• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Easy Cd Creator 4 And Windows Xp?

jthoma4

Does anyone know if Easy CD Creator 4.02d and DirectCD 3.01d_D will work in Windows XP?

I run Windows ME now but planning to upgrade to Windows XP (too much software now that runs only on XP).

At least I'd like software that runs on XP but that supports my current DirectCD and CDRW formats.

Jthoma4

Does anyone know if Easy CD Creator 4.02d and DirectCD 3.01d_D will work in Windows XP?

I run Windows ME now but planning to upgrade to Windows XP (too much software now that runs only on XP).

At least I'd like software that runs on XP but that supports my current DirectCD and CDRW formats.

Jthoma4

Look at the very first post at the top of the main ECDC 4 forum, it sez Pinned: ECDC Vs Win XP.......read it.

Look at the very first post at the top of the main ECDC 4 forum, it sez Pinned: ECDC Vs Win XP.......read it.

And it would be a good idea to transfer all the info on your DirectCD discs to your Hard Drive and re-burn it using a Sessions-based program such as Data Project - assuming it hasn't already disappeared.

If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc.

Lynn

And it would be a good idea to transfer all the info on your DirectCD discs to your Hard Drive and re-burn it using a Sessions-based program such as Data Project - assuming it hasn't already disappeared.

If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc.

Lynn

Yes I've found out how fragile DirectCDs can be. I used them awhile to incrementally back up files between full backups. After using one awhile I always started getting "read/write" error messages and could not access the CD. Sometimes I could read the data enough to get it off, sometimes not.

I've been using Easy CD Creator 4.0 and burn the data to an un-formatted disk.

Is that what you meant by a Sessions-based program? It does seem more stable.

Jthoma4

Yes I've found out how fragile DirectCDs can be. I used them awhile to incrementally back up files between full backups. After using one awhile I always started getting "read/write" error messages and could not access the CD. Sometimes I could read the data enough to get it off, sometimes not.

I've been using Easy CD Creator 4.0 and burn the data to an un-formatted disk.

Is that what you meant by a Sessions-based program? It does seem more stable.

Jthoma4

Yes. Packet-Writing can be terribly picky about being read by the same Operting Sytem and Version that wrote them - or being read at all.

As for discs -

Commercially pressed CDs have the pits and lands physically pressed into the metal.

CD-Rs have the pits and land set by the laser cooking a dye. They aren't quite as stable as a commercial CD, but close.

CD-RW have the pits and lands set (at a lower temperature) by the laser melting and recrystalizing an aluminum alloy, which promptly starts to de-crystalize, taking all the data with it. It can be erased (the entire disc, not a single file) and re-used, but it's best used for testing, or moving data from one computer to another if there is absolutely no other option.

Lynn

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I need some serious help. I used to have Window Me in which I used adaptec as a way of creating CDs. Then I upgraded to XP. Now when ever I try to burn a CD, I get the prompt "Easy CD Creator 4 has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows. For an update that is compatible with this version of Windows, contact Roxio, Inc." Well it has been that easy. I went to roxio's web site and downloaded a upgrade to CD creator 5. Now I get a prompt that says"The burning engine was not detected". I don't know what that means and I am very frustrated. Can anyone give me some insight on whats going on.

It's simple, actually. ECDC 4 does NOT WORK with WinXP. Ever. Under any circumstances. NO WAY.

There is no patch that makes it work. (See above)

Patches for some other Version, such as ECDC 5, will not change ECDC 4 to ECDC 5, any more than patches for a 2005 Ford will turn a 1998 Volkswagon into a 2005 Ford.

Go to the Start button at the bottom of your screen, or use the "Windows" button on your keyboad.

Click on "help and support". Enter "burn CDs". READ CAREFULLY the results.

If by "using Adaptec as a way of creating CDs" you mean you made the MISTAKE of formatting the disc with DirectCD and using Packet-Writing, try one of the recovery programs, such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites as well as in the Roxio boards. Both have a "trial" version that lets you see if anything can be recovered before you have to pay.

The fact apparently the powerful .udf reader included with WinXP can't read it is a VERY BAD sign. (Were you making the MISTAKE of using CD-RW instead of CD-R?)

In the future, NEVER FORMAT a disc if you want to KEEP the data.

WinXP's data burning works as if it is drag&drop, but it is the more stable and readable Sessions type burning, like ECDC 4's DataProject (which is what you should've been using). As my software guru observed, Microsoft didn't want to deal with the disastrous results of using Packet-Writing.

Lynn

Archived