• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Joel XI

Problems With Mp4 Files

Question

I'm having two problems while working with mp4 files in both Videowave and MyDVD.

1. I find that some (but not all) HD mp4 files are very difficult to work with in Videowave. It is very unresponsive when doing even the simplest things like dragging the slider along the video track. If I select a point to split a video it can take 20 or thirty seconds to complete the split. Similarly inserting a marker point could take 10 to 15 seconds to complete. I'm wondering why this should be as I never have problems with wmv files of similar size and specs

2. When burning my projects to Bluray in MyDVD some - but again not all - HD mp4 files simply will not burn. The burn will crash no matter what method I try. i.e. Direct to disc, ISO or Folder sets. As with the first problem this never happens with wmv or other formats - just some mp4 files.

I think my PC has reasonably good specs - i7 quad core processor, 8gig ram and nearly a 1TB of free hard drive. Video card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 560i.

Is this a known problem and are there any fixes.

I can live with the first problem, but the second problem is what I really need to sort out.

I was thinking of upgrading to NXTPro 2 but I don't want to do that if it doesn't resolve this problem.

Any help would appreciated.

15 answers to this question

More than likely, you have picked up some crud along the way and it is time for a Proper Repair ;)

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Now insert your Roxio Disc.

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran repair but it hasn't helped. The Bluray burn crashes at 2% every time I try.

It just occured to me to try 2 pass encoding. Not hopeful but I suppose it's worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran repair but it hasn't helped. The Bluray burn crashes at 2% every time I try.

It just occured to me to try 2 pass encoding. Not hopeful but I suppose it's worth a try.

Do the mp4 files render to a "bluRay" format video, ie no disc burning involved.?

Where did you get the problem mp4 files? How long in time are those mp4 files? Comparing files sizes for different formats means absolutely nothing.

Not all mp4 files are "created equal" Other video programs have similar problems with mp4 files..

Edited by myguggi

Do the mp4 files render to a "bluRay" format video, ie no disc burning involved.?

Where did you get the problem mp4 files? How long in time are those mp4 files? Comparing files sizes for different formats means absolutely nothing.

Not all mp4 files are "created equal" Other video programs have similar problems with mp4 files..

I tried rendering one of my projects to Blu-ray AVC HQ and it successfuly created an mp4 file.

Curiously the crashes I've been having while trying to create the blurays all occur during the rendering phase - not during the write phase.

I also tried the 2 pass encoding on the Bluray burn from MyDVD. It seemed to be doing well and rendered 2 passes of the first title on the bluray, but then it hung up and wouldn't proceed to the second title.

Current problem mp4 came from a friends Hauppage capture device and is 2 hours 20 minutes, but the project I created with it is just 33 minutes in length. But I've had similar problems with mp4 files as short as 30 minutes. Length does not seem to be a factor as I have created Blurays from mp4 files as long as 3 hours.

One other thought - in MyDVD project settings I have the video format set to AVC. I'm wondering if it might make difference if I set it to MPEG-2???

Please do the Repair again ~ we have actually seen this take up to 3 times to work :huh:

You are in that twilight zone error mode where sometimes it works and other time it does not :wacko:

One other process that should help is to 'pre-render' you clip...

I am guessing that you edit in VideoWave? (should). When you are done there, use the Export As and create a separate file for the clip you want to use. Then when in MyDVD, add that new file instead of the original clip ;)

The output for the Export As should either be the same as the files' original Properties or the Output Properties you are going to use, BD or DVD.

Please do the Repair again ~ we have actually seen this take up to 3 times to work :huh:

You are in that twilight zone error mode where sometimes it works and other time it does not :wacko:

One other process that should help is to 'pre-render' you clip...

I am guessing that you edit in VideoWave? (should). When you are done there, use the Export As and create a separate file for the clip you want to use. Then when in MyDVD, add that new file instead of the original clip ;)

The output for the Export As should either be the same as the files' original Properties or the Output Properties you are going to use, BD or DVD.

Thanks for that.

OK. I'll try doing the repairs a couple of more times - it'll take a day or two to get around to that - but I'll update in due course.

