• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Extracting Dvd-r Info?

seattlejoe7

Question

I'm trying to figure out how to extract the contents of DVD-R discs ... they contain TV shows recorded (for personal use, thank you) with a simple DVD recorder. They have been finalized, and play fine in DVD players, including my iBook and my new LaCie burner.

Soooooooooo ..... just how do I extract the information? I want to add chapter markers and filter out ads (or at least put them in their own chapters).

The Apple guy at the CompUSA store said to use "Popcorn", which supposedly came with the Toast7 included with the burner. It's not there.

What? How? Why?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

5 answers to this question

To extract the video from a non-encrypted DVD do the following:

Select DVD video in the Toast Video window.

Insert your DVD

Click the Media Button to access the Toast Media Browser.

Select DVD with the top button in the media browser. Your DVD will appear in the lower window.

If you want to extract an entire Title as one file, go down a level with the lower button, select the Title that appears and drag it to the Video window. You'll see a progress bar as Toast extracts the MPEG.

If you want to extract individual chapters (if present) from the disc go down another level with the lower button and you'll see the individual chapters for dragging to the Video window.

If you want, you then can select the titles in the Video window and click Export to convert them to another format (such as one that can be used in iMovie for editing and adding chapter markers).

The features of Popcorn are built in to Toast 7 and are called Fit-to-DVD. It isn't what you are needing here. If you create a video DVD disc image file or have a VIDEO_TS folder that is too big for a single layer disc, you can use the fit-to-DVD option to further compress the content for burning to a single-layer disc.

"I'm trying to figure out how to extract the contents of DVD-R discs...

Soooooooooo ..... just how do I extract the information? "

Toast 7 is great... however I DO believe that there is no perfect software... so I ussually require other tools.

It is far faster if you use MPEG Streamclip... You only need to drop one of the VOB files... it will ask if you want 1 file or ALL files... select "ALL" and once you have your complete movie, you can export it to any quicktime compatible file

"I'm trying to figure out how to extract the contents of DVD-R discs...

Soooooooooo ..... just how do I extract the information? "

Toast 7 is great... however I DO believe that there is no perfect software... so I ussually require other tools.

It is far faster if you use MPEG Streamclip... You only need to drop one of the VOB files... it will ask if you want 1 file or ALL files... select "ALL" and once you have your complete movie, you can export it to any quicktime compatible file

If you want, you then can select the titles in the Video window and click Export to convert them to another format (such as one that can be used in iMovie for editing and adding chapter markers).

Thank you for the reply.

So, looks like iMovie is what I need. Probably didn't come with the 'puter, did it? I'll have to look that one up. (Does it come with the iLife suite or something?)

Okay, just looked ... I have iMovie version 5 ... tried to import from the DVD, and iMovie found no importable files. There is a "VIDEO_TS" folder on the DVD containing .bup .ifo and .vob files.

What format would I export to if I wanted to add chapter markers?

"-)

Thank you for the reply.

So, looks like iMovie is what I need. Probably didn't come with the 'puter, did it? I'll have to look that one up. (Does it come with the iLife suite or something?)

Okay, just looked ... I have iMovie version 5 ... tried to import from the DVD, and iMovie found no importable files. There is a "VIDEO_TS" folder on the DVD containing .bup .ifo and .vob files.

What format would I export to if I wanted to add chapter markers?

"-)

I didn't realize that you don't have a plan for how to edit the commercials and add chapter markers. This can be done in iMovie. But this requires a lot of time converting the MPEGs to DV, importing the DV to iMovie and having Toast encode back to MPEG as part of creating your new video DVD. It also requires a lot of hard drive space. To start you need to follow the steps I listed, select the titles in the Toast Video window and click Export. There you'll see the option to export to DV.

There are faster ways but you'll need to buy more software to do them. For example, if you purchase Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Component for $20 from Apple you can use the freeware application MPEG Streamclip to cut the commercials from the VOBs on your DVD and save as an edited MPEG file for Toast to use in making a new video DVD. Toast will automatically add chapter markers every 5 minutes to these MPEGs.

If you must have chapter markers in specific locations and don't want to use iMovie then you'll need to buy CaptyDVD 2 from pixela-1.com for $70. It can use the MPEGs extracted by Toast (using the steps I described). Those MPEGs are written to the Roxio Converted Items folder in your Documents folder. A warning: the folder gets automatically emptied when you quit Toast unless you change the settings in Toast Preferences. CaptyDVD 2 is not an easy application to learn.

An excellent resource for you is the Mac forum at videohelp.com.

Archived