• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

SDW

How Do I Completely Uninstall Toast 11?

Question

I'm running OS 10.8.5 on a Mac Pro, and have had nothing but trouble with Toast 11. I want to uninstall 11 before I reinstall Toast 10. I found some general instructions in the knowledge base, but don't know if it applies to all versions of Toast. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Aside from the Toast Titanium folder there is a toast plist and toast prefs file in the User>Library>Preferences folder. There also is a Toast Menu Styles folder in the root>Library>Application Support>Roxio folder.

You can have Toast 10 and Toast 11 on your Mac at the same time. The only conflict I've noticed is I can't have the Blu-ray plugin for Toast 10 when I also have the Blu-ray plugin for Toast 11. I don't know if trashing Toast 11 re-enables the ability to use the Toast 10 Blu-ray plugin.

Would you mind sharing what the troubles are that you're having with Toast 11? Are you using 11.2?

Edited by tsantee

Thanks for your help tsantee. I use Toast exclusively for the Tivo Transfer, video edit and blu-ray burn capabilities. I've installed Toast 11 on two Macs - the 2010 Mac Pro I referenced earlier and a 2012 Mac Book Pro Retina. I have the same exact problem with both machines. I can transfer video from my Tivo, but the video editor crashes every time I attempt to edit video. The video player also crashes when I attempt to play a Tivo transfer (unedited transfer), if I do something basic like try and pause the video, then resume play. These issues occurred with the original Toast 11 and all the way up to 11.2

I have a 3rd Mac, a 2009 iMac, running Lion 10.7.5. On it I have Toast 10, version 10.0.8. It actually works! I do everything but burn my blu-rays there - for that, I use a shared blu-ray drive on the Mac Pro, works great. Interestingly enough, using 11 on the Mac Pro, I attempted to burn a blu-ray directly on the Mac Pro, from a transferred disk image. Took about 2.5 hours, with Toast 10 took about 15 minutes.

So I surrender. The only other variable is I bought Toast 11 from OWC, bundled with the Blu-ray plug-in. I guess its possible I got a bad disc, but the program/tutorial launches, and I thought subsequent upgrades would solve any inherent problems, but who knows. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, including other ways to transfer, edit and burn blu-rays from Tivo material.

Thanks for filling me in on what's going wrong. I have a TiVo and have used TiVo transfer to eventually edit and burn Blu-ray discs using Toast 11 with OS 10.8 and now 10.9. As you've seen, Toast 11 has a different editor and a different player than Toast 10. The one in Toast 10 was created by El Gato and the one in Toast 11 was created by Roxio. I had trouble with both editors and have experienced crashing with the Toast 11 player.

I can do editing with Toast 11 as long as I don't slide the scrubber other than moving the overall start and end marker. Instead I enter times in the boxes to skip close to places I want to place the editing markers and then use the arrow keys on the keyboard to fine tune those markers.

There is another way. I am sending you a private message so you can download and script that removes the TiVo package from the transferred video. This lets you edit the video with MPEG Streamclip and play it with VLC Media Player. The Streamclip-edited video will be multiplexed by Toast so the process does not require any re-encoding.

As for the extremely slow disc burning, this started with Toast 11.1. The earlier versions of Toast 11 burn the same speed as Toast 10. I keep Toast 11.0.4 on my Mac for burning discs. If I'm using Toast 11.2 I will choose Save as Disc Image and then burn that using the Copy window in Toast 11.0.4 (unless I do the entire project in 11.0.4).

It's sad that these problems exist and these workarounds are necessary. But the workarounds do the job for me.

I, too, would like to uninstall Toast 11, because I have just purchased Toast 12, and want to save disk space. My inclination is to drag Toast 11 into the trash at which point Clean my Mac will protest and say "uninstall with us" (never mind that I don't find TT in Clean my Mac's list for uninstalling).

The problem is: if I follow Corel's online instructions for uninstalling a previous version (I found "uninstall Corel 10 with Lion") do I risk destroying associated TT12 files?

Will uninstalling earlier versions of Toast interfere in some way with the files in the new version?

iMac - Maverick, SSD Samsung. Thanks in advance.

I, too, would like to uninstall Toast 11, because I have just purchased Toast 12, and want to save disk space. My inclination is to drag Toast 11 into the trash at which point Clean my Mac will protest and say "uninstall with us" (never mind that I don't find TT in Clean my Mac's list for uninstalling).

The problem is: if I follow Corel's online instructions for uninstalling a previous version (I found "uninstall Corel 10 with Lion") do I risk destroying associated TT12 files?

Will uninstalling earlier versions of Toast interfere in some way with the files in the new version?

iMac - Maverick, SSD Samsung. Thanks in advance.

If the Toast 12 installer is like the earlier ones it will replace the Toast Titanium folder so you won't have Toast 11 on your Mac when done. However, there are some apps that are in the Toast Titanium folder installed with Toast 11 that are not part of the Toast 12 bundle. If you want any of those (such as Disc Cover labeling or TiVo Transfer) you should remove them from the Toast Titanium folder prior to running the Toast 12 installer.

I did uninstall TT 11 from my iMac, replacing it with 12, for the purpose of legally moving 11 to my notebook. Clean My Mac is supposed to uninstall programs, but it couldn't specify which Toast it would cancel, so I didn't dare let it operate. I therefore downloaded AppZapper and it seems to have done the trick.

In my Macbook Pro, I likewise zapped an old TT9, kept my TT10 with its 11 upgrade (in disc form) updating the latter. It will not web capture (see discussions on that topic) and nowhere in Library could I find the plist for TT to erase in order to restore web capture.

AppZapper seems like the best answer to your question, in any case.

Perhaps Roxio should offer a really good deal to honest customers, who want programs that work.