What do you recommend for Export As to achieve the same quality as if it had just burned to Bluray from the project. The reason I ask is that when I tested outputing to Blu-ray AVC HQ - I noticed a distinct disimprovement in quality. Both colour and contrast on the finished video looked washed out - perhaps there's no way of avoiding that.

The other problem I see with that work-around is that I'll have to find all my chapter points again. I normally set marker points in my Videowave project and can quickly find them and convert to chapter points in MyDVD. I accept that it is a work-around but it signicantly increases the time it will take to complete a project.

What is the feeling about upgrading to NXTPro 2 - likely to help or not???

Look at the Properties of your Source file. Pay attention to Frame Rate:

post-39730-0-49185500-1401294054_thumb.jpg

Then when you choose a preset, choose one that equals or exceeds that value:

post-39730-0-47116300-1401294043_thumb.jpg

post-39730-0-18282000-1401294046_thumb.jpg

(some won't tell you)

post-39730-0-84369400-1401294048_thumb.jpg

See what that does ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

I tried running the repair tool 3 times in a row but that didn't help - same results.

So I've decided to go for the best workaround there is - and that is ditching Roxio completely. I've been pretty loyal to Roxio over the years. I've had four different versions including my current version. Why I've stuck with it so long I don't know. It is without a doubt one of the most tempremental and error prone programs I've ever used.

I was thinking about upgrading to NXTPro 2, and then I remembered that if I did none of the projects I'd created in previous versions would be compatible. That is the deal breaker for me. Can you imagine if every time Microsoft came out with a new version of Word or Excel you couldn't open documents made in previous versions??? It would be simply unacceptable. Why Roxio continue their policy of zero backwards compatability to projects created in previous versions is beyond me. It is a huge disincentive for owners to upgrade, and a huge pain in the backside for those who do.

So I've spent the last day playing around with the trial version of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13. While there will definetely be a learning curve to become proficient, I have no doubt it will be time well spent, and well worth the small extra cost.

I tested several of the mp4 files that were giving the kind of problems in Roxio that initiated this thread. They gave no problems at all in Movie Studio. I could scrub through the timeline on these videos using the slider tool, and it was both fast and smooth with none of the lag/drag displayed in Roxio. The simple tasks like splitting video on the timeline or inserting markers that were taking up to 30 seconds to complete in Roxio were instantaneous In Movie Studio. Most importantly of all - I tested three of the problematic mp4 files in Movie Studio and DVD Architect and they all burned to Bluray without any problems whatsoever.

I can already see some small things that will make a huge differnce to me. For example when importing a Movie Studio project into DVD Architect to burn a Bluray - it can automatically import any marker points and convert them to chapter points. It always frustrated me that in MyDVD I had to manually convert marker points to chapter points. Due to the nature of the projects I burn to Bluray I tend to need a lot of chapter points.

I have no doubt that I'll find some problems in Movie Studio as well - but I doubt they could be as bad or numerous as Roxio. Anyway - time will tell.

So thanks again for trying to help - but I'm voting with my feet and my wallet right now.

Version Compatibility has always been a point of contention with Roxio...

I have had Sony Vegas but gave it away :lol: I found it too clumsy in use and VERY slow to render...

Give Corel's Video Studio a trial run.

Version Compatibility has always been a point of contention with Roxio...

I have had Sony Vegas but gave it away :lol: I found it too clumsy in use and VERY slow to render...

Give Corel's Video Studio a trial run.

Well I'm committed to Sony - paid for and installed already.

Movie Studio Platinum 13 has the same core as the full Sony Vegas - but obviously stripped down. I'd agree it appears to be somewhat slower for rendering. At first I was appalled - but then I realised I hadn't set it to render from my graphics card. I also lowered the Dynamic Ram setting. Those changes made a huge difference and it's not slow enough now to put me off.

Personally I wouldn't agree at all that it is clumsy. I would say that it is way more sophisticated (which might give the appearance of being clumsy). I think its just a matter of learning where every thing is and becoming proficient. I've only just scratched the surface and found a lot of things I am absolutely delighted with. e.g.

