Unnecessary Processes

redkoatz

Question

I want to remove roxwatch and roxmediadb from ever appearing on system boot.

I don't mind if they appear when I use roxi media creator, but i dont want them appearing when i dont need them/want them.

Roxwatch = 4.6 mb + roxmediadb=8mb =12.6mb of wasted ram.

I know I can just choose end task in taskmanager, but its tedious doing this everytime I reboot windows. and i dont see any benefit of them running constantly and hogging my ram.

5 answers to this question

This is what I did:

1. In Media manager, tools, if it says stop watching folders, click on it (it will change to start watching folders)

ditto for sharing with LiveSare and sharing with mediaspace.

2. Use msconfig (click start, run, type msconfig, click OK) or other startup app to uncheck roxwatch from startup list (or remove it from the run key in the registry). Note: f you use Msconfig, on reboot, you get a message that you are in selective mode: check the box in that message box and it won't show again on future restarts.

3. In services (click start, run, type services.msc, click OK,) scroll down to the RoxMediaDB, double click on it to open properties, stop if it is started, set it to manual, click apply, OK. Ditto for RoxUPnPRenderer and RoxUPnPserver.

That stops them from starting at reboot. RoxmediaDB will startup when needed if you use an EMC8 app, and as far as I can tell stays that way unless you kill it, or restart the PC.

I'm not a expert at this but I found out that if i put "stopped" in these settings I couldn't burn a dvd. An error kept coming up. I had to turn them back on "start" to burn. I had them all on manual when I had them stopped. So if your having trouble burning, try putting the settings back on "start"

Maddie

According to its properties, Roxio hard drive watcher runs "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\SharedCOM8\RoxWatch.exe"

If I set it to automatic, on restarting the PC I get two related application information event logs:

Source: Roxsniffer

Category: none

Event ID 0

'The description for Event ID (0) in Source (Roxsniffer) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description: see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event.'

first log also has at the end of the description: Service started.

second one says: Service stopped.

Services shows it as stopped.

If I set it to manual, I don't get those event logs on starting up the PC. However, if I then start the service manually, I do get them. As the second event log shows, the service is immediately stopped, but Services still shows it as started; if I click stop there, I get a script error message. If I click properties, the start button is active, the stop button is greyed out. Must be a bug in the script, I think.

I have not noticed anything breaking after setting it to manual. As stated earlier I removed roxwatch from startups. I don't use Roxmedia to watch my folders, nor Liveshare, nor sharing with media space (UPnP)

This is what I did:

1. In Media manager, tools, if it says stop watching folders, click on it (it will change to start watching folders)

2. Use msconfig (click start, run, type msconfig, click OK) or other startup app to uncheck roxwatch from startup list (or remove it from the run key in the registry). Note: f you use Msconfig, on reboot, you get a message that you are in selective mode: check the box in that message box and it won't show again on future restarts.

3. In services (click start, run, type services.msc, click OK,) scroll down to the RoxMediaDB, double click on it to open properties, stop if it is started, set it to manual, click apply, OK. Ditto for RoxUPnPRenderer and RoxUPnPserver.

That stops them from starting at reboot. RoxmediaDB will startup when needed if you use an EMC8 app, and as far as I can tell stays that way unless you kill it, or restart the PC.

This is what I did:

What does Roxio Hard Drive Watcher do? I noticed it is Started as a Service and is on Automatic. Does it need to be that way? Any problem with stopping it and setting it to manual?

Archived