• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
What's the frequency Kenneth?

Toast thinks my MPEG2 files are music

Question

I've converted four mpeg2 files from my ReplayTV to properly configured (de-interlaced, AC3) mpeg2 files, using ffmpegX (which in turn uses ffmpeg) in order to burn to disk. Quicktime Player, MPEG Streamclip, MediaCentral and VideoLanClient all recognize these as MPEG2 movies. Toast thinks they're music. The whole REASON for running them through ffmpegx was do get them to a standard format everything SHOULD understand, but Toast (and only Toast) thinks they're music. WTF?

8 answers to this question

I don't know about ReplayTV files. MPEG2 Works has the ability to convert those files, too.

What happens when you choose Convert to MPEG from MPEG Streamclip? Does that write a file with the correct header for use in Toast?

Try adding the files to Toast via the Media Browser rather than directly dragging to the Toast Video window. I don't know why that would make any difference, but sometimes dumb ideas work.

You say Toast crashes when starting to encode the files. If you choose Never Re-encode in the Custom Encoder window, does Toast still crash?

I don't know about ReplayTV files. MPEG2 Works has the ability to convert those files, too.

What happens when you choose Convert to MPEG from MPEG Streamclip? Does that write a file with the correct header for use in Toast?

Try adding the files to Toast via the Media Browser rather than directly dragging to the Toast Video window. I don't know why that would make any difference, but sometimes dumb ideas work.

You say Toast crashes when starting to encode the files. If you choose Never Re-encode in the Custom Encoder window, does Toast still crash?

I tried MPEG Streamclip. It read and wrote the files fine, but Toast still didn't like them. I tried the media browser and it still thought they were music. I'll try the Never Re-encode. Haven't tried that.

I did find out that the crashing only happened on the MacBook Pro. The G5 didn't crash and made discs with the rtvtools output, so I guess it's a bug in the Intel code.

I'll try the Never Re-encode. Haven't tried that.

I did find out that the crashing only happened on the MacBook Pro. The G5 didn't crash and made discs with the rtvtools output, so I guess it's a bug in the Intel code.

Ah! The Intel was running 7.1 and the G5 was running 7.0.2 because of the crashing problem, which I reported before.

I did try "Never" for the re-encode option. It made no difference.

So, I can go back to 7.0.2, and have unpresentable menus, or no DVDs at all. I'd say 8-10 hours of futzing with all of this has been enough.

I think I found a rather convoluted workaround.

Use 7.0.2 to author a temporary bogus disc (this causes 7.0.2 to re-encode the files.)

Use 7.1 to re-author the disc from the VIDEO_TS folder created by 7.0.2. 7.1 will demux the files and re-multiplex them, and create menus according to the 7.1 editing of them.

Yeah...good luck remembering 6 weeks from now.

Edited by What's the frequency Kenneth?

I think I found a rather convoluted workaround.

Use 7.0.2 to author a temporary bogus disc (this causes 7.0.2 to re-encode the files.)

Use 7.1 to re-author the disc from the VIDEO_TS folder created by 7.0.2. 7.1 will demux the files and re-multiplex them, and create menus according to the 7.1 editing of them.

Yeah...good luck remembering 6 weeks from now.

Well, the last few weeks I've been trying to author some new ReplayTV content, and wouldn't you know it?--7.0.2 now crashes on ReplayTV files...I don't know whether it has anything to do with 10.4.8 or what, but I'm just about ready to toss Toast, because lately, it can't seem to burn a DVD unless it was a RIPPED DVD being burned back to DVD. I could have kept my license to Popcorn and used it--I didn't have to waste the extra money on Toast.

I've converted files using ffmpegX (which in turn uses ffmpeg) in order to burn to disk. Toast thinks they're music.

Workaround: use Author as DVD for each clip first, or use different encoding options (decode with QT; mpeg2enc).