CinemaPhile

Copy And Convert - Help!

Question

HELP! I've been attacked by the Roxio Gremlins again.

I'm converting my VIDEO_TS format films to mp4 or wmv [whatever will work] for use with Plex [it seems that Plex won't work with VIDEO_TS format files.] The Copy and Convert feature ignores my option settings. Here's what happens:

I turn off subtitles as shown in the first screen scrape.

post-85065-0-81879500-1401112677_thumb.jpg

When I return to the convert video screen as shown in this next screen scrape, all seems well;

post-85065-0-41086100-1401113097_thumb.jpg

I went about my merry way thinking I had set all the "switches" and began to convert my video. When completed, I discovered that my converted video had subtitles in it; so I started over again, and this time checked the options panel after I set the the options, only to discover that clicking OK isn't OK with my version of Roxio; and discovered the settings as shown in this last screen scrape.

post-85065-0-52826100-1401113067_thumb.jpg

Does anybody have a clue as to what's happening? I've pushed every "button," moved ever "lever," and turned every "knob" on this "recalcitrant child" and am at a loss.

Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I guess I'm insane; I've repeated the procedure a dozen times; and it worked once with another video, but not with any others.

Any and all help that leads to a resolution of my latest Roxio crisis will be gratefully appreciated.

5 answers to this question

I'm converting my VIDEO_TS format films to mp4 or wmv

One question your converting copyrighted commercial DVD's? :unsure:

Thanks Jim;

I don't like what I read, because it means I can't filter the subtitles as I do when I play the DVD on either my Asus device or directly from the disk on a DVD player.

In answer to the prior question from the Digital Guru who calls himself Digital Guru; yes, these are copyrighted DVDs in most cases and in some cases recorded from on-air viewing. Please allow me some space to get on my soapbox. I take issue with the law that categorically prohibits copying these media. Historically, I have always made a copy of my [in times past] analog media and for some time now digital media. I do it for my own use to preserve the condition of the original media; handling, finger prints, scratches, and other mishaps that may degrade A/V clarity. In case you or anyone else is interested in what I'm trying to do, read on.

Some years ago, I noticed I was being overwhelmed with my video collection; so I bought software to rip my DVDs, and a media server [just a NAS] with 3T of RAID 1 storage in it to store my video collection. In my den, where the PC, NAS, and router are present; I have easy access to a wired network from my Asus O!Play appliance. My previous home was wired; my current home is not, so I need a wireless connection to my media library from TVs in other rooms and eventually an iPad from the kitchen. My two Asus O!Play appliances pre-date WiFI capability, so I hunted around for a soluton and found Plex.

Plex, a Chromecast appliance, and a $4.95 app enables you to cast from your desktop [in my case a network share that points to my media server] to any TV in the house with a Chromecast appliance. [i also use the Chromecast appliance for my Netflix and HBO GO streaming media.] Plex is no different than Netflix, Hulu, etc. except that the content you're streaming is in your own or another subscriber's library. The rub is; Plex won't recognize VIDEO_TS format directories, so I have to convert all my backed up media folders to either wmv or mpeg format. Needless to say, I'm not happy with the work ahead of me.

As a side, side note; I discovered an additional feature of Plex that I find attractive. You may too. Any combination of users can share video libraries so long as the libraries are on-line [your PC is on and connected to the Internet] and both subscribers are on-line [bTW, a subscription is free in most cases.] Neat, no?

Now, let me pivot back to Jim. If I have hard subtitles which is what your response suggests, how is it that I can suppress them when I view the same film from DVD or from a VIDEO_TS format folder?

Thanks Jim;

I don't like what I read, because it means I can't filter the subtitles as I do when I play the DVD on either my Asus device or directly from the disk on a DVD player.

In answer to the prior question from the Digital Guru who calls himself Digital Guru; yes, these are copyrighted DVDs in most cases and in some cases recorded from on-air viewing. Please allow me some space to get on my soapbox. I take issue with the law that categorically prohibits copying these media. Historically, I have always made a copy of my [in times past] analog media and for some time now digital media. I do it for my own use to preserve the condition of the original media; handling, finger prints, scratches, and other mishaps that may degrade A/V clarity. In case you or anyone else is interested in what I'm trying to do, read on.

Some years ago, I noticed I was being overwhelmed with my video collection; so I bought software to rip my DVDs, and a media server [just a NAS] with 3T of RAID 1 storage in it to store my video collection. In my den, where the PC, NAS, and router are present; I have easy access to a wired network from my Asus O!Play appliance. My previous home was wired; my current home is not, so I need a wireless connection to my media library from TVs in other rooms and eventually an iPad from the kitchen. My two Asus O!Play appliances pre-date WiFI capability, so I hunted around for a soluton and found Plex.

Plex, a Chromecast appliance, and a $4.95 app enables you to cast from your desktop [in my case a network share that points to my media server] to any TV in the house with a Chromecast appliance. [i also use the Chromecast appliance for my Netflix and HBO GO streaming media.] Plex is no different than Netflix, Hulu, etc. except that the content you're streaming is in your own or another subscriber's library. The rub is; Plex won't recognize VIDEO_TS format directories, so I have to convert all my backed up media folders to either wmv or mpeg format. Needless to say, I'm not happy with the work ahead of me.

As a side, side note; I discovered an additional feature of Plex that I find attractive. You may too. Any combination of users can share video libraries so long as the libraries are on-line [your PC is on and connected to the Internet] and both subscribers are on-line [bTW, a subscription is free in most cases.] Neat, no?

Now, let me pivot back to Jim. If I have hard subtitles which is what your response suggests, how is it that I can suppress them when I view the same film from DVD or from a VIDEO_TS format folder?

You read wrong - Jim did not say that the subtitles on DVDs were hard coded. He said if the subtitles are hard coded then you cannot remove them.

Whether you agree with that copyright law (I agree with you by the way on making backup copies of personally bought commercial DVDs), Roxio or any legal software will not allow you to make direct copies and any discussion on this forum of braking the copyright is not allowed on this forum.

Take up your problem with the movie industry layers - it has nothing to do with Roxio

Plex is no different than Netflix, Hulu, etc. except that the content you're streaming is in your own or another subscriber's library.

Have you been living in a cave, that's how RIAA Recording Industry Association of America and MPAA Motion Picture Association of America drag folks into court and win cases, your IP address is trackable when someone downloads from your library. Your distributing copyright material.

The rub is; Plex won't recognize VIDEO_TS format directories, so I have to convert all my backed up media folders to either wmv or mpeg format.

Because it is illegal that's why Plex won't recognize VIDEO_TS format directories! Even in a converted form "so I have to convert all my backed up media folders to either wmv or mpeg format" it's still illegal.

Post closed....