ramesh1

Burning Straight To Disk And Straight To Hard Drive

Question

Why is it that when I burn straight to a disk via Roxio I can store one hour of video (4.7GB) but when I want to capture segments of a whole VHS tape straight to the computer about 5 minutes worth of video is close to 1GB? The format it saves to on my PC is AVI

Even when I tried to compress the videos on my computer, it would not compress?

I am asking this because the media on the majority of my VHS tapes are spaced out i,e. a lot of different clips on the VHS and so every time I click 'Capture now' it just freezes(after two or three attempts of clicking 'capture now'. Sometimes the option to 'capture now' isn't even available to click on(option is there but is in grey).

thanks In advance,

Ramesh

1 answer to this question

Why is it that when I burn straight to a disk via Roxio I can store one hour of video (4.7GB) but when I want to capture segments of a whole VHS tape straight to the computer about 5 minutes worth of video is close to 1GB? The format it saves to on my PC is AVI

Even when I tried to compress the videos on my computer, it would not compress?

I am asking this because the media on the majority of my VHS tapes are spaced out i,e. a lot of different clips on the VHS and so every time I click 'Capture now' it just freezes(after two or three attempts of clicking 'capture now'. Sometimes the option to 'capture now' isn't even available to click on(option is there but is in grey).

thanks In advance,

Ramesh

The captured to hard drive video (in DV avi format) is uncompressed (thus higher quality) while the video on the DVD is highly compressed. If you then burn the captured avi video to a DVD it will be compressed. 60 minutes of video in avi format requires 13-14GB while the same video in DVD mpg would only require 4.3GB.

If there any blank spaces on your tape then the program has nothing to capture and you may get the "grey option"