billyg1957

A Couple Of Likely Ignorant Questions!

Question

Just purchased and installed this software. Am planning to record home vhs that includes priceless video of my dad, who died last month. Question 1. My first attempt to copy direct to dvd resulted in only 20 plus minutes being recorded (from a 2 hour source video). I am assuming this ties to the type of dvd, as well as the quality. Looking for some guidelines to capture a 2 hour vhs onto a single dvd.

Second question.....I then went to the mode to "record, edit, save". Let it run for the full 2 hours. Now i can't file the file. I did not change the default file name, but could not find anything under that name, nor in the roxio directory.

Any help will be appreciated.

bill

1 answer to this question

Just purchased and installed this software. Am planning to record home vhs that includes priceless video of my dad, who died last month. Question 1. My first attempt to copy direct to dvd resulted in only 20 plus minutes being recorded (from a 2 hour source video). I am assuming this ties to the type of dvd, as well as the quality. Looking for some guidelines to capture a 2 hour vhs onto a single dvd.

Second question.....I then went to the mode to "record, edit, save". Let it run for the full 2 hours. Now i can't file the file. I did not change the default file name, but could not find anything under that name, nor in the roxio directory.

Any help will be appreciated.

bill

A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. Any longer and the video has to be compressed. For a 2 hour VHS video there would be very high compression resulting in very poor quality.

The VHS2 DVD 3 version has any option to 'span DVDs" for long videos. Do you have that version or do you have the older version?

In any case, most of us do not recommend burning directly to DVD since you can run into problems just as you encountered. If there are any gaps (ie blank spaces) on the tape then the capture will often stop because the program thinks it has reached the end of the tape. Most of us recommend first capturing to your hard drive and later burning the captured video from the hard drive to a DVD.

The captured file is stored in the directory that you specified when you started the capture.

• Like 1