• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disabling Internet Before Installing (why)

rzamora

Question

9 answers to this question

Thanks for both of your responses. I shold get my package today.

I received my copy of EMC 8 today and I have installed it without any problems, works great.

I did uninstall the EMC 7.5 first and I manually removed all files and directories and config file in Apps/Data.

Thanks

Rudy

I received my copy of EMC 8 today and I have installed it without any problems, works great.

I did uninstall the EMC 7.5 first and I manually removed all files and directories and config file in Apps/Data.

Thanks

Rudy

I am glad that you did not have any problems and came back and posted your results.

Firstly dont abide by my comments, as they are just mine, but iv had no issues with this app in any form.

* i didnt close off internet when i did my installs ever, and didnt have any issues.

* BUT the box may be right? ( as i dont want to cause a issue for you)

* you will need the internet at the end anyway to register your product

Some things that i can sugest before you install though?

(Make a backup of any important items you must have of the computer as somtimes things dont always work out, and somtimes there is no going back)

1. make sure you have service pack 2 for XP installed.

2. Make sure you have the latest Direct X installed

3. remove any other companys packet writing software befor installing EMC8, this includes older versions of Roxio packet righting software ect...

And lastly... if you do have any issues or questions dont get mad just post them here and let people help you or contact the Roxio support team from the contact tab here to the left of the page.

Have fun and enjoy like the rest of us users.... :)

That is just a reminder. All other running programs should be shut down for a clean install; such as an anti-virus program. No anit-virus running could open your computer for attack if you are connected. Most people do not have problems installing on a connected computer; it is just a recommended best practice.

I have just purchased a new box copy of EMC 8 and way reading the do's and don't on installing. I read that you should disable the internet connection first. My question is why?

Thanks,

Rudy

That is just a reminder. All other running programs should be shut down for a clean install; such as an anti-virus program. No anit-virus running could open your computer for attack if you are connected. Most people do not have problems installing on a connected computer; it is just a recommended best practice.

Thanks for both of your responses. I shold get my package today.

One a simular note:

Why do I need to connect to a DNS when I run VideoWave8?

I get this warning form Norton everytime I run it for the for the first time after an install.

On the old boards I had a thread about all the EMC 8 apps wanting to connect. On my system each Roxio app wanted to connect to 3 sites about 15 seconds after they are opened (I have ZA that alerts me).

Nothing to do with Media manager, which I have disabled.

Patrick investigated, including an interesting session when he connected remotely to my PC so he could see what I was talking about. He established that all three connections were to Roxio servers (though that was not obvious from the who is info). He did not report back a definitive answer as to why. His last email on the subject stated:

According to the developers it's trying to ping those three servers (which are ours on the interactual side of the company) to see if it's online but should be specific to dial-up internet connections, still waiting on more info.

Although I have a broadband connection via USB DSL modem, I do have a fax modem as well and this does have a dial up connection set up (in case broadband fails), though I have never had to use it.

The apps work fine, whether I let ZA block or allow the connections.

Just checked and now they seem only to connect to 208.185.167.79 available.above.net. which is one of the ones Patrick assured me was a Roxio server.

PS Roxio Central needs access to local loopback and also connects to redirect.sonic.com, I think to download the welcome and support pages.

Archived