TJP

Easy Cd And Dvd Burning Version 14.0.49.2; 5.0.0.0 Keeps Saying "file You Are Trying To Use Cannot Be Edited And Has Not Been Added.

Question

I don't know what to do I feel like I have been cheated. I bought this program months ago and when I finally go to use it to burn dvd's all my files say the same thing except two. The two are the same format as everything else I been trying. One file is .mp4 and the other is .avi. Occasionally it will give me a message for files about the audio format being ac3 but other than that nothing. Is there something I can do. All help is greatly appreciated!

13 answers to this question

when I finally go to use it to burn dvd's all my files say the same thing except two. The two are the same format as everything else I been trying. One file is .mp4 and the other is .avi.

What do those two files 'say', compared with what all the rest say?

What types of file have you been trying to use to make DVDs?

The two files that worked didn't say anything when I added them to the list. It let me burn them with no problem.

The type f files are .avi and .mp4 files. The files are movies and majority of the files aren't hd at all. I have had them for years and my older computer burned them with no problem. WMP plays the files with no problem. I even downloaded a video converter program to convert the files but then it will say ac3 format not supported.

l am also using win 8.1 on a hp pc. 8GB RAM, 64-bit OS, x64 based processor

Edited by TJP

Hi.

I don't know what you mean by "type f files", but version 14 of this Easy CD and DVD Burning software doesn't handle MP4 files - they have been disabled.

Your AVI files should mostly work.

Here's the input list of file types that this version of MyDVD is supposed to handle. Notice there's no MP4 but AVI is included.

post-208-0-06857400-1401926562_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brendon

I understand about the mp4 files, but hundreds of .avi files don't work. I have re-downloaded some of the files to no avail. I was also mistaken, the two videos that I did have success with were both .avi. The program will let me copy or author .vob files onto dvd.

Okay, I'll try to work through this with you if you can answer a few questions.

Have you had any AVI files that MyDVD has accepted?

Do you have a separate installation of DivX on your machine?

AVI files are video and audio which has been compressed by various methods [codeCS] and put into an AVI container. To use them you need the codec which was used to compress them. I'd like to know the codec used in any AVIs your software will accept, compared with AVIs it won't accept. I can show you a simple way to check the codec name.

I had two files that did work but now I get the same message. The two .avi files still are the only two .avi files that doesn't have the red sign on them but now they aren't working.

Yes I have a separate installation of divx.

Can you show me how to check the codecs?

To check the CoDec [COmpressor/DECompressor] used in an AVI file I've found it easiest to use the GSpot Codec Information Appliance.

It's free, small, safe, and you get it from its home site here - http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ it's around 1 MB in size. Version 2.70a is the current version.

When you run GSpot you see a window like this on your desktop.

post-208-0-35070400-1401930909_thumb.jpg

Drag the video file in question onto the GSpot window, and the program will analyze it for you. I've drawn a red box around the Video and Audio codec parts. This one used the DivX video codec, and the MP3 audio codec.

post-208-0-23283200-1401931152_thumb.jpg

AC3 is a very popular audio codec, but your Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning software has had AC3 disabled the same as the MP4 video format. :(

To analyze further video files, just drop them one-by-one on the GSpot window. GSpot resets itself between files. Is there a difference in codecs between AVI files MyDVD will accept, and ones it won't accept?

Regards,

Brendon

The files that did work are:

Video: codec div3 Name divx low-motion

The MPG4 isn't highlighted.

Audio: codec 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3 Info 44100Hz 128 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo

Some of the .avi files that don't work read like this:

Video: 1) Codec xvid Name xvid iso mpeg-4 The MPG4 is highlighted on this file.

or 2) Codec xvid Name xvid 1.0.3

or 3) Codec xvid Name xvid 1.1.2 Final

or 4) Codec xvid Name xvid 1.2 SMP

Audio: 1) Codec 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3 Info 48000Hz 112 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo

or 2) Codec 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3 Info 48000Hz 128 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo LAME3.96r

or 3) Codec 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3 Info 48000Hz 128 kb/s tot , Stereo

or 4) Codec 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3 Info 32000Hz 90 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo LAME3.97b

I can't really tell if there's a difference. They look almost the same to me. lol

Should I get rid of divx or xvid?

Edited by TJP

Okay,

Consider just the Video codecs at this point. We can jump on the audio ones later, if needed.

It looks to me as if you're having a problem with xvid, since none of your xvid files are working for you. You might get a positive result if you install the xvid codec. It's installed on my machine, and xvid AVIs are working in my Easy CD & DVD Burning software, so I think it's worth a try.

I don't know which Operating System you're using, but if you're in Windows 7 things shouldn't be too far different from XP which I have on this machine. It's possible to get Windows to tell you what video codecs are installed.

Run Device Manager, and open Sound, video, and game controllers by clicking on the + symbol at the left

post-208-0-82160400-1401937482_thumb.jpg

Right-click Video Codecs, and select Properties

post-208-0-85803000-1401937600_thumb.jpg

Click the Properties tab, and you should see a list like this. Is there an entry for Xvid in yours?

post-208-0-00886700-1401937695_thumb.jpg

If there isn't, go to XVID.COM and download their Xvid codec for Windows.

post-208-0-95897800-1401938099_thumb.jpg

It's a file called Xvid-1.3.3.20140407.exe. You run it to install the codec, then restart Windows, and then try some of your xvid AVI files.

Regards,

Brendon

The only thing in my sound, video and game controllers are:

Realtek High Def audio.

Nohing else. should I continue with the instructions above?

The download and install of Xvid?

I would. Anything you put in there can always be removed again later if necessary.

Regards,

Brendon

Nothing changed yet but, i'm gonna continue in the morning. I'm on the east coast. Thx for your time and hopefully we can figure this out tomorrow! :)

I hope we can. My timezone is GMT +12, but my arrival time here is unpredictable due to other duties.

Regards,

Brendon