• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Videomaker

Moving video files in Videowave

Question

I have a video DVD project, created from a video file in one location (external hard drive). I've gone through the effort of creating chapters but burning the project to DVD has been very slow. I've thus moved the video file to my internal hard drive but can't find a way to tell VideoWave that the file is the same one (with the chapters defined), but is now in a new location. Any body done this before?

5 answers to this question

I have a video DVD project, created from a video file in one location (external hard drive). I've gone through the effort of creating chapters but burning the project to DVD has been very slow. I've thus moved the video file to my internal hard drive but can't find a way to tell VideoWave that the file is the same one (with the chapters defined), but is now in a new location. Any body done this before?
Since a VW project is just a set of notes and pointers, if you didn't "move" the file off the external, it's still going to find it and use it. To make it "not find it" and ask you to point to the location where you now have it locally, you need to either rename the one on the external, shutt off the external drive, or delete the file from the external. then when you open that project again, it will tell you it can't find the file and ask if you want to search for it. Find it on your local drive and it should update the project.

Make sure after you have updated it with the new file locations that you

make sure your edits are still in the project. For me, I have projects

that consist of .avi video clips, when I move the .avi files to other places

and then repoint VW to the new file, I lose any audio edits I did in

WV to that clip. While not that common for me to edit the audio, I

do sometimes lower the volume of the video clip if I'm playing music

over it. And when I move the video file to another directory, WV

forgets any audio changes even as simple as lowering the volume

level and I have to re-enter them (assuming I can remember what

I did).

Since a VW project is just a set of notes and pointers, if you didn't "move" the file off the external, it's still going to find it and use it. To make it "not find it" and ask you to point to the location where you now have it locally, you need to either rename the one on the external, shutt off the external drive, or delete the file from the external. then when you open that project again, it will tell you it can't find the file and ask if you want to search for it. Find it on your local drive and it should update the project.

I did rename the file on the external drive. When I opened the DVD project I didn't get an error. I used Tools/Validate Project and received the expected error that a file was not found. The only option I see is to click on Go To Error, which just returns me to the video menu. I don't see where I can change the pointer. When opening the project, the icons, consisting of movie scenes from bookmarks, still appear. How do I get the option to appear to tell EM8 where the file is at?

I did rename the file on the external drive. When I opened the DVD project I didn't get an error. I used Tools/Validate Project and received the expected error that a file was not found. The only option I see is to click on Go To Error, which just returns me to the video menu. I don't see where I can change the pointer. When opening the project, the icons, consisting of movie scenes from bookmarks, still appear. How do I get the option to appear to tell EM8 where the file is at?
That is not an option in VideoWave, it's an option in MyDVD. In your earlier post you said you were using VideoWave. So which is it, and what did you add to MyDVD. A video file or a VideoWave project? That option only validates the source files that you added to the MyDVD project. So if you made a VW project, and added that to MyDVD, it only validates that the VW project is still where it was, it doesn't validate the contents of the VW project. To do that, you have to open the VW project again using VW, not thru MyDVD.

That is not an option in VideoWave, it's an option in MyDVD. In your earlier post you said you were using VideoWave. So which is it, and what did you add to MyDVD. A video file or a VideoWave project? That option only validates the source files that you added to the MyDVD project. So if you made a VW project, and added that to MyDVD, it only validates that the VW project is still where it was, it doesn't validate the contents of the VW project. To do that, you have to open the VW project again using VW, not thru MyDVD.

Thanks for the feedback. I went back in to use VW but it appears that I did the chapter marking in MyDVD, not VW as there is no VW project file. I have a feeling I'll loose the chapter markers as I'll have to use VW to edit the video file and then reapply chapter markers. Unless I'm missing something, that's how I'll proceed.