• Cross fades couldn't be simpler - just quickly slide one event over another.
  • Fading/Cross fading volume - easier and way more flexible. When cross fading clips the audio automatically cross fades.
  • Editing the volume envelope - again much easier and way more flexible - envelope can also be adjusted across multiple clips.
  • Master volume control where I can adjust the volume across multiple clips or the entire project at the same time.
  • Inserting chapter points - quick "M" keystroke.
  • Automatic importing of markers from projects to become chapter markers in DVDs and Blurays.
  • Not entirely sure - but think that changes like adjustments to colour, contrast etc can be applied across multiple clips - whereas in Roxio you have to change settings one clip at a time.

All of those sophistications will save me big chunks of time in the editing and burning process.

Most of all it is appears to be extremely stable (touch wood), and I would trade that against render speed all day long.

Edited by Joel XI

If YOU are happy with it, that is fine -_-

I'm not just happy with Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite - I absolutely love it - and I'm only just a week into it. :)

Just about every aspect of the workspace is way beyond Roxio in terms of ease of use, flexability, and media control once you get your head around the basics. I am struggling a little with controls for colour, contrast etc. (but mainly because there are so many ways to adjust these elements) - but I'm slowly getting to grips with that.

Pan and Zoom for instance is a breeze - a feature I rarely used in Videowave due to the tiny workspace and the difficulty of controling the even smaller selection rectangles.

By accident I also discovered something very cool in DVD Architect (the Sony equivelant to MyDVD). It will allow more than 99 chapter markers in individual titles on a DVD or Bluray disc. I had thought the 99 chapter marker limit per title was hardwired into all DVD and Bluray discs - but apparently not. I'm not sure what the limit is on chapter markers but I burned a disc last night with 154 in one title, and they were all seekable on my Bluray player. Its not a feature I need very often - but very handy nonetheless.

Most of all I love the stability. I haven't had a single crash or freeze in the last week of experimentation, where as I rarely escaped a session on Videowave without several crashes.

I would absolutely encourage anyone who is fed up with Roxio to download the trial version and give it a go. You need to put a bit of work into it at first - but there are some excellent tutorials on YouTube that will guide you through the basics.

Edited by Joel XI

I'm not just happy with Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite - I absolutely love it - and I'm only just a week into it. :)

Just about every aspect of the workspace is way beyond Roxio in terms of ease of use, flexability, and media control once you get your head around the basics. I am struggling a little with controls for colour, contrast etc. (but mainly because there are so many ways to adjust these elements) - but I'm slowly getting to grips with that.

Pan and Zoom for instance is a breeze - a feature I rarely used in Videowave due to the tiny workspace and the difficulty of controling the even smaller selection rectangles.

By accident I also discovered something very cool in DVD Architect (the Sony equivelant to MyDVD). It will allow more than 99 chapter markers in individual titles on a DVD or Bluray disc. I had thought the 99 chapter marker limit per title was hardwired into all DVD and Bluray discs - but apparently not. I'm not sure what the limit is on chapter markers but I burned a disc last night with 154 in one title, and they were all seekable on my Bluray player. Its not a feature I need very often - but very handy nonetheless.

Most of all I love the stability. I haven't had a single crash or freeze in the last week of experimentation, where as I rarely escaped a session on Videowave without several crashes.

I would absolutely encourage anyone who is fed up with Roxio to download the trial version and give it a go. You need to put a bit of work into it at first - but there are some excellent tutorials on YouTube that will guide you through the basics.

I am glad you think that Sony Movie Studio is such a great product. I hope you have also signed up on the Sony forum! Scanning the forum you will see that users are having the same kind of problems as with Roxio or any other video software.

I am glad you think that Sony Movie Studio is such a great product. I hope you have also signed up on the Sony forum! Scanning the forum you will see that users are having the same kind of problems as with Roxio or any other video software.

Well not for me - and that's what counts. :)

But even if I had all the same problems - it still provides a vastly more sophisticated work environment, and I won't have to worry about lack of backwards compatability of projects if I ever decide to upgrade. ;)

Edited by Joel XI