senn

Capture Length Limit

Question

Capturing a video its pretty simple...just press play on the VHS player and press record on the program. Captured footage goes to captured videos file as a mpg file.

I have found that if I do not use the "Set Recording Duration" feature......then just a little while into capturing..... the program stops capturing and the VHS player continues to play. So I set it to 2 hr or 3 hrs ...what ever the max is, I forget. When I do this, the program contuies to capture until around 17 mins in. Then the program stops capturing and VHS player contiues to play. I look at the captured footage file and the mpg file size is 1.06 gigs.

Ive done some rooting around the forum for answers. I believe I found one that pointed to file size max as the problem. Is this correct?

At this point I have not tryed to make a DVD (that task is for another day). Eventually go to my LPs and so on so fourth. So far it is just getting a video file into the computer, from the VHS tape, to be saved and moved to an external harddrive for storage. I am liking the mp4 format because it uses less memory and playback is fine. I would like to capture the entire VHS tape in one go instead of 17 min at a time. PLEASE tell me there is a way to get it done in one go.

But, if not, if I have to get it out at 17 min a pop....then so be it. At least my memorys wont fall pray to the decay of time and will be around for as long as it can.

John

9 answers to this question

Often capturing will stop when the recording process "meets" a gap on the tape, ie a blank spot with no signal. The program will then think it has reached the end of the tape and stop.

I never capture a whole tape (even it were to capture all in one go) since it is a lot easier to edit shorter segments. Also if you capture were to capture a 2.5 hour tape you can never fit it on a DVD anyway. A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality video, any longer it has to be compressed and you lose a lot of quality and in many cases VHS quality is not that good anyway especially for longer tapes.

Often capturing will stop when the recording process "meets" a gap on the tape, ie a blank spot with no signal. The program will then think it has reached the end of the tape and stop.

I never capture a whole tape (even it were to capture all in one go) since it is a lot easier to edit shorter segments. Also if you capture were to capture a 2.5 hour tape you can never fit it on a DVD anyway. A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality video, any longer it has to be compressed and you lose a lot of quality and in many cases VHS quality is not that good anyway especially for longer tapes.

Thanks for your input. There are no gaps. It is happening in the middle of the action. The all in one go capture would be exported then would be for viewing thru programs such as "video" in windows 8, Windows media player....or any other player that can read mp4 format (all on computer). So if I can get it all in one go it will make it easyer. I am see now(if i understand corectly) that I can simply link the capture takes which means when I export it, it will come out as one. But still, I would have to do it 17 min at a time before i do that. It would just be easier to multi-task if it would capture all in one go. Which I am hoping someone here on the site knows how to get it done in one go.

But, yes, when I get around to tryin to make a DVD...my mind set will change and will have to put time into editing,triming ect...

Of course, I will need to do my research before I take that task on. Such as, will the program allow me to make a DVD with a dual layer DVD media (that would allow around 8 gigs of export) and do I need a special DVD player to read it if it can be done....ect..ect.

Im just tickled to death to be able to get my VHS stuff on to the computer. Ive been puttin it off for a while. This is gonna be a long ongoing task. So, yall will be hearing from me for a while as i go thru the full potential of this program. And again, thank for taking the time to post up.

Edit: Before you try the following, try capturing with Windows Movie Maker. Some people have said that it ignores the skips and gaps. You would still edit using the Roxio program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a digital camcorder that allows pass through? You could connect the VHS player to that and then the camcorder to the computer. There is always a signal so it should not stop.

Is the tracking of the VHS tape set properly? Even a little bit of mistracking may cause issues.

Also try turning off your antivirus. Sometimes they will lag behind the capture and effectively stop the capture. Don;t do anything else while capturing -- even e-mail.. Get a book and a pot of your favorite beverage and sit near the computer so you can keep an eye on it.

Make sure you have a lot of room on your hard drive and that it is defragged.

The program will allow you to make dual layer DVD IF your computer burner allows it. Since commercial videos are really double sided, then your DVD player should allow you to play the video. Sometimes the good ones won't play single or double layer home made DVD but the "cheap" ones will. Remember the quality of the captured video is not very good coming from an analog source so about 2 hours is the most you want to put onto a double layer DVD. Use good quality DVD like Verbatim, TaiyoYouden/JVC or even Sony. DO not use Memorex or store brands.

