numerous complaints from customers, I no longer use Toast to convert files; I only use to burn masters.

(I've also tested using XLD, dbpoweramp, Audacity and a few others and they DO NOT distort the audio.  However VLC does distort)distortion.thumb.jpg.ddbfd67bbe0ca6c747c17236eb60170f.jpg