evanb

Roxio Creator 11 Will Not Burn M4A Files

Question

I tried to burn an audio file of the type "m4a" using Roxio Creator 11. The file was accepted to the "drag and drop" area, but a message indicating that this file could not be written to the CD was posted. I have Roxio Creator 10 on a second computer. It burned the audio file with no problem. The first computer has a Windows 7 op sys. The second computer has Windows XT. What is the problem?

8 answers to this question

It could be an operator problem.

There's no "Roxio Creator 11", so I'm having to guess you're using Creator 2011. If you use the menu item "Burn Audio CDs" in Creator 2011 you'll find that this simplified Sonic module [burn Audio CDs] can't handle .M4A files. [see below]

post-208-0-65967900-1402715773_thumb.jpg

However if you use the menu item "Create Music Disc Projects" you'll run the Roxio Music Disc Creator, which is quite happy to handle .M4A files.

post-208-0-96293900-1402715980_thumb.jpg

When you ask about burning your file with "Roxio Creator 10" I can't tell if you're talking about Easy Media Creator 10 or Roxio Creator 2010, so I can't answer you.

Either way it's likely to be the difference between burning with a Roxio program such as Creator, and trying to use one of the simplified Sonic modules which run in the Home app. [the menu program which opens when you start the suite]

If it helps to explain, look at the menu in the Home app.

post-208-0-70806100-1402716395_thumb.jpg

The menu items which have arrows alongside them run separate Roxio programs, whereas the items without arrows run simplified built-in Sonic modules which don't have the same abilities.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon, Thank you for your response.

Sorry it took a while to reply. I was on vacation last week.

You're correct about the program names. I am using Roxio Creator 2011 and Roxio Creator 2010. The Roxio Creator 2010 (on a Windows XP computer) had no trouble burning my audio file disk. When I tried to burn the same music using 2011, I got the following message: "There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking the retry button. You will need another disc ready" It does not even matter what format of music file I am trying to burn. I always get the same error message. The Roxio Creator 2011 program I am using does not have the "Create music disk project" option.

Thank you.

Would you please run your Creator 2011, and click on the Help button up the top left corner, then About this Software.

That should bring up a box something like this:-

post-208-0-17842900-1403491766_thumb.jpg

Would you please tell me the Full name, version number, and build number of your software? [the serial number isn't required]

Thanks very much,

Brendon

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for taking such an interest in this issue.

The information you requested is as follows:

Roxio Creator 2011

Version: 1.3.166 SP1; 5.0.0.0

Build: 131B66E, DL2; 600B60A, R03

Hope that helps,

Evanb

Thanks Evanb,

It seems that you have Creator 2011 suite - that's the R03 version. [i have R04, the Pro version]

It also seems from your comment in post #3 that your version doesn't have Music Disc Creator. In that case you'll be limited to the simplified 'Burn Audio CDs' so it won't be able to handle M4A audio files.

But those version-specific differences aside, the other comment you made in post #3 shows that you have a whole 'nother problem altogether. You say you can't write any audio file to disc without getting the response

"There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking the retry button. You will need another disc ready"

That looks to me as if you're getting some sort of error from your burner rather than the Roxio software.

-What other indication such as an error number or text does it give?

-can you write a data CD in that drive?

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon,

Our game of tag continues!

There was no other error message or error #. I can copy discs, I can create Video discs, using Video Studio X4 pro and I can burn data discs. I can not burn audio discs. I do not normally burn audio files. This problem may have always existed? There may be a setting issue? This version of Roxio came with my Dell XPS 8300 computer. That is all I have for now.

Regards,

evanb

Hi Evan,

I worried it might be a Dell version when I saw that DP2 in the build line, and that would also confirm why it doesn't have the Music Disc Creator.

I know Dell bundles a reduced capability version, but it should still have a viable "Burn Audio CDs" command.

Your burner has two separate systems for burning CDs and DVDs, so if you can burn data CDs then your burner is okay, and the software may have come unstuck. Check the CD burner though, because it is possible for the CD burning system to fail while CD reading and the DVD burning systems are still working happily.

If the burner is good,

I would normally recommend you reinstall the software to repair the registration of the audio DLLs, but I suppose Dell won't have supplied you with an installer, will they?

I'm afraid that you will need to go back to Dell on this one. I'm fairly sure that the software has broken and will need to be reinstalled [please holler loudly if they say it isn't meant to work] but I know that due to their contract with Roxio, Dell is the only outfit that can give you another copy.

Best regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon,

Thanks for informative inputs in trying to solve my problem. Since I burn very few audio files, I will use my older PC when I need to do so.

Thanks again for your help.

Signing off this issue,

evanb