Edited by sknis

Thanks for your input. There are no gaps. It is happening in the middle of the action. The all in one go capture would be exported then would be for viewing thru programs such as "video" in windows 8, Windows media player....or any other player that can read mp4 format (all on computer). So if I can get it all in one go it will make it easyer. I am see now(if i understand corectly) that I can simply link the capture takes which means when I export it, it will come out as one. But still, I would have to do it 17 min at a time before i do that. It would just be easier to multi-task if it would capture all in one go. Which I am hoping someone here on the site knows how to get it done in one go.

But, yes, when I get around to tryin to make a DVD...my mind set will change and will have to put time into editing,triming ect...

Of course, I will need to do my research before I take that task on. Such as, will the program allow me to make a DVD with a dual layer DVD media (that would allow around 8 gigs of export) and do I need a special DVD player to read it if it can be done....ect..ect.

Im just tickled to death to be able to get my VHS stuff on to the computer. Ive been puttin it off for a while. This is gonna be a long ongoing task. So, yall will be hearing from me for a while as i go thru the full potential of this program. And again, thank for taking the time to post up.

You keep mentioning 17 minutes. Does the capture always stop at 17 minutes no matter what tape you use as source?

Edit: Before you try the following, try capturing with Windows Movie Maker. Some people have said that it ignores the skips and gaps. You would still edit using the Roxio program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a digital camcorder that allows pass through? You could connect the VHS player to that and then the camcorder to the computer. There is always a signal so it should not stop.

Is the tracking of the VHS tape set properly? Even a little bit of mistracking may cause issues.

Also try turning off your antivirus. Sometimes they will lag behind the capture and effectively stop the capture. Don;t do anything else while capturing -- even e-mail.. Get a book and a pot of your favorite beverage and sit near the computer so you can keep an eye on it.

Make sure you have a lot of room on your hard drive and that it is defragged.

The program will allow you to make dual layer DVD IF your computer burner allows it. Since commercial videos are really double sided, then your DVD player should allow you to play the video. Sometimes the good ones won't play single or double layer home made DVD but the "cheap" ones will. Remember the quality of the captured video is not very good coming from an analog source so about 2 hours is the most you want to put onto a double layer DVD. Use good quality DVD like Verbatim, TaiyoYouden/JVC or even Sony. DO not use Memorex or store brands.

thanks for the suggestions. No i don't have a digital cam but now i have a good reason to get one:) I've been doin digital recording with my canon rebel t3i. Maybe i can rig somthin up using it, but i don't know. As far as tracking issues i don't see any. i believe it automatically adjusts. But will look into it. I will turn off my antivirus and see what happends. Thanks for pointing out specific brands of Dvd media. Thats a good to know thing. You have given a lot of tips and suggestions. Gonna give it all a go an see what happends ASAP.. I have 2 terabytes of hard drive running at 5200 rpm and 16 gigs of ram with 4th gen i7 processor. My com should have no problem keeping up. As far as defraging......i do "system image restoration" often enough. it keeps my com runnin like new.

You keep mentioning 17 minutes. Does the capture always stop at 17 minutes no matter what tape you use as source?

No, i have not tried several different tapes. The tape i have been running runs very well. So i did not bother tryin different sources. I probably should run threw different tapes an see what happens. It crossed my mind to do so and now that you point it out i will. Ive done several capture runs with same tape finding consistency. And finding a post pointing out file size limitation.....i started believing it and was hoping someone here could debunk that opinion. And if there is a file size limit...what is the limit.

Hopfully i can give the suggestions a run threw soon. i have a lot of VHS tapes to get done.

Digital Guru.....where u suggesting that the Roxio dongle will work with the windows movie maker as far as capturing goes? i ask this without having tryed. Just want to make sure i understand ur suggestion.

Digital Guru.....where u suggesting that the Roxio dongle will work with the windows movie maker as far as capturing goes? i ask this without having tryed. Just want to make sure i understand ur suggestion.

\It should if it is installed correctly since it is just an analog to digital converter. I don;t have mine handy to try at the moment.