• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

EricG

Can't Reinstall Toast 10 (Tivo Transfer Is Missing)

Question

Hi,

I'm running a Mac Book Pro on Mavericks 10.9.3. I use Toast Titanium mostly for its TiVo Transfer application to grab shows from my TiVo for archiving. This has been working fine for years.

Recently, upon running Toast to burn a CD, Toast informed me that Toast version 10.0.9 was available. I downloaded the new version as a .dmg file, mounted it, and dragged the Toast Titanium folder from the disk image to my Appications folder. I replaced the existing folder.

Upon running the new Toast for the first time, I recall it asked me a few questions including whether I wanted to install some TiVo-related stuff. I declined (I think this was the start of my problems). It didn't ask me to re-enter my product key/serial number info, and when I do About Toast Titanium 10, I see the program is registered to me with my serial number.

I went to use TiVo Transfer and discovered it missing. Now, for the life of me, I cannot seem to reinstall Toast and get it to ask me about installing TiVo-related programs. I've used the Finder's search feature, including system files, to remove every preference and application-support item I can find by searching for "toast", "tivo", and "roxio".

Since the registeration is sticking around, that's being stored somewhere I'm not getting to, and I'm hoping that if I can find and delete that, it will think it's a fresh install. Oddly, it seemed to think it was fresh since it asked about installing TiVo-related items even though it never asked for my serial number.

Ideas?

-Eric

3 answers to this question

Don't you have a backup so you can copy the TiVo Transfer app from the backed up Toast Titanimum folder? It seems that Roxio/Corel is no longer including TiVo Transfer, possibly because they don't want to fix the problem where it doesn't work with the new TiVo Roamio. If you can't find a copy of TiVo Transfer on a backup I can give you a link to a copy.

Digital Guru,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I do have a backup, but I had assumed it wouldn't just be the application file alone (perhaps other support files), but I can give that a shot. I also have the original .dmg from I first installed Toast 10, and it should be in there. I was thinking that it wasn't missing from the distribution but that I wasn't triggering the install properly.

-Eric

Digital Guru,

I got it working, but not in the way I was expecting. I never was able to get Toast to install TiVo Transfer, but I poked around inside the Contents of the Toast app and found Contents/Resources/tivotransfer.tgz. I also found a shell script Contents/Resources/InstallToastVideoPlayer.sh. It has a tar command which I modified slightly and ran: tar -C ../../.. -xzf TiVoTransfer.tar.gz. This installed TiVo Transfer alongside of Toast, and now it's all working again. This is from the newly downloaded Toast .dmg image, so it is still being distributed, but, as I said, I couldn't prompt Toast to install it. At least it's working again.

Thanks for your comment which got me thinking along these lines.

-Eric