• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Jeraldo

Disc Image from **Audio** CD, not CD with audio files

Question

With an Intel Mac running 10.4.7, and QuickTime 7.1.2; can Toast 7 create a Disc Image from an **Audio** CD (not a CD with audio files)?

Mainly, I need this for my own already created Red Book CDs.

Related Issues:

I use a stand alone cd recorder. It allows via DIP switches to set various copy protection codes. I've almost never paid attention to this, except those times when I haven't wanted others to be able to copy the disc via consumer machines. But mostly, I download my own CD audio via AES/EBU which is "codeless," or I use SPDF on a pro machine which also ignores or just passes on existing codes (or allows for new setting). Since I haven't been careful or consistent with these codes, is it likely that I would run into probems with Toast?

On occasion, I would like to image a commercial audio CD (those of mine which have been manufactured via glass master). Will Toast have a problem with those?

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Toast doesn't have problems copying commercial CD. However, Toast doesn't copy sub-code info such as CD-TEXT, ISRC, etc. So if any exists it will be lost on the copy.

I'm not sure what copy protection you are referring to, but Audio CD do not support the blocking of a digital copy. The CP bit in the Red Book standard is meant to stop Digital to Analog recording, but not Digital to Digital. Bacically the CP bit become worthess as soon as CD burners were release.

CD that claim to be copy protected actually corrupt the TOC and are burned as multi-session CD. These CD are not red book standard and do a poor job in stopping illegal copies.

Hmmm, it will probably work and sound alright, but of course the result will not be an accurate rip, like done with Exact Audio Copy on PC (some developers are working on a Mac equivalent). Whole different art, audio ripping...